Braking, Lurching Forward issues

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagenz

I have got two Leaf Teknas in the last Month. Botht have lurched forward after being parked, one now has a bash at the front,
To make matters worse both have also had break failure. My son went through a red light, foot to the floor didn't slow the car enough, my wife has also experienced no breaking when pressing break. At all times epeddle was on.
Of course this is taking all the joy from having an electric car, just bad I have 2.
The Lurch forward is violent.
Problem I have is nobody else seems to he having any issues, think no breaks is worse than the lurch, and yes epeddle will slow you down but when a car pulls out in front of you and you cant stop it isnt funny.

You may have a weak, dying 12 volt battery. Have it load tested by an auto parts store, and if I'm correct, replace it with a 51R (the R is important) AGM type lead acid battery if at all possible. If the 12 volt battery is fine, you may have a bad brake controller.

I'm going to correct the spelling in the title, to make the subject clearer.

This is happening on two 22 plate new leafs, I will check the Voltage tomorrow.
And ty for the answer.

Thank you for pointing out the connection with the 12V battery. I have recently started having trouble with my '14 sometimes surges forward when I touch the brakes. I think this usually happens at low speed and may have started after getting the traction battery replaced. The motor controller in the Leaf emulates the idle mode of a conventional engine so that when you take your foot off the brakes the car will slowly accelerate to around 10MPH. But when the surging problem occurs when I apply the brakes it feels like the I am trying to control a bucking broncho. Until I take my foot off the brakes it acts like the simulated idle speed has tripled. Once the brakes are off again it returns to normal. I have also felt times that it seemed like the brakes faded most of the way to the floorboard while waiting for a red light to change. Which makes maneuvering around stop signs and stop lights occasionally challenging. My 12V battery warning light has been coming on occasionally. I guess it ti time to get that taken care of!

Mike

mwbushroe1 said:
My 12V battery warning light has been coming on occasionally. I guess it is time to get that taken care of!
The fact that you're getting a warning light and haven't had any other (12v related) anomalies is surprising (in a Leaf).
Don't mess around with weak starter batteries in EVs.

The fact that you're getting a warning light and haven't had any other (12v related) anomalies is surprising (in a Leaf).
Don't mess around with weak starter batteries in EVs.

You may want to read that post again! He is having brake booster issues, and that can be 12 volt system related.

Back