Buying a second hand leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoof

Hello, I tried a 24kwh September 2014 acenta leaf, check it with spyleaf pro, and it gaves me good battery stats but some DTC. Could someone help me to read them and tell me if I can buy the car? Thanks in advance.

The most likely cause is a dying 12 volt battery. Don't assume that this is the case, though. If fully charging the 12 volt battery, clearing the codes, and then trying again ( it may require several tries) produces no further DTCs, then it was likely the 12 volt battery.

Thanks for the answer. Car is not mine, just tried it at the moment I will pay it Saturday, maybe I will clear the dtc just before to see if they go away. Hope I will be a leaf owner soon!

But there is no red or orange light who is switched on. Can this DTC be old and not erased in the memory? If I had no leafspy pro I would not have noticed anything.

You mean the master warning light on top isn't lit? If these are old, no longer valid codes then charging the battery and clearing them should eliminate them. I don't know how helpful Nissan is in Europe, but they aren't extremely helpful in North America...

OK thanks. I will try to reset the DTC and see if they are erased. I mean that they are no warning light that is visible like below.
Is it possible to have still active DTC and no warning light?
original_errors_main-1024x768.jpg

Angle sensor threw on mine when the 12v battery was weak. Its the airbag rollover sensor and is $1k to fix, if the code won't clear.

"BCM low voltage" literally means the 12v battery is low.

I agree with Leftie. I'm 99% sure this is a low 12v battery.

Do go charge the 12v battery, preferably with an external charger. Then try to clear ALL the DTCs. If any won't clear OTHER than the TCU, there's a problem.

The TCU code is normal and means the car doesn't have the 3G carwings upgrade. Ignore it.

If you buy this car, charge the 12v with an external charger for a while and check the voltage. If the voltage is low, buy a new AGM 12v battery.

Back