Can I get a bigger battery for my car when this one dies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombastinator2

I’ve got a 2019 leaf with the smaller battery (140some miles when it’s warm, 100mi. In the depths of winter) it apparently also came with a larger battery which would be occasionally handy. It’s not worth trading out my battery now, but when it dies in a few years can I put a bigger one in? Or do I have to stick with the size I got?

Iz is possible (despite the slight difference in dimensions) to install a stronger (62 kW) battery with some changes made by experts on the battery holders. The only question is whether Nissan will grant a warranty for a new battery installed in this way.

Ikona Potvrdila zajednica

I asked that question to my dealer. My 2018 40kwh battery just failed under warranty and they will install a new one, but they wouldn't install the bigger one. They said it was possible for the gen1 to install a bigger battery but not for gen2.

I’ve got a 2019 leaf with the smaller battery (140some miles when it’s warm, 100mi. In the depths of winter) it apparently also came with a larger battery which would be occasionally handy. It’s not worth trading out my battery now, but when it dies in a few years can I put a bigger one in? Or do I have to stick with the size I got?
YES! This is very straightforward for those of us that do this - and, using the #EVsEnhanced Translator Kit can easily be done by your local mechanic ......
There's a photo album, with dimensions, on my FB page, for the brackets, too ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100070435497178

I asked that question to my dealer. My 2018 40kwh battery just failed under warranty and they will install a new one, but they wouldn't install the bigger one. They said it was possible for the gen1 to install a bigger battery but not for gen2.
I'd give you back up to 4000Euro for a perfect 40kwh pack, whilst fitting you a 62kwh #LeafBatteryUpgrade :)

Lol where's the catch! And will you come near here and do the swap? I'm not exactly in Europe ;)

Seriously though I'd rather sell the car as is and buy a more recent SL with the 62kWh pack. If Nissan had offered a buyback, that's what I would've done.

12V battery or the main traction battery underneath?
The big one that makes my car go zoom. I got a 2019 sv if that helps. I think of electric cars as being ICE cars with little tiny gas tanks you fill with an eyedropper. Except the gas is much much cheaper. Eco is nice and all but aside from the range electric just PWNs all over ICE cars. It’s not even close. Range thing gets fixed ICE cars are done.

Last edited:
There are a number of aftermarket installers who can fit a 62 KWH battery to a previously 40 KWH LEAF as others have noted above. A couple of drawbacks to consider. The first is that Nissan will not warranty a 62 KWH battery installed in this way, and the other is that your insurance policy is unlikely to recognize the cost of a replacement battery installed in this way. Also, my understanding is that the rear suspension must be modified due to the increased battery weight.

There are a number of aftermarket installers who can fit a 62 KWH battery to a previously 40 KWH LEAF as others have noted above. A couple of drawbacks to consider. The first is that Nissan will not warranty a 62 KWH battery installed in this way, and the other is that your insurance policy is unlikely to recognize the cost of a replacement battery installed in this way. Also, my understanding is that the rear suspension must be modified due to the increased battery weight.
Nissan won’t do it though, right?

Like I said in my previous post, they most likely won't. But you have nothing to lose if you ask them. Not all dealers are equal and experiences vary: your dealer might accept ;)

Nissan won’t do it though, right?
My understanding is that a Nissan dealer will not. Equally to the point, the cost (through a dealer) of purchasing a new 62 KWH pack plus installation would be so expensive as to be not cost effective. I'd think an individual would do much better to sell the previous vehicle and purchase a used Plus in good condition.

I have watched the entire video and did not see any red flags on a quick read. Move delete comment or what ever. Most in the USA may just get a different vehicle. This is not a good option in isolated places or people have imported a leaf and there is not an external support system.and option like this one could be of interest.

Buyer beware!

Back