Blink 2.1

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't post this here, but it applies... from August 3:

"After a little over a year, my Blink EVSE (via EV Project) died Thursday with the infamous microSD card failure that kills the UI. Called Ecotality/Blink support and reported the problem. Mr. Electric, their contractor here, called me back within 90 minutes. They tried to schedule for the same day in the afternoon... but I was busy, so I picked Friday 8-9 AM instead. Mr. Electric showed up at 8:15. MicroSD card replaced. RFID reader removed. Tested. Done. Firmware on card was 2.1; I was previously running 2.0. Nice job, guys.

I did have to re-enter the Wi-Fi info, my off-peak charging schedule, and the PG&E Summer & Winter TOU kWh rates again."

Anyway, great service and everything is still stable.

dandrewk said:
After a couple of months with Blink, I am suddenly getting self-test failures. Never got them before, and I think it started around the time the 2.1 update was pushed to my Blink - about 3 weeks ago.

Here's what happens: I drive home, plug the Leaf in, it's on a timer so usually it clicks a few times and then goes into standby mode. All is well. But now, every two or three times, instead of going into standby the Blink alarm sounds and I get the "orange screen of death". It instructs me to touch the screen to reset, but after a few seconds I get the self test failure again. The only way out of it is unplugging/plugging the unit and redoing the screen calibration, etc. This always works, but is time consuming and annoying. Note - it's never failed to charge (knock on wood) and otherwise never given any problems.

I will be calling Blink his week, but has anyone else experienced this?

Followup. I called Blink service and the guy on the phone could not be more helpful. He was aware of this problem and said a repairman would be calling for an appointment. This was on a Friday around 4 PM. Two hours later a repairman called, and three days later he came out. The problem is one of the connectors was improperly insulated, causing a static buildup that would cause the error. He fixed it, and I've had (knock on wood) zero problems for six weeks.

Major thumbs up to Ecotality on this one!

dandrewk said:
Followup. I called Blink service and the guy on the phone could not be more helpful. He was aware of this problem and said a repairman would be calling for an appointment. This was on a Friday around 4 PM. Two hours later a repairman called, and three days later he came out. The problem is one of the connectors was improperly insulated, causing a static buildup that would cause the error. He fixed it, and I've had (knock on wood) zero problems for six weeks.
Major thumbs up to Ecotality on this one!
My Blink unit had been giving the "OSOD" failure every 1-2 weeks since it was installed in Jan 2011.
Several visits from Ecotality did not resolve it until this last visit, about 6 weeks ago. The description of the fix that I received was slightly different than yours but the results ar the same. It's been operating without fail since.

I just had 2 Blinks installed (a couple of hours ago). They both updated to firmware version "L2_CONVERSION, 035A, 1.2, 1.10" after a few minutes. That doesn't sound like the latest since when I go to blinknetwork.com each one of them says "2.1.20120404B is available".

The logs for each one show:

Oct 1 16:44:55 L2_CONVERSION user.err root: Attempting update download

Repeatedly.

Should I just be patient, or call them?

Cheezmo said:
Should I just be patient, or call them?
Can you confirm that they are able to reach the internet OK? I would wait a couple days before contacting them. I'm surprised that the units didn't ship with 2.1 - or at the very least, the techs who installed it didn't force the update to 2.1 while they were there.

The installer said they usually update right after connecting, but sometimes they don't.

In any event, one of them did start updating its firmware it is stuck on the "your firmware is being updated" screen for about 45 minutes now. I guess I'll wait a while, but I'm tempted to pull the plug on it since I doubt it should take that long.

The other one says "your firmware is being updated" also.. I'll let them do their thing ...

Cheezmo said:
The installer said they usually update right after connecting, but sometimes they don't.

In any event, one of them did start updating its firmware it is stuck on the "your firmware is being updated" screen for about 45 minutes now. I guess I'll wait a while, but I'm tempted to pull the plug on it since I doubt it should take that long.

The other one says "your firmware is being updated" also.. I'll let them do their thing ...

My new Blink was crap, rebooting, not connecting, and stuck in 1.2 for almost two weeks I think... They had no way to push the software manually though the auto attempts were made every few minutes or so. It eventually updated itself, it's at 2.1 and the uptime is almost two months now.

Back