cable extension

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJG

Hi all, new Leaf owner.
We will have to wait for electrician to install Level 2 power outlet, so in the meantime, I plan on using a normal 110 V outlet already in our driveway, but will have to run cord up our driveway about 40 ft to a regular (Level 1) power outlet.
Amazon advertises an EV specific cable extension (not a regular extension cord- but an EV attachment head connected to the standard charging EV cord, which then goes into power socket). I would love the experts to give me advice.

Is the J1772 code correct code for charging cord for a Leaf?

Is an extension SAFE?

Below are the details of the item. THANKS!!

Brand 'EVDANCE' (through Amazon)
EV Charger Extension Cable, 21ft J1772 Extension Cable Compatible with All 110V-240V SAE J1772 EV Chargers, Suitable for J1772 EVs/PHEVs,Level 1/ Level 2 IP66 EV

below link to see details:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CBLQYSHJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A35RBR1AN1K2CB&th=1

There is nothing to be gained, by using an EV ended extension cord. The real concern over using ANY extension cord is the voltage drop/ resistance of the cord. The current carried is going to be the same whether it has regular 120 volt ends or the EV ends.
Given that, I wouldn't buy an EV extension cord but buy or make a 120 volt cord that is heavy enough to handle the load. A 50' (if that is what you need) 10 ga cord is heavy enough to handle the 15 amps or less that the outlet is designed for.
10ga is what is used for 30 amp wiring circuits in buildings, so as a portable cord more than rated for the current. 12ga would be a little lighter and ok if that is all you can find.
If you don't know how to tell the gauge of the cord, go to a GOOD hardware store and ask. You might be ok at a big box store getting a contractor grade extension cord.
Don't buy any longer than you need to make the run. the longer the cord the more resistance it will have.

no techincal reason you can't use a good 12 awg or 10 awg extension cord for a short time...no way would I pay that much for the above. I would use this: https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Wa...=1699624096&sprefix=12+ga,aps,178&sr=8-8&th=1

Then you will have something that you can use for other stuff later on. It is the same reason they tell you don't plug a electric heater in an extension cord, people can't be trusted to get a good properly sized extension cord that will handle a continuous max electrical load.

Back