Bosch Power Max™ 30A - Seeking Reviews

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered one also. The Bosch Power Max 30A Level 2 EVSE with 18 ft cord. I was told that they will arrive at the local Bosch Automotive (local to me anyway) on July 26th. Then I will be able to schedule an install date. I'll post photos and do a quick review once it's installed.

Cheers!

Mike R

My order shipped yesterday as well. UPS tracking says it'll be here tomorrow. I placed my order on July 17.

PowerMax 30A 18' cable, with the installation wrapped in.

jamuraa said:
My order shipped yesterday as well. UPS tracking says it'll be here tomorrow. I placed my order on July 17.

Jamuraa, are you doing self install or having a Bosch partner install it? Really pissed now, I ordered mine June 26th. Doing a self install.

rwalker said:
jamuraa said:

Jamuraa, are you doing self install or having a Bosch partner install it? Really pissed now, I ordered mine June 26th. Doing a self install.

That's what I meant when I said the installation was wrapped in, we're having a Bosch partner install it.

rwalker said:
tsowen said:
tsowen said:
I placed my order today. Shipping is $25 as well. Estimated shipping date is end of this month.

To my surprise, my order was shipped today.

tsowen, when was your order placed?

Thanks,
Roy

I registered on July 1st, placed order on July 16 (PowerMax 30A 18' cable). I don't use their partner for installation.

tsowen said:
I registered on July 1st, placed order on July 16 (PowerMax 30A 18' cable). I don't use their partner for installation.

I called Bosch earlier today to check on the status of my June 11 order. Basically, the status is that it will ship at some point, but no idea when. He said they got a bunch the last couple days and expect more next week. He also said all orders are shipped out in the order that they were received, so the two of you that ordered in July and received shipment notifications before me are actually lying to me. I told him that I'd believe multiple people on the Internet that had no reason to lie before I'd believe them that orders were actually getting shipped out in the order that they were received.

The Leaf arrives next week. I really was hoping to have the Level 2 EVSE installed before I received the car. Oh well, I guess that isn't going to happen. A couple weeks from now, it won't matter. I'll either be enjoying my Bosch EVSE, or I will have cancelled the order and ordered an EVSE that is actually shipping in quantity.

FWIW, when I asked about this I was told that orders using their installers would receive priority and self install would be approx a month later.

We had their installer give an estimate.

They wanted $2004. Included was 593 for the unit, 25 shipping and 131 for the permit. So $1255 for the install. It's an outdoor install with a 25' run from the box through an existing conduit (ie no fishing) exiting the house at the driveway through an existing cable opening.

Still trickle charging for now.

Altoklez,

I apologize for any confusion! Just to clarify, Bosch will be shipping the new Power Max units based on the order in which they were received regardless if installation was purchased through us. Some units have been shipped out, others will continue to ship throughout the month.

Your patience is appreciated and if you have any questions until then, don’t hesitate to reach out to your personal Vehicle Charging Advisor.

Thank you,
Katie

EVSolutionsbyBosch said:
Altoklez,

I apologize for any confusion! Just to clarify, Bosch will be shipping the new Power Max units based on the order in which they were received regardless if installation was purchased through us. Some units have been shipped out, others will continue to ship throughout the month.

Your patience is appreciated and if you have any questions until then, don’t hesitate to reach out to your personal Vehicle Charging Advisor.

Thank you,
Katie

Katie,

From my perspective only one of 2 scenarios exist, you guys can't get your order fulfillment correct (not FIFO) or you are shipping them out of order based on some criteria. Either way it looks bad... and it is very frustrating.

Roy

Well, I've had mine installed for 3 days now, and it works like a charm. Had an electrician install it outdoors, and the 8/3 wire runs 60' long. The longest part was hiding the wiring under the aluminium panels, but I had already been quoted 450$ for the job (including all the material and taxes) so I didn't care how long it took. Didn't need a timer on the charger (the car has one) but did need an outdoor-ready enclosure. Plug, charge, stop, unplug. Simple, effective, clean interface (one big light that is either green or red, flashing or not). 8/2 wire would have sufficed, but the electrician didn't want to take a chance as he hadn't seen the unit before quoting me. Delivers 30A, charges quickly, I'm happy!

The units were supposed to be out at the end of June, but there's been a delay in the UL approval it seems, which would explain the tardiness in the delivery of the units.

tsowen said:
tsowen said:
I placed my order today. Shipping is $25 as well. Estimated shipping date is end of this month.

To my surprise, my order was shipped today.

Received mine on Tuesday. I had it installed it in my garage over the weekend with 125' 6/2 wire. Charge from near empty (12 miles left) to full takes less than 4 hours. Operation is simple (nothing needs to be done actually), plug in to car is easy. Everything runs smoothly. I am satisfied with this unit.

According to the label on the unit, "Use Copper Conductors Only".

There is an RJ45 port in the terminal compartment. I am sure it's not functioning.

I finally gave up on Bosch. As previously stated, I ordered on June 11 and was still waiting for mine to ship. Adding to the frustration were the reports that people that ordered 4-6 weeks after me had already received their orders, which obviously isn't the end user's fault. I called Bosch yesterday and they said it was scheduled to ship "next week", which is exactly what I've been told every other time I've called for a status update, so the order got cancelled. The only reason Bosch originally got my order was they were supposed to ship "end of June", which was a month before my Leaf was scheduled to be delivered. With the screwed up order processing, I've been barely surviving on L1 charging, leaving the house in the morning without completing the charging cycle that started the day before immediately after I returned home.

I called ClipperCreek and ordered a LCS-25 yesterday afternoon (currently on sale for $495). They shipped the order on the same day, providing UPS tracking info that shows it is on its way. While it won't be as fast as the Bosch charger, ClipperCreek actually shipped me something instead of sitting on my order for a month and a half longer than they said they would.

Obviously, after this drawn out process, I won't be looking at buying Bosch equipment when I install EVSEs at my family's houses located in neighboring towns. While my order was "just for a single unit without installation services", it will be more lost sales in the future.

Got mine installed yesterday. Seems to be working okay - I haven't had too much driving since we got it in. Probably will do more this weekend. I like the simplicity of the unit, but we had to install a place to hang the cable because the plug sticks out quite a bit in our narrow garage.

Still waiting on my unit. I now have no idea when it will actually ship. Everything else is taken care of just waiting for Bosch to ship. UGH!

Mike R

I just installed one of the new BOSCH lower cost EVSE (Power Max EL-51254) - lightweight, 30A, 25-ft cord for a client, price: $749 + shipping. Installation was relatively easy. I had to find AWG 8 Ring terminals (available at OSH) to make the connections to the wiring block on the back. Installation is done without opening the unit at all (so I don't know what is or isn't inside the case). Large LED displays status (blinks green when charging). It also has a large "STOP" button on the front. No timer features. There's a small ON/OFF switch on the side of the unit to completely shut power off. I found no mention of how much stand-by power is consumed, but I suspect is is pretty small. If you don't need the 25-ft cord, get the 18-ft cord version (Power Max EL-51253 $593) and save $156 !

Apologies for the dumb question, but today on the phone the Bosch guy said that I need the 30A Powermax unit, rather than the 16, to charge a 2013 Leaf. This is contrary to what I thought. Can one of you guys clarify?

Also, for those considering a purchase, he said the 30A/18' unit is on back order and won't ship until Aug. 28th at the earliest.

Back