Buying a house without off-street parking?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkulak

My wife and I would like to buy a house, and one that we are looking at doesn't have off-street parking. We only have one car, so that's not generally an issue, but our one car is a Leaf! Is this a total deal-breaker, or is it possible to install an EVSE at the street or something?

Hmmm... I don't think you can install a post mounted EVSE in the easment next to the street. Seems like your options are:

Install post mounted EVSE just inside the easement. Problem w that is then you have the charge handle cord running across the sidewalk.

Use the portable EVSE that comes with the car, upgraded to 240V for L2 charging. That is less expensive than the first option, but you still have the cord running across the sidewalk, and may be at risk of theft of the EVSE.

Or use commercial charging. That is inconvenient and may be somewhat expensive.

If there is no sidewalk and the car would be parked right next to the property line, perhaps the first 2 options would work. Is it possible to put in a driveway at your proposed new house?

Hmm... yeah, no good options. Probably need to install a driveway, which would be a pain, but doable, I suppose.

why not just use a really long cable with the charger inside the house, dig the cable in the ground and for sidewalk put some sort of wire cover. If someone attempts to steal this then all they have is the cable.

I wouldn't give up on installing one curbside without checking with the city/county. It may be perfectly possible, especially if off-street parking isn't available. The worst they can do is say, "No."

I see a plug-in prius charging some mornings on a nearby street. They're plugged into a small electrical box on the "tree lawn" (past the sidewalk). Don't know if this setup meets code, or is permitted though.

Even if you install an evse curbside.... how do you keep it from getting blocked?
If it is a private space I would go for it but not provide public charging and risk getting blocked out.

If your new house has those 4 inch diameter landscaping drain pipes in the curb, you could probably run a electrical connection through that to the curb.

If you parked up against the curb, nobody would even see share the power came from, let alone trip over the cord.

I installed a plug for charging in a somewhat similar situation. To reduce costs, I did the trench work (shovel...it was fun especially since it was almost all rock 6 " down...) mounted it to a pole with a service panel. the only real difference was a GFI 240 volt circuit breaker (expensive! costs $125)

Now, this is not my house (a relative) but have used the plug dozens of times in all kinds of weather including the VERY heavy downpours we had 3 weeks ago with no issues whatsoever. the only weather protection is one of those clear plastic boxes (which ONLY closes when nothing is plugged in...)

Back