Carwings is Free

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraQ

Got an email from Nissan saying that until further notice Carwings is free. :)

Well that's good. I am not sure I would have paid for it since all I use it for is to turn on the A/C on particularly hot days.

Now if I could use it to drive my car through the parking garage and pick me up James Bond style... that would be something.

SierraQ said:
Got an email from Nissan saying that until further notice Carwings is free. :)

Well that's good. I am not sure I would have paid for it since all I use it for is to turn on the A/C on particularly hot days.

Now if I could use it to drive my car through the parking garage and pick me up James Bond style... that would be something.

some folks here will ask: why cant we opt out?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
When will CarWings go 3G? 2015?

If/when it does, it will have to be via a TCM upgrade...and I sure hope that's before 2017 because that's when AT&T is going to shut down the 2G data network our current Leafs use!

This is nice. I was wondering, since Carwings continued working after our LEAF passed the three year mark. I use it when the LEAF needs to be charged away from home and I want to verify that the car is charging and hasn't been unplugged.

I seriously doubt there will be any free upgrade path for existing models prior to 2015... There might be none at all, in fact, for the earliest cars...

(I never received an email or letter about Carwings being free, BTW...)

Stanton said:
If/when it does, it will have to be via a TCM upgrade...and I sure hope that's before 2017 because that's when AT&T is going to shut down the 2G data network our current Leafs use!

The "upgrade" will be putting in a OVMS module in place of the TCM. They have a bit of a ways to go on the leaf specific stuff but it's essentially proven hardware on the roadster and twizzy. And yes, it's 3G.

SierraQ said:
Nissan showed an autonomous LEAF development vehicle (actually several) at the Tokyo Auto Show this year. Nissan has indicated that having the car park itself after the driver exits and as well as picking you up at the door of a shopping center are likely to be early applications of this type of technology.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_q7Bb5DfFs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQLMs1gTew[/youtube]

Parking is one thing , but if the car is licensed and not the driver, you could send the kids to school (or anywhere. Teens to the mall.) or pick them up. Send the car to get Grandma, hopefully it comes back with your Grandma. You could send it to a restaurant that doesn't deliver and pick up dinner. Empty cars driving all over the place! Hopefully incorporating a failsafe to prevent car bomb drones. An empty car driving wouldn't need CC, but wireless induction pads will have to become ubiquitous.

If all charging was inductive, and with autonomous drive, you'd have less station problems as the cars would move off the pad themselves when done, maybe even give up the pad to a car more in need if they have enough charge already. Politeness protocals.

Back