Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
Four weeks now since anyone has reported a capacity bar loss.

http://mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss#four_bars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously, "capacity" bars have high ambient temperature exposure as a major (or the major) cause, rather than reflecting actual total battery capacity. And Ticktock's observation of wh/gid variability (hotter batteries having more wh per gid) from last Fall and Winter now seems to have been confirmed by many others. More recently:

TickTock said:
It appears I may be seeing a slight increase in my range on a 100% charge, too. However, it is small enough that the fact I no longer have the AC running could explain it. The 74 high out-lyer is the 64mph constant speed test drive I did with Tony. The low 55 value was at my lowest efficiency ever (3.9mpkWh).

His entire log is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dHNwVmRkNkFnaEVOQTVENW5mOTZlb0E&pli=1#gid=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I have been suggesting for quite a while now, I think it is time to leave the "rapid battery degradation" hysteria behind us, and move on to rationally address what I think is the major unanswered question about LEAF battery capacity, whether the BMS varies available SOC levels. If many more can confirm TickTock's observations of constant (or increasing) kWh charge or range with cooler battery temperatures, when they should be declining, then I think the only likely explanation is that the BMS is limiting battery pack access, correlating to higher temperature (and perhaps other variables)presumably to protect the battery from rapid degradation.

A real shame, IMO, that some are apparently still trying to do range tests without monitoring the recharge capacity, now that we know capacity bars, gid reports, and kW use reports from the LEAF itself are all highly inaccurate.

TonyWilliams:

...News flash. Nissan knows exactly what these cars will do. You'll note, our data was NEVER challenged by them. Not a whimper...

For whatever reason, Nissan has decided to give LEAF drivers the "mushroom treatment" regarding the facts of battery capacity.

Tony's various efforts being such a major source of nourishment for this project, I hardly think it should surprise anyone that Nissan wants to keep the compost production maintained at the current high rate.

Much ado about nothing.
Thank you ed for your relentless support for the owner's of the effected cars. We can now rest assured that our interest in good hands.
Give us a break for winter's sake.

edatoakrun said:
As I have been suggesting for quite a while now, I think it is time to leave the "rapid battery degradation" hysteria behind us, and move on to rationally address what I think is the major unanswered question about LEAF battery capacity, whether the BMS varies available SOC levels.
I started a thread related to this topic months ago: LEAF voltage measurement accuracy impact on capacity. On the second page of that thread, Phil confirmed that for HIS LEAF, the voltage reported by the BMS matched the battery terminal voltage he measured with an accurate, calibrated instrument to a high degree. Also note the fact that TickTock and others do not report any meaningful changes in pack voltage after a 100% charge regardless of the temperature. Finally, please note that charge and discharge termination voltage determines battery capacity in the LEAF since the Coulomb counting seems to only be used for predicting range (although I wonder if the charging is restricted to 281 GIDs).

So it could be that the number reported by the BMS IS truly a temperature-compensated number and that Phil made all his measurements close enough to 70F (or whatever) or lower that the temperature compensation does not have an impact when he has made his measurements. I guess we need to get an accurate measurement of the pack voltage when the pack is quite hot to see if the reported voltages become higher than the actual voltages under those conditions.

For those who are coming to this thread late, read the Battery Capacity Loss section of the Wiki and make up your own mind:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery_Capacity_Loss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS When are those faulty gauges going to be fixed by Nissan under warranty?

Biodiversivist said:
If the published spec overstated the car's capacity, you might have a beef. Your argument is that Nissan’s published performance specifications undershoot all new car's actual capacity (as if there would be something wrong with that if it were true). A test with a single data point is meaningless. You need to hire a statistician and build a statistically significant sample size.

And there it is, as expected. If we had tested 100 LEAFs, it wouldn't be enough, since there are 40,000 worldwide. Ya, the forever impossible goal. I won't be hiring a statistician, but if you've read through our forum, you'll note that we have them here. We've also got more than a few engineers, scientists, physicists, etc. Youve come to the right place!!!

I only cared about 84 miles of range autonomy to compare to our Phoenix sick LEAFs, even though every new car is capable of 85 miles at 4 miles/kWh and 21.3 kWh useable (laboratory measured, not theory or Nissan published infotainment). Exceeding 85 miles is largely a factor of other factors that I won't bore you with.

You two that I specifically name (who very publically dispute our work here) and a tiny handful of what can only be affectionately termed "battery deniers" are clearly on opposite sides of the fence from we who are interested in the truth. The motivation seems to be (for those of us watching you two) to help "save" Nissan from we "misguided" loud complainers that are bad news for the EV movement with our faulty, non-scientific FUD.

Anyway, the 84 mile range autonomy is repeatable.... over and over and over. Please do call us when you add to the breadth of knowledge. Maybe grab a new LEAF off a lot and take it for an 84 mile test drive in still air, 80F temps, level terrain, and a steady 100kmh ground speed with cruise control. But, first make sure it hasn't been baking in the sun all summer.

Tony

Stoaty said:
When are those faulty gauges going to be fixed by Nissan under warranty?
They are not going to be fixed under warranty. Real gauges will be the new must have feature of the 2013 :eek:

Stoaty said:
PS When are those faulty gauges going to be fixed by Nissan under warranty?

I predict it comes with the firmware upgrade that makes the first battery capacity bar 30% loss, instead of 15%. The rest will be 15% (yes, I know that would mean "negative" battery capacity at the bottom of the scale, but they did say the instruments were bad).

cwerdna said:
^^^
Are you another instance of OrientExpresss? He tried to make a similar argument.

It's ridiculous to compare the population of Leafs in AZ vs. the total and claim there's "no problem". It IS a problem for those in hot climates like Phoenix, AZ and TX. Others in hot climates (and a few in not so hot climates) have also lost battery capacity.

Our good buddy OE has apparently taken credit for Nissan buying back our tested cars (now 6 of 12 tested are gone) on the SF Facebook.

These guys don't change; they morph into something else!

I agree that Tony's data is grossly insufficient to make meaningful statements about battery capacity loss. We should use a very large sample; I suggest using Nissan's own data:

Battery_Aging_Model_Graph.png

Then all we need to do is see what EOL (70%) would be for various cities to see if heat could possibly be a factor, and whether capacity loss is real:

Phoenix - 4.7 years
Boston - 11.9 years

Looks like they are pretty much the same. I guess that proves the battery capacity in Phoenix isn't being significantly affected by heat. It's those damn gauges!!!

TonyWilliams said:
every new car is capable of 85 miles at 4 miles/kWh and 21.3 kWh useable (laboratory measured, not theory or Nissan published infotainment)....
Tony

Too bad so many on this forum are are CarWings-incapable.

You could probably have had that figured out 14 months ago.

My earliest range test (after one Summer of use) on a hot Summer afternoon:

On 9/7/11...

According to CW, on this drive I used 18.7 kWh to drive 91.1 miles at average energy economy of 4.9 m/kWh....

Extrapolating from the chart, it appears CW may be saying the 1.7 kWh (8.5% from the chart, of 20.4 total kWh-anyone have a better number?) I had left at or near VLBW implies total available battery capacity of about 20.4 kWh.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since last year, however, I have seen a significant decrease in reported kWh use, apparently due to the "gauge problem", even though my range remains quite close to that I had 14 months ago:

...The ~ 9% (erroneous, I believe) increase in reported charge efficiency is fairly close to the ~11% (also erroneous, I believe) decrease in reported kWh use over my ~one-year-apart-near-identical-driving-condition range test a few weeks ago (from page two of this thread):

The results from 8/30/12 were:

97.3 miles to VLB, 98.9 miles in total, by the odometer.

CW: 96.5 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 5.7 m/kWh, 16.8 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, slightly past VLBW.

Compare this test with my first test on 9/7/11:

91.5 miles to VLB, 93.4 in total, by the odometer

CW: 91.1 (~2.5% under-report) total miles, at 4.9 m/kWh, 18.7 kWh used from 100% to about the same capacity level, slightly past VLBW.

It seems very likely to me that both are reflecting the same underlying error in my LEAF’s dash, nav screen and CW kWh use reports, as also effected by other variables which I cannot eliminate from my observations.

So, I believe that the recharge time results are compatible with my range tests, which indicate no observed reduction in range, both probably indicating that my LEAF has no observable loss of available battery capacity (though some amount has almost certainly occurred) over the last 12 months.

Stoaty said:
I agree that Tony's data is grossly insufficient to make meaningful statements about battery capacity loss. We should use a very large sample; I suggest using Nissan's own data:

Phoenix - 4.7 years
Boston - 11.9 years

Looks like they are pretty much the same. I guess that proves the battery capacity in Phoenix isn't being significantly affected by heat. It's those damn gauges!!!

I hold my head in shame.... how could I, a simpleton of meager means, not understand this. I'm the problem, and not worthy of a Nissan product.

I hereby proclaim that I'll get rid of them post haste.

And it should be pointed out that Nielsen determines the viewing habits of the entire nation on a sample size of just 5,000... You don't necessarily need a large n to get meaningful data...

TonyWilliams said:
And there it is, as expected. If we had tested 100 LEAFs, it wouldn't be enough, since there are 40,000 worldwide. Ya, the forever impossible goal. I won't be hiring a statistician, but if you've read through our forum, you'll note that we have them here. We've also got more than a few engineers, scientists, physicists, etc. You've come to the right place!!!

No, my point is that it is a very small sample of approximately .016 percent nationally. On a regional basis for regional ratings, it is even smaller at approximately .006 percent... The sample of Leafs used for Tony's measurements was considerably larger on a regional basis. National polls typically use an even smaller sample of around 1,000 for the entire nation...

RegGuheert said:
TomT said:
And it should be pointed out that Nielsen determines the viewing habits of the entire nation on a sample size of just 5,000...
Perhaps your are making a different point than you intended... ;)

leafwing said:
Much ado about nothing.
Thank you ed for your relentless support for the owner's of the effected cars. We can now rest assured that our interest in good hands.
Give us a break for winter's sake.

From page two of this thread I have been suggesting the collection of data that would allow us to accurately asses the rate of and causes of battery capacity loss.

Unfortunately, many seem to think misinforming LEAF drivers about the implications of capacity bar loss has seemed to be the goal of many other participants in this discussion. I don't see how that behavior can "support" those with capacity bar losses.

azdre:
In the last few weeks, we've lost one of the 'available' bars (see picture). We've put 17,000 miles on it in 14 months. I immediately called the dealer, and he said it's normal, we'd lose one bar and then won't lose any more, and he's seen it in cars with only 6 months of use. He's had Nissan Engineers evaluate it and it's 'normal'. Battery test from 3/28/2012 was normal, 12 status bars, 5 stars.

At 100% charge, we only get about 3-5 miles now off of the 12th bar. I think I've had 10% drop in range in the last handful of months but I have no evidence to support that. Sometimes my old leadfoot ways return when I least expect it, so I don't want to shout much about overall range, but I "feel" like it's dropped significantly, and the loss of a bar supports that.

Has anyone else seen this? This does not seem like the 'gradual' loss advertised.

http://flic.kr/p/bVbwYG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun:

Since you are, AFAIK, the first to report this, would you give some more of your car's back story?

What are your charging/driving habits?

Do you charge to 100% and keep it there, or discharge to below LBW often?

What is the ambient temp where your car is driven or parked?

What sort of temp bar levels on the dash, do you see during the Summer?

I believe that if you "accept" and monitor your CW kWh use on long trips, you will get accurate reports of available battery capacity, that would certainly show a reduction, if in the order of 10%.

With one year and 8,500 miles on my LEAF, I am pretty sure my available capacity has not dropped more than a few percent, if any.

cwerdna said:

It IS a problem for those in hot climates like Phoenix, AZ and TX. Others in hot climates (and a few in not so hot climates) have also lost battery capacity.

Heat impacts battery longevity and performance. That impact is worse in places like Phoenix. Nobody denies that, including Nissan. The results of the Leaf owner's tests verified that most were still operating within published limits. At what point his constitutes a "problem" is arbitrary.

Unless something is done, I'm pretty sure we're going to see another wave of battery capacity losers in those hot climates next summer as new cars reach the one year mark and others have theirs age another year. The cycle will repeat... Meanwhile, those in mild climates (e.g. San Francisco, Western WA, Portland, etc.) will see MUCH slower degradation, even w/higher mileage than their AZ/hot climate counterparts.

Battery capacity loss is normal and expected. Higher loss in really hot places is also expected and normal, just as really short range is expected and normal on a -10 degree day. Something is being done. Nissan is responding by buying back cars that fall outside of the published band, and then some.

Tony Williams said:

And there it is, as expected. If we had tested 100 LEAFs, it wouldn't be enough, since there are 40,000 worldwide. Ya, the forever impossible goal. I won't be hiring a statistician, but if you've read through our forum, you'll note that we have them here.

Statistics involves picking not only the appropriate number of samples, but a sufficiently random number of data points to avoid skewing results. Your "Phoenix sick LEAFs" test for example used what you thought were ten damaged cars, not a statistically significant number of randomly chosen cars in the Phoenix area, yet you still got results that disproved your claim ...and didn't even realize it until it was pointed out to you by Mark's simple plots of your results, which I concur with:

graph_06.jpg

Simply put, because you used 84 miles as your standard instead of 76, this was not a test to see if these twelve cars performed within published acceptable limits, which would be a reasonable thing to test. It was instead, a test to prove that they would not meet the maximum value in an acceptable range, which is a nonsensical thing to test. However, by simply plotting your test results using the appropriate value (the low end of the acceptable range) your test transforms into one demonstrating that 10 out of the 12 (or 8 out of 10 depending) cars thought to be out of spec were, in reality, within (or just barely out of) spec.

Once it was pointed out that most of this skewed sampling still met specs, you shifted gears and are now trying to convince people that the published specification boundaries are some kind of ruse or conspiracy theory.

Nissan published that performance band (76-84 miles) to cover anticipated variances (as witnessed by the waiver you signed, not once, but twice) in temperature and use. They were a bit off for some cars in the Phoenix heat wave, and acknowledge that.

It is utterly irrelevant should somebody demonstrate that the performance band of cars coming out of a factory door is different than the published spec telling owners what to expect in the real world. Once again, because your latest car failed to hit 84, your test results are belying your own claims, which this time says that there is no variation in performance (no range band) of cars at the factory door. That range band could very well prove to be different than the published spec used in your study, but that is because the published band is meant to be used for real world performance. There are different specs for different purposes.

We've also got more than a few engineers, scientists, physicists, etc. Youve come to the right place!!!

For sure, and I'm one of those engineers, which highlights why your insinuation that they all agree with you is misleading.

You two that I specifically name (who very publically dispute our work here) and a tiny handful of what can only be affectionately termed "battery deniers" are clearly on opposite sides of the fence from we who are interested in the truth.

Riiight ...the truth. Everyone thinks they have the truth, which is why it is irrelevant that we do. You are arguing that majority defines truth, and you have the truth because the majority of the comments at this forum are supportive. Analogously, because the vast majority of Americans don't by the theory of evolution, it is not the truth.

Anyone interested in the truth just has to read this response to your comment under this article.

The motivation seems to be (for those of us watching you two) to help "save" Nissan from we "misguided" loud complainers that are bad news for the EV movement with our faulty, non-scientific FUD.

I'd rephrase that to say you are doing harm with your pseudoscience and lack of engineering knowledge to a budding and critically important new technology. Google "Dunning-Kruger" effect.

I'm also glad you are the first to broach the subject of motivation. I'm hard pressed to understand what motivated you to drive a leased Leaf into the ground (29.000 miles in a single year) other than as a notoriety seeking antic.

You repeatedly leap-frogged from charger to charger, a Leaf, designed for urban city driving of less than 100 miles on a charge, from Mexico to Canada. I’m trying to think of a better way to stifle the sales/development of the first generation of mass produced electric vehicles than by highlighting their inherent engineering limitations by taking them on missions they were never designed to do.

Anyway, the 84 mile range autonomy is repeatable.... over and over and over.

A) It is irrelevant what the performance band is at the factory door.
B) You have not pinned down what that performance band is, assuming it is relevant to do so.

Please do call us when you add to the breadth of knowledge. Maybe grab a new LEAF off a lot and take it for an 84 mile test drive in still air, 80F temps, level terrain, and a steady 100kmh ground speed with cruise control. But, first make sure it hasn't been baking in the sun all summer.

Straw men arguments work well in oral debate but are largely ineffective in blog debates, where your opponent can simply point them out time and again. For the tenth time, nobody, including Nissan has ever claimed that extreme temperatures won't affect battery performance. You signed a waiver acknowledging that performance will be a function of things like temperature, not once, but twice, assuming you leased two Leafs.

TomT said:

No, my point is that it is a very small sample of approximately .016 percent nationally. On a regional basis for regional ratings, it is even smaller at approximately .006 percent... The sample of Leafs used for Tony's measurements was considerably larger on a regional basis. National polls typically use an even smaller sample of around 1,000 for the entire nation...

But Tom, they didn't go out of their way to find 1,000 angry Republicans to poll. And a sample as high as 50% is still meaningless if you have a sample size of two. But what is really important to understand here is that it is irrelevant what range band cars at the factory door have. That is not the range band consumers can expect once the cars meet the many varied driving environments that exist out in the real world. Nobody has denied that extreme heat has an impact.

Biodiversivist said:
Nissan published that performance band (76-84 miles) to cover anticipated variances (as witnessed by the waiver you signed, not once, but twice) in temperature and use. They were a bit off for some cars in the Phoenix heat wave, and acknowledge that.
Are you suggesting that some new Leafs come with 19 kWh of usable energy on a full charge and others come with 21 kWh of usable energy? Or do you agree with 21 kwh on a full charge (or quite close to it) is the standard for a new Leaf? Are you suggesting the Phoenix heat wave caused temporary or permanent loss of capacity? Is Nissan now claiming that a Leaf can be driven 12500 miles per year in Phoenix and still last 10 years until End of Life (70% remaining capacity)? If not, how long does Nissan project the Leaf to last in Phoenix on average until EOL, assuming 12500 miles per year? Are they disclosing this in Arizona now at the point of sale? If you have read previous posts, my Battery Aging Model, based on their model (which was tweaked by them with data from Phoenix Leafs) suggests 4.7 years until EOL in Phoenix at 12500 miles per year. I would love to have Nissan come straight out and say that their model and data to date prove my model to be far too pessimistic, and that the few cars tested at Casa Grande and in Tony's range test were outliers. So far, all they have said is that they were outliers based on higher annual mileage than the 7500 miles per year average for Arizona. Haven't heard any other claims from them so far, though . Still waiting.

Biodiversivist said:
Heat impacts battery longevity and performance. That impact is worse in places like Phoenix. Nobody denies that, including Nissan.

That's not true. Nissan did not tell me that. Battery capacity will be 80% after 5 years, 70% after 10 years; that's what I was told.

Stoaty said:
[...]So far, all they have said is that they were outliers based on higher annual mileage than the 7500 miles per year average for Arizona. Haven't heard any other claims from them so far, though . Still waiting.

Has anyone established if there is any scientific validity to using the localized Arizona average of 7500 miles per year rather than the 12,000 miles per year number cited elsewhere?

Back