Boardwalk Nissan Redwood City, CA, shuts off EVSE at night

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetForMe

I desperately needed 20-30 minutes at L2 or better, and the only L2 on my route was at Boardwalk Nissan. I got there, and although I could get at the charger, it was not powered.

Nissan really needs to do all they can to support us until the infrastructure is in better shape. I had to charge at a friend's house for 2 hours (he was 5 mi out of the way). Fortunately he was there, and up this late, and able to help me out.

Barely made it home. The estimator needs to be better, and to consider the programmed route in its estimates (how much is on a fwy vs. surface streets?).

JetForMe said:
I desperately needed 20-30 minutes at L2 or better, and the only L2 on my route was at Boardwalk Nissan. I got there, and although I could get at the charger, it was not powered.

Nissan really needs to do all they can to support us until the infrastructure is in better shape. I had to charge at a friend's house for 2 hours (he was 5 mi out of the way). Fortunately he was there, and up this late, and able to help me out.

Barely made it home. The estimator needs to be better, and to consider the programmed route in its estimates (how much is on a fwy vs. surface streets?).

Brendan Dolan is the community manager for Nissan Boardwalk. He is a strong supporter of the forum...
I doubt they deliberately turned their EVSE off at night.

You should try and contact him to let him know what happened to you recently...

mxp said:
Brendan Dolan is the community manager for Nissan Boardwalk. He is a strong supporter of the forum...
I doubt they deliberately turned their EVSE off at night.
Actually, Boardwalk told me they do in fact disable the one accessible EVSE at night. :evil:
PlugShare might be your best bet, and/or join BayLEAFs and get on the Bay Area LEAF map. :)

I have yet to find a dealer anywhere within 40 miles of me that has L2 access after they are closed. And, unfortunately, that is when you are most likely to need it. I agree that Nissan needs to seriously address this issue.

JetForMe said:

The only things I can figure is that the dealerships don't want people getting mugged on their property...or they don't want the cops to get used to seeing people hanging around late at night.

davewill said:
The only things I can figure is that the dealerships don't want people getting mugged on their property...or they don't want the cops to get used to seeing people hanging around late at night.

And this seems perfectly reasonable to me. There's a million dollars in inventory sitting there.

BlueSL said:
davewill said:

And this seems perfectly reasonable to me. There's a million dollars in inventory sitting there.

We have over that just in used car inventory. We have to be careful at night, as you'd be surprised at how things like wheels, antenna's, etc "grow legs" during the dark hours. It's meant to be a sterile environment at night so it's easier to spot anything going wrong.

Combine that with people bumping into cars, or getting injured when nobody is around, and it's a huge liability. The cost of electricity is nothing, but in sue happy California, there is a lot of CYA factor with dealerships.

This is a problem that needs a solution. The infrastructure build out needs to include places where someone can go at two in the morning and get a charge, in relative safety. ALL the gas stations aren't closed at night, and some chargers somewhere need to be available, too. Car dealers, even if they were willing to shoulder the responsibility, aren't really located in the best places for this. They are usually in areas that get pretty lonely late at night.

If in the Redwood city area and needing a charge try the Chargepoint stations in downtown Redwood City. There are 2 in the Marshall St. Garage and 2 in the garage near the movie theatre. I used one of the Marshall St. stations on Sunday. Parking was free. Very convenient to shops/cafes downtown. Of course you will need one of their cards to access the station. Worked great.

Back