Blink - Many (or all?) stations down?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
walterbays said:
davewill said:
PPPS, it would sure ease my infrastructure anxiety if anyone anywhere could cite a single instance of Blink having repaired a broken charging station since the CCG acquisition. Anyone see it happen?

There are a cluster of Blink chargers near the roller coaster in Mission Bay. One was broken forever and after the bankruptcy it is working. I didn't see anyone fix it, but it was broken for a long time. Other than the really slow charge rate for my RAV4, Blink is great. They would be cheaper than charging at home if they could do 40Amps for the $1/hour.

Are they messing up with the home EVSEs too? The time on my home Blink was off by 5 hours. It stopped from charging because of the timer settings. I checked and it still in network time mode and connected to the network. First failure in 2.5 years.

I wonder if I should take it off the network. I will just put the time in manual for now.

camasleaf said:
I wonder if I should take it off the network. I will just put the time in manual for now.
Why not turn off Blink timer and use car timer? Then you needn't care about Blink's clock and you'll still get Blink email charging notifications which are nice when Carwings is down.

If you can afford to buy a Tesla at the drop off a hat, it's tough for me to feel sorry for you. I can barely afford my Leaf and I borrow other people's cars if I need to go long distances.

I think the intent for the leaf is it being a city, or short commute car. If you use it for anything other than trips where you only charge at home or at other private charging stations, you have to have greater skills than the average motorist. If you don't find those challenges exciting and fun, you ought to be driving a ice powered car for those trips.. or a tesla ..

camasleaf said:
Are they messing up with the home EVSEs too? The time on my home Blink was off by 5 hours. It stopped from charging because of the timer settings. I checked and it still in network time mode and connected to the network. First failure in 2.5 years.
I believe they are. I am a thousand miles away, and have the same time setting that you do. With the opposite problem--the car started charging when I plugged it in. So I manually told it to charge later, and went in the house expecting I'd have to get on the computer and re-enter the schedule...something must have happened at the new year (20.14 K bug? :) ) Only when I started looking at it did I notice the clock was wrong. And wrong by exactly 5 hours. And so I came here to see if...

Oh, I went to check the clock setting, and this is what I got:

• The device time cannot be changed while your vehicle is connected. Please unplug your vehicle in order to adjust the time.

Wow, this computer clock stuff sure is tricky! Lucky they stopped me in time :roll:

It had not occurred to me until now, but I guess the pubic units are securely installed. If they were put together the way the ones in our garages were, we could go out and "upgrade" them so they would act like Electric Vehicle Service Equipment (i.e., charge the car when you plug it in).

walterbays said:
Why not turn off Blink timer and use car timer?
I guess I just wanted to be able to claim to be the guy that got a Blink to do his bidding :D

I like those people that run out of battery and with charging stations all around them and then want to blame everyone else for their problems, don't drive an EV if you can't figure it out. We are so lucky here in San Diego with the amount of stations here. There was no reason here to run out of battery.

Fred

Newnan, GA at the Kroger Monday at 830pm. I tried to use a guest code that I paid $2 for online and neither charger would work. Called Blink and got another code, it did not work either. BTW-Blink also told me no way to get my $2 back. The next closest blink charger is closed after business hours and the code expires in a day. I've been waiting for my blink card to come in the mail for 2 weeks. I went back home and parked my Leaf. My cord should be back from upgrade tomorrow.

davewill said:
Mine was off, too. I went into settings and after I exited the date and time screen it corrected itself.
Thanks, that worked for me. I had also noted that the firmware version is unchanged from the August update. In addition, uptime shows 29 days. So it must have been a pre-installed bug :)

I just realized this Blnk is All Mine now. Nobody offered to renew anything.

I will say, here in Texas, CarCharging group has done nothing to maintain the system. In fact, I remember an email they sent out saying they were working on getting stations back on line, etc. etc. The problem? The listed all the states they are working hard in - Texas was not one of them. Thanks CarCharging for pointing out you don't care too much for Texas as other states. They should have been smart and sent that email to owners only in those states instead of boasting how awesome they are at not repairing stations in your state....yea...

We have had many stations down for multiple months (some going over a half a year...awesome!). But, I always try and make sure I can make it at least to a QC somewhere if a local level 2 is unavaialble. The fact that 2/3rds of all locations and stations (including dealerships!) are Blink there is little choice of them or nothing - making their station problems more of a hassle.

Sorry that you had such problems with the blink station. I will agree their customer service is AWFUL. I can only hope CarCharging gets their act in gear

I was surprised by a call from an electrician working for Blink who came to fix my home EVSE. I had reported my rare intermittent ground fault issue (orange screen) just before Ecotality bankruptcy to get it in the queue in case the new owner decided to honor Blink's warranty commitments. Seemingly CarCharging does so intend. He told me they had been servicing many stations in San Diego, public as well as residential; and that the SDSU quick charging station which had been down for 2 months was recently repaired. I'll be watching plugshare check-ins for confirmation that it's really operational. I hope that CarCharging finds some way to make money and stay in business.

walterbays said:
I was surprised by a call from an electrician working for Blink who came to fix my home EVSE. I had reported my rare intermittent ground fault issue (orange screen) just before Ecotality bankruptcy to get it in the queue in case the new owner decided to honor Blink's warranty commitments. Seemingly CarCharging does so intend. He told me they had been servicing many stations in San Diego, public as well as residential; and that the SDSU quick charging station which had been down for 2 months was recently repaired. I'll be watching plugshare check-ins for confirmation that it's really operational. I hope that CarCharging finds some way to make money and stay in business.

+1
I got a call today as well.
They are coming out Saturday to replace my overheating J1772?
Wow.

Hope this a sign of good things to come.

Almost as good as everything being down, Blink has screwed up credit card processing. Last night I got an email saying that my credit card declined the $1 charge for my bill and they were suspending my account until I fixed it. My card was not expired or anything else, so I called Blink. They informed me that it wasn't working for ANYONE, and until they get it fixed, they are just issuing guest codes as people need them. They aren't sure how long it's going to take to fix.

So, if your Blink card doesn't work, call for a code.

davewill said:
So, if your Blink card doesn't work, call for a code.
I don't know... the last time I attempted to use a Blink station a week or so ago the card reader didn't work - of course - so I did phone for a code. After about 10 minutes with the nice polite but helpless woman at Blink she finally admitted that their computer system wasn't letting her generate any codes. But if I would wait (as opposed to getting to my show in time) she would try to get her supervisor to generate a code for me.

I still wish that CarCharging would succeed, be profitable, and expand. But so far they seem completely uninterested in running a business.

Back