Can I tow with my 2019 ze1?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutsodeluxe

Hi everyone and thanks for the advice I've received to my other queries since getting my Leaf. I'm loving driving it and now I'm exploring whether I can realistically keep it to use as our only family car.
One thing we want to do a lot of soon is going away with our camper trailer. It's lightweight (around 750kg) but according to Nissan Australia the Leaf is not rated for towing anything.
I know there's a towbar available, and I've seen a video of someone towing a tonne of hay, but I want to know if it's realistic to tow something relatively large with this car.
It's a 2019 e+G with about 94% SOH.
Cheers - Nutso

Last edited:
The Leaf Plus weights more than an ICE pickup truck. Provided the proper towing accessories are attached and safety secured within the class weight limits, there is no reason to fear towing. The Leaf is not rated because no one at Nissan bothered to do a rating, but you'll find that for most cars anyway. ;)

Plenty of topics here about towing, myself included, you can start here for fun reading.
https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/how-much-can-a-nissan-leaf-tow-feats-of-towing-might.19293/page-2

The Leaf Plus weights more than an ICE pickup truck. Provided the proper towing accessories are attached and safety secured within the class weight limits, there is no reason to fear towing. The Leaf is not rated because no one at Nissan bothered to do a rating, but you'll find that for most cars anyway. ;)

Plenty of topics here about towing, myself included, you can start here for fun reading.
https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/how-much-can-a-nissan-leaf-tow-feats-of-towing-might.19293/page-2
Thanks for that - the link and also the confirmation about towing!
I did a search for towing on this forum but it didn't come up with anything relevant, hence the new thread.
I'm glad others have posted photos, it gives me confidence seeing what other people have managed to haul behind their Leafs.

Best thing you can do is have a good hitch and electric brakes on the trailer. Law (in the US) says you don't need them for class 1 towing. I spec'd them on my trailer and never regretted it. Regen and car brakes are fine, but when the spit hits the spam, keeping the load from pushing you into a jacknife is worth whatever it costs.
I'm in a little different situation as I have a 5 ton truck to handle the heavy stuff. I'd love to see the look on the faces of the dealership if I ever have to take my Leaf in, behind my 1942 IHC! I bought a used tow dolly when I bought my Leaf to get it home, and it is getting electric brakes added, just because! The 5 ton has had more than that in the back (grossing over 18K) and has good brakes, but something pushing at the back,with a joint that can swivel, brakes make good sense.
My Brother has moved a heck of a lot of stuff behind a Prius, and I was surprised how well it did towing. General rule is you want the towing vehicle to weigh twice the towed. You can tow more if the towed trailer has brakes.

To be on the safe side, check what is allowed in your country. Last thing you want is to be far from home, and shut down by the law. Now you have to rent something to finish the trip and twp vehicles to deal with.
More excellent advice!
I know our camper trailer has electric brakes. What I now need to establish is what I need to fit to the Leaf, apart from a towbar, to make the whole system work.
This is our camper trailer - not very big & heavy, as you can see.

To be on the safe side, check what is allowed in your country. Last thing you want is to be far from home, and shut down by the law. Now you have to rent something to finish the trip and twp vehicles to deal with.

Can add to this that in Europe you will need a manufacturer-specified towing capacity in order to legally tow anything. As Nissan does not specify a towing capacity for Leaf, no towing is permitted. I understand that things are different in the US and don't know how this is in Australia.

Hey Nutsodeluxe. Can you enlighten me on what a ZE1 is as opposed to, say, a -plus Leaf? Maybe you did in one of your threads, apologize if I missed it.

Last edited:
Hey Nutsodeluxe. Can you enlighten me on what a ZE1 is as opposed to, say, a -plus Leaf? Maybe you did in one of your threads, apologize if I missed it.
No worries.
ZE1 just refers to the 2nd generation of Leaf, made since 2017.
The first generation (2010-2017) was known as the ZE0.
As far as the plus is concerned, I know there are different names & specs in different countries, and I won't claim to know what the US ones are, but the bigger battery (62kWh) version made since 2018, which is what I have, was known in Japan & here in Australia as e+.
Mine is the luxury-spec G version, hence the description ZE1 e+G.
I hope that clears things up.

It is ilegal in EU, but leaf is great for towing short distance .
This is my leaf towing a trailer with 800 kg bale . :)

There are a couple considerations to keep in mind. As others have pointed out, the Leaf has plenty of power to pull the load you're considering. Being a heavy vehicle, it also has decent brakes from the factory (plus regen) to help stop a load, within reason.

However, it's not really set up to have a lot of weight hanging off the rear of the car, so be careful with the tongue weight of your camper as well as the balance of the load in the camper.

You can see in the video of the Leaf towing the hay bale that the load is carefully (presumably intentionally) centered just forward of the trailer axle, so that the trailer is holding much of the weight while still maintaining a bit of weight on the hitch. And, as demonstrated by the video, the Leaf has no problem pulling the load.

If the hay bale shifted to the front of the trailer, the tongue weight would increase dramatically and much more of the load would be on the rear suspension of the Leaf. Maybe it could handle it, maybe not.

Alternatively, if the hay bale shifted to the rear of the trailer the tongue weight would decrease, potentially even lifting your rear tires or at least reducing their ground contact and traction. Obviously, that wouldn't be good for handling. About 40 seconds into the video when the hay is being lifted from the trailer you can see the "lift" on the rear of the car based on how much recovery/rebound there is as the load is removed.

So, make sure your camper trailer is properly loaded with proper weight distribution and you should be fine.

Yes, it clears it up. Thank you for the explanation. 😊 I do like the black top on your car. When we bought our '19, the black top was not offered on the red car.

For what it's worth, I don't like the black roof option at all - I far prefer the coloured roofs, including your beautiful red example :)

Hi everyone and thanks for the advice I've received to my other queries since getting my Leaf. I'm loving driving it and now I'm exploring whether I can realistically keep it to use as our only family car.
One thing we want to do a lot of soon is going away with our camper trailer. It's lightweight (around 750kg) but according to Nissan Australia the Leaf is not rated for towing anything.
I know there's a towbar available, and I've seen a video of someone towing a tonne of hay, but I want to know if it's realistic to tow something relatively large with this car.
It's a 2019 e+G with about 94% SOH.
Cheers - Nutso
I looked at getting a hitch for my leaf. I can’t remember if it’s 1800 or 2500lb. Trailers eat your range hard though. There are campers being developed for electric cars that have their own battery packs and drive motors to reduce this problem. ATM though most don’t have this, so expect your range to be hit quite hard. Aerodynamics help a bit, but it’s still going to cut deep. U-haul is often the cheapest place to get one.

My leaf tows great. I only have 1-1/4, mainly for a bike rack. But the two times I’ve towed a 12’ aluminum lawn trailer, couldn’t even feel it.

Last edited:
Speaking as a guy who has towed quite a bit while carefully paying attention to the limits, I would say that the Leaf is pretty much the last vehicle I would select for that purpose. I've towed a pop-up camper with my 2001 Forester (manual stick) through the Rockies, and similarly with a little Mazda mini-van. But always while paying attention to proper setup and vehicle design limits.

No, I don't believe the only safe vehicle for towing is a giant truck. For the record. But that doesn't mean just any vehicle will do either. Range will be a real issue, for example, even with the bigger battery.

We have a small travel trailer now, single-axle, GVWR 3700 pounds, with a 400 pound tongue weight. And yes, we own a hydraulic scale, so that I'm not guessing as to the actual tongue weight. We tow that camper through the Rockies with our 2015 Q5, rated to 5000 pounds on grades up to 12% and 4400 pounds on any grade (30% is the vehicle limit towing or not). Actual trailer weight when towing is about 2950 pounds, give or take.

Front wheel drive in general is not your first choice for a towing application, for starters (and yes, our mini-van was front-wheel drive, and we stayed well-inside it's towing limits for that reason). Proper set up is critical to keep enough weight on all the wheels for braking and turning purposes.

Tongue weight matters for other reasons too - at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue, or you're asking for serious sway, which can be really dangerous. I seriously doubt that the Leaf is able to handle enough tongue weight to be able to safely tow any significant load.

So no, I don't think it's simply a matter of Nissan not wanting to spend the money to test and certify. You're well outside the design parameters of this car if you want to tow anything more significant than a tiny trailer with a small rented piece of yard equipment of something of that nature - hundreds of pounds, not thousands.

Wrong tool for the job. You can drive nails with a screwdriver if you're really wanting to, but it's a heck of lot easier with a proper hammer.

Just because some people do something doesn't mean it's a good idea. Can you get away with it for short distances? Probably. But if you do need to do any kind of emergency avoidance, I don't want to be anywhere near you on the road. Ditto you descending any kind of lengthy grade in heavy rain while negotiating corners.

Could you? Probably. Good idea? Should you? Ummm, no. It's unwise.

My 14 cents.

Edit: I watched your video - missed that link the first time through. Very cool little camper! But 750kg is the empty weight, not your towing weight. What I wrote above stands. It's quite tall - I think you'll be surprised how fast your range goes away.

Here's a video that explains the physics involved in a digestible manner:

Last edited:
Speaking as a guy who has towed quite a bit while carefully paying attention to the limits, I would say that the Leaf is pretty much the last vehicle I would select for that purpose. I've towed a pop-up camper with my 2001 Forester (manual stick) through the Rockies, and similarly with a little Mazda mini-van. But always while paying attention to proper setup and vehicle design limits.

No, I don't believe the only safe vehicle for towing is a giant truck. For the record. But that doesn't mean just any vehicle will do either. Range will be a real issue, for example, even with the bigger battery.

We have a small travel trailer now, single-axle, GVWR 3700 pounds, with a 400 pound tongue weight. And yes, we own a hydraulic scale, so that I'm not guessing as to the actual tongue weight. We tow that camper through the Rockies with our 2015 Q5, rated to 5000 pounds on grades up to 12% and 4400 pounds on any grade (30% is the vehicle limit towing or not). Actual trailer weight when towing is about 2950 pounds, give or take.

Front wheel drive in general is not your first choice for a towing application, for starters (and yes, our mini-van was front-wheel drive, and we stayed well-inside it's towing limits for that reason). Proper set up is critical to keep enough weight on all the wheels for braking and turning purposes.

Tongue weight matters for other reasons too - at least 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue, or you're asking for serious sway, which can be really dangerous. I seriously doubt that the Leaf is able to handle enough tongue weight to be able to safely tow any significant load.

So no, I don't think it's simply a matter of Nissan not wanting to spend the money to test and certify. You're well outside the design parameters of this car if you want to tow anything more significant than a tiny trailer with a small rented piece of yard equipment of something of that nature - hundreds of pounds, not thousands.

Wrong tool for the job. You can drive nails with a screwdriver if you're really wanting to, but it's a heck of lot easier with a proper hammer.

Just because some people do something doesn't mean it's a good idea. Can you get away with it for short distances? Probably. But if you do need to do any kind of emergency avoidance, I don't want to be anywhere near you on the road. Ditto you descending any kind of lengthy grade in heavy rain while negotiating corners.

Could you? Probably. Good idea? Should you? Ummm, no. It's unwise.

My 14 cents.

Edit: I watched your video - missed that link the first time through. Very cool little camper! But 750kg is the empty weight, not your towing weight. What I wrote above stands. It's quite tall - I think you'll be surprised how fast your range goes away.

Here's a video that explains the physics involved in a digestible manner:

Thanks heaps for your considered response - I'm keen to learn as much as possible from people with experience in this area.
You're right about the total weight being more than 750kg, but it won't be a lot more, and also, the hitch weight of this camper is only 30kg (yes, when it's empty) so that shouldn't be a major problem.
Whether the camper experiment succeeds or not, we'll use the towbar for our bike rack, so it won't be a complete loss, and if we need to go serious distances or head off-road, we'll hire/borrow a 4wd.

Last edited:
Back