BP installing 45 Level III chargers at US filling stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lne937s

Hopefully the more announcements to come. When you consider that these are only really needed for long trips (most charging is done at home), it really doesn't take very many to connect the country...

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2010/10/bp-to-install-ev-charging-ports.html

BP Products of North America plans to install 45 quick-charging ports for electric cars at its existing gas stations by the end of March 2011.

The direct current fast-charging systems (480-volt, three-phase alternating current input) that BP will be installing are the fastest method for charging electric vehicles. The Blink charging station, which is made by ECOtality, will be able to charge a Nissan Leaf to 80% capacity in 26 minutes – as opposed to eight hours with a 220-volt charger – and a Mitsubishi i-Miev in 20 minutes. The Chevrolet Volt is not compatible with DC charging. Each Blink EV charging station is capable of charging two EVs at once.

BP’s announcement is a part of the EV Project, which is a partnership between the U.S. Department of Energy and ECOtality, a private firm.

BP controls BP- and Amoco-branded gas stations, which is where the charging stations will be installed.

The 45 locations will be in select markets that are closely correlated with the initial launch markets for the Leaf. According to ECOtality, those markets include Phoenix; Tucson, Ariz.; San Diego; Los Angeles; Portland, Ore.; Eugene, Ore.; Salem, Ore.; Corvallis, Ore.; Seattle; Nashville, Tenn.; Knoxville, Tenn.; and Chattanooga, Tenn.

There’s no mention on how much you’ll be charged to “fuel” up your EV in BP's announcement. BP’s aim from this experiment is much like what Best Buy said about its EV charging ports, which is to gain knowledge about consumer habits. From there, who knows? After all, the company is only installing charging stations at 45 of its 11,000 gas stations. There's plenty room for growth if this supposed revolution actually takes off.

If you’re still boycotting BP because of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the New York Times points out that none of the money from the charging stations will financially benefit the corporation. Only local gas station franchise owners will reap the rewards from the stations.

lne937s said:
If you’re still boycotting BP because of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the New York Times points out that none of the money from the charging stations will financially benefit the corporation. Only local gas station franchise owners will reap the rewards from the stations.

I would want to see that in writing!!!!!

I am bewildered that none of the large EV charging infrastructure announcements include the San Francisco Bay Area.

AndyH said:
Hmmm...if this thing will quick charge an iMiev, it's likely a TEPCO/CHAdeMO connector. :D
That's pretty much guaranteed at this point in time since that's what the Leaf will be shipping with.

DeaneG said:
I am bewildered that none of the large EV charging infrastructure announcements include the San Francisco Bay Area.

That surprises me as well. Looking at the number of potential buyers and enthisiasts in Bay area, I would have guessed that this region would be the top priority. Being in Sacramento valley area, that would have been great.

OK this is just creepy. I get the whole damage control thing BP is going for here. Just NOT very interested in parking my LEAF at their station for half an hour to help them fabricate a "green" image.... :? I feel like I need a bath just thinking about it.

TRONZ said:
OK this is just creepy. I get the whole damage control thing BP is going for here. Just NOT very interested in parking my LEAF at their station for half an hour to help them fabricate a "green" image.... :? I feel like I need a bath just thinking about it.

BP is part of EV Project from early on. They must also be kicking in some money.

evnow said:
BP is part of EV Project from early on. They must also be kicking in some money.

Years ago - I think it was when they changed their name from British Petroleum to simply BP - they decided that they were not an oil company, but an energy company. They were one of the early large companies to go into solar power http://www.bp.com/modularhome.do?categoryId=8050

So other than that little matter of destroying the Gulf of Mexico, BP has good environmental credentials. More to the point, regardless of how they calculated that less safety meant more profits on Deepwater Horizon, they were the first (only?) oil company to recognize that oil is a limited resource, and since they wanted BP to continue to exist, then they were going to have to branch out.

lne937s said:
Hopefully the more announcements to come. When you consider that these are only really needed for long trips (most charging is done at home), it really doesn't take very many to connect the country...

BP Products of North America plans to install 45 quick-charging ports for electric cars at its existing gas stations by the end of March 2011.

The direct current fast-charging systems (480-volt, three-phase alternating current input) that BP will be installing are the fastest method for charging electric vehicles. The Blink charging station, which is made by ECOtality, will be able to charge a Nissan Leaf to 80% capacity in 26 minutes – as opposed to eight hours with a 220-volt charger – and a Mitsubishi i-Miev in 20 minutes. The Chevrolet Volt is not compatible with DC charging. Each Blink EV charging station is capable of charging two EVs at once.

BP’s announcement is a part of the EV Project, which is a partnership between the U.S. Department of Energy and ECOtality, a private firm.

BP controls BP- and Amoco-branded gas stations, which is where the charging stations will be installed.

The 45 locations will be in select markets that are closely correlated with the initial launch markets for the Leaf. According to ECOtality, those markets include Phoenix; Tucson, Ariz.; San Diego; Los Angeles; Portland, Ore.; Eugene, Ore.; Salem, Ore.; Corvallis, Ore.; Seattle; Nashville, Tenn.; Knoxville, Tenn.; and Chattanooga, Tenn.

There’s no mention on how much you’ll be charged to “fuel” up your EV in BP's announcement. BP’s aim from this experiment is much like what Best Buy said about its EV charging ports, which is to gain knowledge about consumer habits. From there, who knows? After all, the company is only installing charging stations at 45 of its 11,000 gas stations. There's plenty room for growth if this supposed revolution actually takes off.

I've been in AZ for over 13 years, and I've yet to see a BP or Amoco station anywhere in the Phoenix Area.

LEAFfan said:
I've been in AZ for over 13 years, and I've yet to see a BP or Amoco station anywhere in the Phoenix Area.

BP only sells as Arco in the West.

BP also has the worst safety record of ANY major oil company, at least when it comes to the US.

I absent-mindedly bought petrol from a BP station yesterday, and felt very bad for doing so. For the last week I had being trying to stick with Total stations.

mwalsh said:
LEAFfan said:

BP only sells as Arco in the West.

BP also has the worst safety record of ANY major oil company, at least when it comes to the US.

I absent-mindedly bought petrol from a BP station yesterday, and felt very bad for doing so. For the last week I had being trying to stick with Total stations.

Just remember that it is the same gas going through the same pipeline- the only difference is a relatively small bottle of additives that some companies add to thier storage tanks. That Total station is just as likely to be using fuel from a BP oil rig as the BP station.

The only person you are really hurting by not buying from a BP station is the independant operator that runs the franchise of the local station.

LEAFfan said:
lne937s said:

nouncement is a part of the EV Project, which is a partnership between the U.S. Department of Energy and ECOtality, a private firm.

Somehow I can't imagine AM-PM stations with a charger... But if they are of the same brand as BP & ARCO here are some of the possible stations in the Phoenix area. (25 Mile Radius)
http://www.arco.com/toolserver/arcotool/fuelStationRefineSearch.do

I buy almost exclusively from costco. I like their customer/employees first approach - instead of wall st first approach.

It is interesting to speculate on where the chargers would naturally go. Rest places along freeways is a natural fit. But withing the city - coffee shops are probably the best place. So are theatres, malls etc where you would spend time and expect people coming from far flung suburbs.

So, hopefully the QC at BP will be along the freeways. I need 2 stops to get to Portland or Vancouver.

This is a year old, but Element Hotels will have charging stations (most of them already do) at all their hotels. They are ChargePoint network chargers, probably will need to be upgraded, but at least that is forward thinking by a hotel.

http://development.starwoodhotels.com/news/8/9-in_an_industry_first_all_element_hotels_to_install_electric_vehicle_charging_stations

Like reserving a "non-smoking" room, can we reserve an "overnight-charging" parking spot?

Or, possibly "reserve" a "Quick-e-Fill" with the room, and they fill 80% on their DC QC and top-up on one of several L2 EVSEs, moving cars as necessary.

If so, one could reserve a room and be confident of having a full e-tank in the morning.

While my dear "puppies" are still with me, I might need a doggie-tolerant room as well. :)

evnow said:
I buy almost exclusively from costco. I like their customer/employees first approach - instead of wall st first approach.

It is interesting to speculate on where the chargers would naturally go. Rest places along freeways is a natural fit. But withing the city - coffee shops are probably the best place. So are theatres, malls etc where you would spend time and expect people coming from far flung suburbs.

So, hopefully the QC at BP will be along the freeways. I need 2 stops to get to Portland or Vancouver.

What would be nice is if we started Autobahn-style rest stops with convenience stores, restaurants, places to walk around, pristine bathrooms, etc. Level 3 charging should only really be useful for long trips anyway....

Ideally, Nissan would work with other companies to make cultural extensions of electric car charging- like drive-ins, drive throughs, gas stations, etc. were with gasoline cars. If you can create a clean, healthy culture around electric charging (rather than just trying to conform with gasoline-vehicle-based consumption patterns) it could take off and make EV's more than just a way to get from point A to point B... Sit down at a "Recharge Cafe" in a green environment along the side of the interstate to eat, check email, stretch your legs or make a call for 20-30 minutes while your car recharges, rather than pounding down fast-food grease from a drive through, etc.

I for one, love to "follow the money" and always vote with my pocketbook. When BP killed the Gulf, local stations were claiming "they" had nothing to do with it. OK, BUT, if "they" had nothing to do with it... then "they" should want nothing more to do with the BP brand. However franchise rejection of BP did not happened so "they" are the front line for BP's brand and therefore totally FAIR game. If BP franchises fail then BP cannot collect royalties/fees... they might even reconsider their policies. Imagine that! In a country of trickle-down crumbs, our wallets are the best artillery for firing upwards. Apathy towards guilty brands (and those in bed with them) should never happen! I am much more interested in being a pro-active patron at a DEDICATED green charging facility (with PV :?: ) than give BP and it's franchises the power to manipulate early EV infrastructure. Nothing is free and BP donating to the EV project is no different than a :? "frenemy" giving you a hug in public. My 2 cents. :ugeek:

Back