Canceled reservation after almost two years of frustration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
You knew about the charger so no surprise. Yes, Nissan was told this was a mistake and they did it anyway. To say no one knows what charging at 30A is like is a bit misguided since I have been charging above that level for many years and know exactly what it is like and what the benefits are. You can't compare and ebox charger as it is based on ACP drive and uses the motor as part of the charger and remains very expensive. Your estimate to go to 6.6kw is close but there needs to be larger harnesses on both pack and J side and other costs. $100-$200 for an auto maker is a few million for Nissan this year and about $500 more on the sticker price, however a dumb move for Nissan IMO.

The big point here is a company built a product and gave us the user parameters and product ability's, if this doesn't fit your needs please don't buy the product. Wish list are great let the company know what you really want like "I want my Prius to go from 0 to 60 in less than 2 seconds", "I want my big V8 engine to get 60MPG", you get the idea. After building my own EV's for over 30 years I know what a Rudman high power charger can do to batteries, it's capable of destroying a battery pack in less than a year (Batteries don't die there are murdered).

Nissan built a vehicle that is perfect for "ME". My commute will be less than 30 miles per day most of the time halling one butt to work and back home again and sits in the driveway for 10 hours or more, this car fits, Nissan spect sheet fits my wish list.

IMO if the car doesn't fit your needs in the way of range and charging capability's put a Tesla or used RAV4 in your driveway.

Nate, I agree with you completely about delivery and honesty, after a March 11, 2011 9.0 earthquake, and tsunami and life threating nuclear accident, 15,844 deaths, 5,893 injured, and 3,394 people missing, roads destroyed, building destroyed. All of this happened only 10 months ago, if Nissan and/or the dealership promised you a delivery time line after all that shame on them. Nissan informed me that there will be a delay in delivery, I didn't ask now long because I realized my guess would be as good as theres.

A few questions:

1. Can I purchase an "orphan" in another state(ex. Fontana or Mossy) and have shipped to Col. and register it there and still receive the Col. tax credit(or NO because it was purchased in Ca.)?

2. Question # 1. was initiated by my Col. dealership today informing me That besides MSRP, I would be charged $850.00 to ship from Japan and $499.50 for "dealer prep."! These charges seem excessive if not warranted at all!!!

3. This topic has discussions regarding the DCQC(direct current quick charge?) that is not now available, but will be on 2013 models? Can some one explain what this is? Any idea how much more will be assesed on 2013 models(I understand this would be an estimate). Also can this DCQC be purchased for the 2012 model in future and retro installed?

jb2leaf said:
A few questions:

1. Can I purchase an "orphan" in another state(ex. Fontana or Mossy) and have shipped to Col. and register it there and still receive the Col. tax credit(or NO because it was purchased in Ca.)?

2. Question # 1. was initiated by my Col. dealership today informing me That besides MSRP, I would be charged $850.00 to ship from Japan and $499.50 for "dealer prep."! These charges seem excessive if not warranted at all!!!

3. This topic has discussions regarding the DCQC(direct current quick charge?) that is not now available, but will be on 2013 models? Can some one explain what this is? Any idea how much more will be assesed on 2013 models(I understand this would be an estimate). Also can this DCQC be purchased for the 2012 model in future and retro installed?
Cannot answer #1

#2 The Destination charge is normal and I think $840 is what I paid here in CA. There was no dealer prep fee.

#3 DCQC (CHAdeMO, Quick Charge or L3) Was an option for the 2011 SL model and now standard on the 2012 SL. No retrofit install likely.

1. I live in Utah and bought my car sight unseen from Fontana in CA. Best thing I did all year long. Ask your local CPA about CO tax law, I have no idea.

2. Any dealer that adds on 499.50 on top of MSRP is a price gouger. Go somewhere else quick.

3. My 2012 SL has a DC quick charge port. Too bad there are not any quick charge stations in Utah. Maybe someday......

jb2leaf said:
A few questions:

KJD said:
jb2leaf said:
3. My 2012 SL has a DC quick charge port. Too bad there are not any quick charge stations in Utah. Maybe someday......
Emphasizing and perhaps clarifying what KJD said:
  • All LEAFs have a charger on board that accepts 120v or 240v A/C and feeds up to 3.3 kW into the battery.
  • No LEAFs have, or are at all likely to ever have in the future, a Quick Charge charger on board.
  • Many LEAFs do have a QC port - a place to plug in a special heavy duty cable from an external Quick Charge station.
  • The QC ports are built in during vehicle manufacture. It is unlikely that they will ever be retro installed.
  • The external QC stations are very large and heavy, and can feed up to 50 kW into the battery. They are starting to appear in some, but not all, parts of the country. In general they cost tens of thousands of dollars and require high power 3-phase electrical feeds which are rarely found in private residences. It is possible that slower, cheaper, versions may exist in the future, but for now they are not the sort of thing an individual LEAF owner would buy.

Ray

jb2leaf said:
Perhaps you are thinking of the "regular" onboard charger, which for the 2011 and 2012 models charges at the rate of 3.3 kW. Many are anticipating that the 2013 model will be capable of regular Level 2 charging at 6.6 kW. This means that you would generally be able to charge twice as quickly when using standard, public charging docks (not Fast Chargers). However, the DC Fast Charging capability is available now as part of the SL package, should remain the same in 2013, and will remain by far the fastest way of charging the car, provided DC Fast/Quick Chargers are actually available in your area.

SmokeMaker said:
EVDRIVER said:
You knew about the charger so no surprise. Yes, Nissan was told this was a mistake and they did it anyway. To say no one knows what charging at 30A is like is a bit misguided since I have been charging above that level for many years and know exactly what it is like and what the benefits are. You can't compare and ebox charger as it is based on ACP drive and uses the motor as part of the charger and remains very expensive. Your estimate to go to 6.6kw is close but there needs to be larger harnesses on both pack and J side and other costs. $100-$200 for an auto maker is a few million for Nissan this year and about $500 more on the sticker price, however a dumb move for Nissan IMO.

The big point here is a company built a product and gave us the user parameters and product ability's, if this doesn't fit your needs please don't buy the product. Wish list are great let the company know what you really want like "I want my Prius to go from 0 to 60 in less than 2 seconds", "I want my big V8 engine to get 60MPG", you get the idea. After building my own EV's for over 30 years I know what a Rudman high power charger can do to batteries, it's capable of destroying a battery pack in less than a year (Batteries don't die there are murdered).

Nissan built a vehicle that is perfect for "ME". My commute will be less than 30 miles per day most of the time halling one butt to work and back home again and sits in the driveway for 10 hours or more, this car fits, Nissan spect sheet fits my wish list.

IMO if the car doesn't fit your needs in the way of range and charging capability's put a Tesla or used RAV4 in your driveway.

Nate, I agree with you completely about delivery and honesty, after a March 11, 2011 9.0 earthquake, and tsunami and life threating nuclear accident, 15,844 deaths, 5,893 injured, and 3,394 people missing, roads destroyed, building destroyed. All of this happened only 10 months ago, if Nissan and/or the dealership promised you a delivery time line after all that shame on them. Nissan informed me that there will be a delay in delivery, I didn't ask now long because I realized my guess would be as good as theres.

If you destroy a pack with a PFC anything after many years of building EVs you are not managing the pack properly. I have owned many of his chargers and never destroyed a pack. I don't get that analogy or the others. Nissan now knows they should have used a larger charger or offered one, this was nothing they were not told by people they consulted with. Some need it and some do not but it certainly is not comparable to the LEAF doing 0-60 in 4 seconds or a charger destroying a pack unless you design packs with no BMS from unbalanced batteries from Sam's Club. Most people know Nissan had a reputation for lying about delivery dates not just missing them so unless there was a delivery contract it's as good as a car salesman's word. Many, many people have this story.

LTLFTcomposite said:
GRA said:
Yeah, I've thought that might have been the reason for the 3.3 kW charger also.

I thought the same but was quickly corrected by others here who are much smarter than I am, who say that it was done for cost reasons and that Nissan is stupid. That said, there are a couple benefits to the lower rate as you point out, it puts less strain on the load calculation on your residential service, and that in turn results in a smaller load making its way up the rest of the distribution system.
Well Nissan got it backward. The Leaf has 3.3 kW charger and AV supports 30 amp, 7.2 kW charging. To mitigate load issues the car should have been 7.2 kW and the AV home equipment should have been 3.3 kW :roll:

nater said:
And careful who you call whiner. You have no idea of my history and what I've done for EVs. . . . . . . . . .
wow . . . that important eh? :D Sorry. Couldn't resist. Ain't no fans here (hopefully) of whiner name calling . . . and conversly, important people never need to anounce it.

Not calling myself important. I'm not announcing my EV advocacy work, I let my record stand for itself. It pales in comparison to Doug Korthof, Chelsea Sexton, and Paul Scott anyway. Besides, the time for EV advocacy is done, we were successful in our mission.

I would like to call attention to Doug, as his time is short.

http://sciencedude.ocregister.com/2012/01/23/for-dying-o-c-activist-an-electric-car-rally/166983/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I became an EV advocate in 2006, Doug took me into his home and taught me what mattered in life.

People have also called Doug many things far worse than whiner. I call him a hero.

Nate

Back