Canadian Nissan dealer price cut?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigboler said:
I put the difference in price between Canada and the US at $4800 when you add in PDI and delivery ($1800 in Canada only $850 in the US)
Wow, I didn't compare the delivery charge but this isn't surprising. Canadians always get screwed. :x

I am hoping all the good things we are hearing about the 2013 Leaf and how they expect higher sales this September will translate into a lower price or maybe a lower price with a leased battery.
I'm not interested in leasing the battery but I do hope the made in USA Leafs will be cheaper and hopefully it will be priced the same in Canada as in the US. If Nissan will continue to charge us Canadians nearly 5 grand more than in the US, I will either forget about the Leaf completely or go get one across the border.

Having said all this, I still think the vehicle could be considered some what affordable. I have done up a spreadsheet with the numbers of continuing to own my 1994 Protégé vs the Leaf and I would save $200 a month with the Leaf, that savings plus another $200 a month for a total of $400 would pay for the vehicle in 10 years.
A savings of 200$/month sounds about right. I also did a spreadsheet comparing the Leaf to my 2003 Matrix and the cost of gas and oil changes minus the cost of the electricity (which is very cheap in Quebec) the Leaf would save me about $180 per month. (I figured I would replace 80% of my gas miles since I would still have my Mazda 5) Although this is a significant savings, this doesn’t take into consideration the higher insurance costs and interest on a $40000 loan.

For now my Matrix is working perfectly (by the way, the Leaf has nearly the same interior space as my Matrix) and I am not ready to take on that much debt to be the first one on the block with an electric car. Too bad, I was really looking forward to owning an EV. :(

Ok all you Leaf wannabe owners in Canada (me included) Nissan just sent me an email that reduces the price by 1000 dollars. Is this enough to get everybody to jump or is everybody waiting for a better car in 2013 and hopefully a better price? I generally feel it's worth the wait at this point, I like the idea of the better heater and hopefully the NAFTA and autopac deal will improve the price.

Yeah, I got that e-mail too, but $1000 off is still $3800 more than in the US and dealers there are willing to give rebates of their own, as much as $5000 off MSRP!

It's a bit painful to see the Americans paying 9000 less then our current price. To my calculation the price the Americans are paying makes the car almost free (considering the monthly saving over my current car). let's hope for better deal soon, a price drop should be a precursor to the new model year coming in.

Bigboler said:
It's a bit painful to see the Americans paying 9000 less then our current price. To my calculation the price the Americans are paying makes the car almost free (considering the monthly saving over my current car). let's hope for better deal soon, a price drop should be a precursor to the new model year coming in.

Agreed, I’m hoping the 2013 will be priced similarly in Canada as in the US since the fact that it will be built in the US means there won’t be any import duty. Also Nissan should realize that if they want to sell the Leaf in any significant quantity they will have to price the LEAF more competitively. They had planed on selling 600 in 2012 but have only moved 137 YTD. Looks like they won’t sell half as many cars as they hoped.

If Nissan continues to price the Leaf thousands more in Canada compared to the US, I will either buy a 6 month old Leaf in the US or will wait for Tesla’s next model (Bluestar).

Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City California is doing 24 month leases of 2012 Leafs for $138.99/month with a $2,995 down payment!!! Not even close to the "deals" up here!

Back