Boatload of questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomatterwhat

Hi All,

I am picking up a Leaf 2015 S soon with charging package. My understanding is this will allow me to charge at 6.6 vs 3.3.

I am looking at chargers, what's the difference in say the Bosch EL-51253 on Amazon vs another? Does
the car have a timer or do I need one with a timer?

In regards to calling an electrician out I understand I need a 240V outlet, is 30 amps enough? My breaker
is on the side wall of my garage, would you install it near the breaker to save cost? I'm thinking yes
because I could then backinto my garage to charge if I wanted. If not it's about 20 feet of run around
my garage with conduit. What type plug is needed? NEMA xxx?

Is buying from Amazon ok for tax credit?

Greg

nomatterwhat said:
Hi All,

I am picking up a Leaf 2015 S soon with charging package. My understanding is this will allow me to charge at 6.6 vs 3.3.
Yes, the charge package will allow you to charge at 6.0 kW (6.6 kW draw from the wall) versus 3.3 kW (3.8 kW draw from the wall). It should also have a DCFC port that will allow you to use Chademo fast charging, if you have any of those in your area.
I am looking at chargers, what's the difference in say the Bosch EL-51253 on Amazon vs another?
There are so many makes and models of EVSEs ("Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment", the "charger" is in your car) it is hard to say one is better than another. The Bosch models seems to have a good reputation from what I've seen. Clipper Creek is also well regarded.
Does the car have a timer or do I need one with a timer?
The S model has an end timer. You set the time of day by which you want the charge to be completed and it will be done by then (it actually finishes a bit early). On the S model there is only one timer and it does not have days of the week or start time settings (unlike the SV/SL models). But it should work fine for most people. Buying an EVSE with a timer function strikes me as unnecessary, but that's just an opinion.
In regards to calling an electrician out I understand I need a 240V outlet, is 30 amps enough?
Not for the 30 Amp Bosch station you listed above. That one needs a 40 Amp circuit. There are other EVSEs that would work on a 30 Amp circuit. The current rating of the EVSE needs to be no more than 80% of the rating of the circuit (so, 24 Amp max for a 30 Amp circuit). I hope that is clear because it is important. (But any electrician will know to do it right.)
My breaker is on the side wall of my garage, would you install it near the breaker to save cost? I'm thinking yes because I could then back into my garage to charge if I wanted. If not it's about 20 feet of run around my garage with conduit.
Yes, I installed mine next to the breaker box on the side wall to make it simple and cheap. Consider the length of the EVSE cord and whether you can reach the parking spot of the car. It is also helpful if the cord can reach outside the garage so that you can charge the car in your driveway, if needed. Few people do this but I run my cord along the garage ceiling on bicycle hooks to keep it off the floor and out of the way.
What type plug is needed? NEMA xxx?
Most EVSEs are hardwired to the circuit and don't use plugs. There are some that can be plugged-in and what sort of plug you would use depends on the current rating of the circuit used. A plug-in EVSE has the advantage that it is portable. But a hard-wired one is considered to be safer — especially if mounted outdoors — and may be required by local electric codes in some places.
Is buying from Amazon ok for tax credit?
There is no more federal tax credit for EVSEs. Unless you have a state credit, it isn't a factor (but yes, buying from Amazon should qualify if you do have a state tax credit).

You didn't ask, but be aware that even if you don't go with an EVSE that has a 30 Amp rating to take full advantage of the 6.0 kW car charging (27.5 Amps, 240 Volts) you can still charge the car fairly quickly with a lower current EVSE. For example http://www.EVSEupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will max out at 20 Amps but even that will charge a LEAF from empty to full in about five hours (and very few people need empty to full on a regular basis). On the other hand, if you are trying to install a higher current EVSE for future use with a car with a larger battery it might make sense to get one with a rating of 30 Amps (requires a 40 Amp circuit) or even 40 Amps (requires a 50 Amp circuit). But for home charging, usually overnight, faster charging has little advantage unless one does a LOT of miles every day. The real advantage of that 6.0 kW charger on the LEAF is when you are charging at a public charge station away from home. Then faster charging means a lot less time waiting around.

I just bought a Clipper Creek HCS-40 from Metro Plug In out of GA - nice people to work with-same day shipping too. It's a 30amp EVSE which would be good for your 6.6kw car. What sold me on the CC was the 3 year warranty and I could install myself (some manufacturers require professional install to validate warranty). And that it could be used outside. So I hardwired up mine outside through waterproof conduit and junction box myself.

Back