Car wings reports range dropping while trickle charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfelty

Today I went to try the charging stations that are at our nearby high school. There are number of 110 outlets with designated parking spaces for "fuel efficient" vehicles. After weeding through the spaces filled with hybrids I found an empty space and began charging using my cable. Over the next 10 minutes I did several checks of range using the Carwings app. On each successive check the car had "lost" one mile of range. Everything else seemed normal in that the charge lights were on and the app showed charging. And for reference I have successfully trickle charged every night in the ten days I have owned the car. Any thought about why estimated mileage was dropping while charging? Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum & the LEAF !

As you will find out (if you haven't already by pre-reading this forum's great technical info), the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) that tries to estimate how many miles can be achieved out of the electrons that are stored in the battery ... is .... well ... a *GUESS*. It depends on too many parameters (conditions) to easily explain. In addition it is actually very hard to measure the energy in the battery. Finally, especially when charging on 120V there may be an energy overhead used for cooling parts of the charging system, or (if you're using it) pre-heating and pre-cooling. The drain needed for these can temporarily exceed the energy delivered from the plug.

Not to worry ... all sounds normal. Enjoy the LEAF without obsessing over the "GOM". (Warning: Ignoring this last piece of advice can cause ulcers ;) ) Keep reading the forum, and in no time you'll find out what is and isn't "happening" :)

Where are you located ? Consider updating your profile in "User Control Panel".

There's a known bug where the reported miles from CarWings isn't updated properly until the car is restarted. This could be a manifestation of that bug. Anyway, I'm confident the car ISN'T actually discharging on you, and I wouldn't be concerned.

Thanks for the answers. It was the first time I'd seen that reverse number phenomenon and I was only testing the plugs for a short time. So I unplugged and got on with my day. I'm in New England and it was a very hot day in case that matters. But I wasn't concerned and thanks to your answers I know not to be. Love this site and love this car! Thanks for the help. - Rick

Back