Bosch Power Max™ 30A - Seeking Reviews

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyZEVer

Hello! I was seeking reviews of the Bosch Power Max 30A EVSE ($593). Do you have one? Have you had any problems charging? How does it compare to other, more expensive chargers you have seen or used?

Well I would say the very first thing I don't like about it is the ordering process. They make you phone in the order and get pre-qualified to buy it prior to buying it. I REALLY don't like that. Why don't they just put it in Amazon so we can just order it without the runaround?

I called, they said its hard wired only. No plug in option. I want an EVSE that I can unplug and take with me if I move. I ordered the Siemens versicharge instead.

I don't know if anyone has received them yet. They didn't start shipping until the end of this month. My order placed on June 11 was scheduled to ship tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get a shipping update on it.

Agreed that the ordering was a little bit of a nuisance since you needed to call in. They phone call took quite a bit longer than it should have, just waiting for them to process the order. They talked about a qualification process on the web site, but I just called in and said I wanted an EVSE for my Leaf and they started the process. No real questions about the house, garage, or electric panel/service. I'm in Kansas, where they didn't have an install team, so maybe that was a difference.

Be prepared for a little more cost than the $593 price listed. I was charged $25 shipping and the standard sales tax for my city. Total price came in at $664.66.

I've started the process of ordering one. I tried to order by the website (they have a registration) and it failed, so I called in. They said the price and they set me up with an electrician who is supposed to call today, also gave me the number for the electrician so if they don't call today, then I'll call to get the guy in for an estimate. I'm running with the 110v charger only until this gets installed so I'm chomping at the bit for one.

They did tell me that it is hard-wired only, and confirmed on the phone with me some specifics of the installation (where my breaker box is, how far the box is from the main power line, whether I have overhead or underground lines). They did have a contractor but asked if I had a contractor already lined up just in case.

Even if it does end up costing a little more for the unit itself, it'll still be cheaper than the $900 option that all the other ones are.

I considered this unit, but I really wanted the surge protection feature of the AeroVironment (not many EVSEs offer this feature) because of power issues in my area. Since they had it on sale on Amazon.com for $800, no tax, free shipping for the unit with the 15' cord, I jumped on that instead.

I do agree that Bosch needs to put these on Amazon. I'll check with my contact and see if there is a way of making this process easier (or if they at least plan to).

As for quality, these are supposedly completely new designs (and not rehashed SPX models), plus I can't imagine Bosch wanting to get all this attention with this great price, and then screw by making low quality units.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has any trouble with this unit. My work is investigating options for additional/replacement EVSEs. The old Eaton units we have are very unreliable.

Reviews will come, once Bosch starts shipping units. I just called to get a status update on my order, originally scheduled to ship today. The response was, "Oh, those will ship next week when we get our first shipment".

Sounds like these unit are still so green that they need mowing, age wise. Will wait and see!

According to their spec, it does have surge protection:

Electrical Protection:
Over current, short circuit, over voltage, under voltage, ground fault, surge protection, over temperature

I wish it has delay timer like Blink HQ or VersiCharge does.

I have my Bosch in transit, UPS. but I cannot verify when it will arrive, so waiting . . .
I have a copy of the Install Instructions. To order one, just Email Steve Frazier at "Frazier, Steve" <[email protected]> or call him on tel:877-805-3873 :D

I've got one on order, I'll be giving it a thorough going over when it arrives. It's made by Delta electronics, one of the larger manufacturers of power supplies in the world. (Chinese) There's a good chance you already have a "wall wart" somewhere in you house made by them.

Blink (Ecotality) is also selling the same design as their "HQ" model. (Anything is likely a step up from their older products!)

-Phil

Good to see they are shipping now... hopefully mine ships out this week.

Anyone got one in their hands? Impressions?

Thanks,
Roy

Ingineer said:
I've got one on order, I'll be giving it a thorough going over when it arrives. It's made by Delta electronics, one of the larger manufacturers of power supplies in the world. (Chinese) There's a good chance you already have a "wall wart" somewhere in you house made by them.

Blink (Ecotality) is also selling the same design as their "HQ" model. (Anything is likely a step up from their older products!)

-Phil

The Bosch Power Max does look like Blink HQ. Enclosure dimension and front placement of control is similar. Blink HQ has time delay function and asking for $699. According to their email announcement on June 30, Blink will be shipping out their unit in July.
BTW, is there anyone considering Schneider EV which is kind of inactive now after the recall? I like the form fit with smaller width.

I can't see going with the Schneider. The price is too close to the Leviton from Home Depot for $849. Bosch is the only one with a great price. I'm waiting to hear what Phil has to say about the Bosch. One thing I like about the Bosch is the power-off switch. I wonder what the standby power is for the others. Phil, thanks in advance for the review of the Bosch!

like2bike said:
I can't see going with the Schneider. The price is too close to the Leviton from Home Depot for $849. Bosch is the only one with a great price. I'm waiting to hear what Phil has to say about the Bosch. One thing I like about the Bosch is the power-off switch. I wonder what the standby power is for the others. Phil, thanks in advance for the review of the Bosch!
I ordered a Seimens Versacharge EVSE with rear plug. I don't like the idea of hard wiring the EVSE. Too hard to replace or move if needed. The Seimens mounts over the outlet so it looks hard wired. Seems like the best of both worlds. I worry about the safety of an exposed 240v outlet in the garage, but covered by the EVSE seems safe. I'm also planning a GFCI breaker for extra protection.

Ingineer said:

It was from an astute person at Tesla Motors Club is where I learned of these units likely being re-badged Delta units (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/rd/evcs/evcs_product.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). There are much better pictures in the US datasheet.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've seen power supplies and fans in big name OEM computers/consumer electronics made by Delta.

Anybody got Power Max yet? I registered online last Monday, and tried to call them since last Wednesday. I either got sent to voice mail directly, or sales person took my phone number but never called back. Last Friday I was waiting for "the next available sales person" for 30 minutes before I was sent to voice mail :cry:

My online registration utterly failed (the first day it was available), and the call-center rep for my area, whenever I put my ZIP code in, has never been in the office. I start every time I call them by seeing if he is in the office, and now I just don't even leave messages anymore, and I just stay on the line to talk to "the next available representative". Everyone who has answered on that line has been professional.

After two weeks, the electrician that they contacted for me finally came out and looked at my setup last Wednesday. There were some pretty bad storms in the area that might have had some effect on their responsiveness the first time. I still haven't heard back from them, although I expect the holiday might have delayed that a bit. I'm planning on calling back again today to get an update on the status.

Overall, I've not been impressed with the responsiveness of the Bosch customer support, especially given that they are apparently separated into regions, and the rep for my region has never been in the office, and has never responded to any voice mail I've left.

Given the amount of driving that we do, we can get by with the 110v charger indefinitely, but we really want that L2 charging so that we just don't need to worry about how many miles are left in the "tank". I dream about those days when I can do a 60-80 mile RT flippantly.

Back