Brake dust on Volt = 0, LEAF >> 0

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

Wonder why this is. The casual observer might think GM did a better job of optimizing the brakes.

If anything the LEAF is driven more gingerly than the Volt.

I have only the LEAF to observe, but yes, and I think the casual hacker could have done a better job optimizing (if we target "no friction" as the optimization). LEAF likes to use the brakes more than I think it needs to. I'll give 'em smooth transition and you can't tell which is being applied when, so that part was done well. And it does the "ABS hop" over bumps, just like a Prius.

I would like to be able to monitor brake application (maybe one day through the CAN bus), otherwise I imagine measuring the temperature of the disc to know when friction is used. And then, at the end of the day, when we can't do any of this, we have your test: Look for the dust :)

I have owned several Mercedes over the years and am well aware of their issues with a well know quality ranking company regarding brake dust.

The rater dings their score because their surveyed customers report brake dust on the wheels. That rater considers that to be a defect since customers reported it as an issue when asked if there was anything wrong with the car.

Mercedes has indicated that the brake dust is the result of them using high performance brakes. MB refuses to put lower performance brakes on the cars simply because that rater doesn't understand that they are encouraging manufacturers to lower the quality in order to get a better quality score.

Perhaps this is the same issue? Maybe Nissan is using higher performance brakes than the Volt?

The Volt has new style brake rotors with some kind of coating, the abbreviation for the coating is FNC. I don't know what it stands for but it has something to do with bonding nitrogen to the rotor. FNC is supposed to harden the rotor and keep it from rusting. It's suppose to last the life of the normal car which seems like overkill on a Volt. The write ups say it reduces brake dust but don't say how. Perhaps it's the elimination of dust from dust since the rotors don't rust, or maybe the harder surface allows a more dust free brake pad to be used, I don't know.

I charge my leased Leaf to 100 % every night. I have always thought that because the use of regen is unavailable when the battery is full that my Leaf was using the friction calipers more than my volt (which by default only charges to around 80%) and that was the reason for the excess break dust when comparing the two.

LKK said:
Perhaps it's the elimination of dust from dust since the rotors don't rust, or maybe the harder surface allows a more dust free brake pad to be used, I don't know.

Seems reasonable. If you brush some brake dust onto a piece of paper and bring a magnet to it, you'll find the dust to be well-attracted by the magnet. Part the dust is fine iron powder from rotor wear.

Back