ChargePoint L1 GFI messages -

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

09Bamb00

I have attempted to use the Level 1 stations at Lakeland, Tampa and Bloomingdale, Florida. In all cases, I was using my Nissan Leaf issued trickle charging equipment. In all cases, after 1 minute a red light came on, the station beeped and a message: "Charging Suspended General Fault Interruption - will attempt restart in 15 minutes."

This trickle charger works fine in a "regular" outlet. Does anyone know why this message occurs on the ChargePoint stations? :?:

2012 Silver Leaf, Florida

That's because your L1 adapter has a leak, which is a potential safety problem. Electrical wiring codes and UL specs require the EVSE to stop the flow of energy, just like your kitchen outlet shuts off when your toaster falls into the sink full of conductive soapy water.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFCI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more details, return the L1 adapter to your dealer for a replacement that won't endanger you, and try L2 charging instead.

I had same problem but it's a design issue I think. The ChargePoint L1 connection here is a door that opens and has to close against the cable on the EVSE. When this happens the brick in the EVSE hangs and pulls the plug out of the outlet. Design error I would say is on Nissan/Panasonic? since there should be enough cable from the plug to the brick to let the brick sit on the floor.

2 Cents and complimentary pick ax to poke holes

ksnogas2112 said:
I had same problem but it's a design issue I think. The ChargePoint L1 connection here is a door that opens and has to close against the cable on the EVSE. When this happens the brick in the EVSE hangs and pulls the plug out of the outlet. Design error I would say is on Nissan/Panasonic? since there should be enough cable from the plug to the brick to let the brick sit on the floor.

2 Cents and complimentary pick ax to poke holes
The SAE J1772 testing requirements mandate the EVSE have a maximum length to an AC receptacle of 305 mm (or about 12 inches). While this doesn't necessary mean the production version needs the same length, modifying the length would require retesting and then it would fail because the length is too long for testing. :lol:

It's a common problem with Leaf and Volt L1 adapter travel cords.
Short answer: Use L2 instead.

More info at https://coulombtech.zendesk.com/entries/21775522-nissan-leaf-level-1-travel-cord" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, this is a known problem with the GFCI in the ChargePoint being overly sensitive. This is not a fault of your Nissan/Panasonic EVSE.

If people keep complaining to Coulomb, maybe they'll fix it.

-Phil

Back