Bosch Power Max™ 30A - Seeking Reviews

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called about info and their order process is complete failure. No answers, disconnects, no return calls, VM, could not register, etc. If this is how they sell a product I would hate to have service on a unit as it would likely take weeks to process. Typical big corporation attempting to sell a consumer product.

EVDRIVER said:
I called about info and their order process is complete failure. No answers, disconnects, no return calls, VM, could not register, etc.

Lol, it's like LEAF deja-vu :lol:

Now, I can see having jumped through hoops and waiting on pins and needles to be an early-adopter for the LEAF (although I bowed out of that mess). But for an EVSE? :? Leviton makes a good unit with a great track record. If you want low cost and portability there's EVSE Upgrade. Be done with it.

Has anyone gotten his/her hands on a unit? Any reviews?

I tried calling them yesterday. I was put on hold for 25 minutes, then receive the message: there is no one here to take your call, please call back later. What the hell? Why didn't you say that before putting me on hold for 25 minutes?

I called today to get status on my order which was placed on 6/27. They said they were on back-order and would hopefully ship out last week of July. When I placed the order, it was supposed to ship out first or second week at the latest.

Did anyone actually get one or was it just lies?

Sadly this has been the pattern with almost all the EVSE's sold (initially). How could they be selling on eBay if they haven't shipped any yet :?:

I just received my Bosch PowerMax 30A unit!!!!! Extremely excited. Will be installing it over the weekend and will update once installed. I already have a 40 amp circuit ready in my garage. 40amp breakers and some 25 ft of 8 gauge wire. Crossing my fingers, hope Bosch won't let me down.

BestPal said:
I just received my Bosch PowerMax 30A unit!!!!! Extremely excited. Will be installing it over the weekend and will update once installed. I already have a 40 amp circuit ready in my garage. 40amp breakers and some 25 ft of 8 gauge wire. Crossing my fingers, hope Bosch won't let me down.

Look good? When did you place your order?

I just got the installation estimate of $2000 from GE (GreenElectric) for my home in San Jose, CA. A 40A circuit needs to be added to the breaker box, run through the attic from one corner of the house to the other, then going out to the gate post.

The install cost seems high, was explained by GE that Bosch adds a mark-up, which GE won't disclose. Bosch recommended installer seems to be required in order to get the 3 year warranty on the unit. Bosch unit + installation required for the

Word from Bosch (messed up order process is a different rant) is that if we close the deal next week, I can get in on the shipment from Taiwan at the end of July. Bosch claims to have shipped a batch at the end of June.

To fill the gap, I'm recharging every night after work for 3 hours at the Cupertino library, at $1.50/hour then topping off overnight with the 110 charger.

I installed my 30A Bosh EVSE on Monday of this week. I have used it 5 times so far to top off the battery. It works as advertised and shuts of automatically. The only thing that is a surprise to me is the size of the unit which is approx 14 x 17 inches. I would include a picture, but don't know how. I got it installed by an electrician for$75 as I did most of the infrastructure.

rwalker said:
Look good? When did you place your order?

I placed my order back in May.

ianlin said:
Are you planning to install it yourself?

I was planning to install it myself but as I got to it, I realized that my 40A circuit's got 8 gauge aluminum wiring when Bosh unit installation instructions specifically call for copper. So I thought it would be as easy as re-routing the cable through a couple of studs and mounting the unit on the wall but I can't make the call of aluminum vs. copper as I'm not an electrician. So my installation is delayed till I can get an electrician in for consultation. I might have to run a new wire to the panel and that's going to be a pain in the butt with the way it's located.

^^^
I'm no electrician either (not even close), but the topic of aluminum wire came up at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from merely charging using the PiP's 120 volt L1 EVSE. You might find the other Priuschat links in there interesting...

rexh62 said:
I installed my 30A Bosh EVSE on Monday of this week. I have used it 5 times so far to top off the battery. It works as advertised and shuts of automatically. The only thing that is a surprise to me is the size of the unit which is approx 14 x 17 inches. I would include a picture, but don't know how. I got it installed by an electrician for$75 as I did most of the infrastructure.
Good to hear! How much was shipping, if you don't mind me asking?

cwerdna said:
^^^
I'm no electrician either (not even close), but the topic of aluminum wire came up at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from merely charging using the PiP's 120 volt L1 EVSE. You might find the other Priuschat links in there interesting...

Thank you. That got me scared enough to go with a licensed electrician advise on this Al wiring. 30A is no joke. As I was just ALMOST swayed to finish the job after stopping by Lowes to price out copper 6-3 vs. my AL 8-3 and the guy at Lows said I should be OK with AL as long as there is no direct contact of Aluminum to Copper. The contacts on the back of the Bosh Power Max 30 are not copper. I asked him if he's an electrician and he said no. I thanked him for his time and went home thinking I can just finish the job. Now realizing how foolish I am and should've just gone with my initial instincts and not Lows guy's advise. I'll get it done right now, by someone lichened - I like DIY around my house as much as the next guy but I'm not willing to burn my garage or house down though... Thanks again.

BestPal said:
I was planning to install it myself but as I got to it, I realized that my 40A circuit's got 8 gauge aluminum wiring when Bosh unit installation instructions specifically call for copper. So I thought it would be as easy as re-routing the cable through a couple of studs and mounting the unit on the wall but I can't make the call of aluminum vs. copper as I'm not an electrician. So my installation is delayed till I can get an electrician in for consultation. I might have to run a new wire to the panel and that's going to be a pain in the butt with the way it's located.
Aluminum is frequently used in homes for large amperage major appliances and most main service feeds. So in and of itself, thats not a huge concern, but you need to be careful how connections are made to it with proper equipment and technique.
Make sure any connections made to aluminum are using devices/connections that are rated for use with aluminum.
Make sure any connections are properly torqued. This is always important but especially important when using aluminum.

Aluminum is can be more dangerous because it easily develops an oxide which isn't visible that does not conduct electricity well. If a poor connection is made due to the oxidation, lots of heat may be generated as a result of the poor connection. Proper connection types and technique are critical.

In summary, I would assume that your existing wiring is fine. Make sure the Bosch Power Max is rated for connection with aluminum. Have an electrician look at it and perform the connection.

You might want to research something called NoAlox. I installed a range receptacle in a house where the wiring in that circuit was aluminum and an electrician friend of mine recommened I use it. I found this thread not everyone seems to think it matters but it cost almost nothing so I figured it can't hurt.

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f5/noalox-anti-oxidant-25803/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nubo said:
EVDRIVER said:
I called about info and their order process is complete failure. No answers, disconnects, no return calls, VM, could not register, etc.

Leviton makes a good unit with a great track record. If you want low cost and portability there's EVSE Upgrade. Be done with it.

^^^ +1 I feel exactly the same way. ^^^

surfingslovak said:
rexh62 said:
Good to hear! How much was shipping, if you don't mind me asking?

My shipping was $25.

Back