Brake Fluid service at 1 year (10K miles) - yes or no?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Since no one believes that brake fluid flushes themselves are a conspiracy, I guess you won that argument, unopposed. ;-)

The sometimes rabid opposition and statements that its just a ruse to line dealers pockets makes it appear that the general consensus is that its all just a big con game or conspiracy by the service centers to make more money. Trust me most mechanics would rather make their money by preventing catastrophic problems than by waiting and potentially loosing customers to lethal failures. In a number of countries you pay doctors and such to prevent problems however they have to give refunds if you do suffer the problem that you paid them to prevent. Perhaps that could be applied to automobile maintenance.

Here a number of car dealers include the fluid flushes and maintenance in the cost of their extended warranties as that is what really protects both you and them from having a major loss in the long run. All you have to do is call to schedule the maintenance and present the coupon from the warranty book to get the free (prepaid if you prefer) service. That's being proactive instead of reactive.

Bottom line is that people who do not flush and maintain are usually the ones with the highest rate of brake failures and end up facing the very much more expensive repairs especially on ABS, ASC and ATC systems. I usually while I am at it also take a moment to inspect the caliper guides and freshen up the silicone brake grease on them to prevent sticking, uneven braking, wheel lockups and brake fires. While doing the brake flush its also a good time to clean off the wheel sensors. People loose a good number of tires, axle/bearing seals and wheel bearings to the excess heat associated with poor brake maintenance and all too many car fires are also caused by skipping brake maintenance.

OK and how does the service writer know the fluid needs changed by looking at it?
I am all for the fluid flush but not more than the factory service manual calls for.

For most vehicles I would recommend flush at the same time as the pads or shoes get replaced. EVs do present an issue as brakes will last far longer than other vehicles. However there is not reason to get back into the 3 months or 3,000 mile mentality of old oil changes.

Brake fluid is flushed be default after 2 years. No less, but if fluid has been measured to be good (water concentration, copper concentration to be absolutely sure) it can be prolonged.

My dealer charged 5€ for fluid and didn't do it. It is legally "must do" thing in EU, don't really care. I measured water after 2 years and it was somewhere around 1%. Change is recommended at 3%-4%. I would say 3 years is safe upper limit if no measurements have been taken.
If brake fluid cap is not closed fluid must be changed very often.
Miles don't really matter for brake fluid. 1 year is way too early. Very reasonable to change fluid with pads just that with Leaf it might happen way too late. If pads are worn and fluid is older than 1.5years another flush is reasonable as it doesn't cost anything at all while doing brakes.

PS! Factory fluid age starts at date of vehicle manufacturing, not date of purchase.

arnis said:
Brake fluid is flushed be default after 2 years. No less, but if fluid has been measured to be good (water concentration, copper concentration to be absolutely sure) it can be prolonged.

My dealer charged 5€ for fluid and didn't do it. It is legally "must do" thing in EU, don't really care. I measured water after 2 years and it was somewhere around 1%. Change is recommended at 3%-4%. I would say 3 years is safe upper limit if no measurements have been taken.
If brake fluid cap is not closed fluid must be changed very often.
Miles don't really matter for brake fluid. 1 year is way too early. Very reasonable to change fluid with pads just that with Leaf it might happen way too late. If pads are worn and fluid is older than 1.5years another flush is reasonable as it doesn't cost anything at all while doing brakes.

PS! Factory fluid age starts at date of vehicle manufacturing, not date of purchase.

I go by the moment the seal is broken on the container as when it starts to age. I date my brake fluid containers when I open them and break the seal. I do not use brake fluid that has been opened for more than a few months for flushing and reserve it only for topping off a system that is going to need flushing shortly. After 2 years opened brake fluid goes into the hazardous waste container for brake fluid.

I have not done anything other than one cabin filter, one set of wiper blades and tire rotations every 5000 mi. Brake flushes are stupid. Because Nissan made a vehicle with virtually no maintenance they are looking for ways to make money servicing vehicles that do not need service.

downeykp said:
I have not done anything other than one cabin filter, one set of wiper blades and tire rotations every 5000 mi. Brake flushes are stupid. Because Nissan made a vehicle with virtually no maintenance they are looking for ways to make money servicing vehicles that do not need service.

Pretty dumb. More than one billion vehicles on the roads use DOT brake fluid.
Nissan has nothing to do with that fluid nor changing it.
You can change it yourself. Or let any other workshop do it.
Just wait for 5-6 years.

"brake-flushes-are-stupid" :roll: pff
maybe "using seatsbelts" is also stupid?

Or not. Its very dumb. Change your break fluid every year if you want. I will have mine changed when the brakes need to be replaced at 120000 mi. or so. Been driving since the 70s never changed brake fluid until brakes needed replacing. I have never had an issue with brake fluid.
Do what you want. It's your dollar.

downeykp said:
Or not. Its very dumb. Change your break fluid every year if you want. I will have mine changed when the brakes need to be replaced at 120000 mi. or so. Been driving since the 70s never changed brake fluid until brakes needed replacing. I have never had an issue with brake fluid.
Do what you want. It's your dollar.

In the 70's a new wheel cylinder was maybe $5, and a master cylinder kit about the same. Today an ABS unit can be over $1000 and mc's can't be rebuilt. If brake fluid looks like coffee, it probably should be changed.

Back