Charging at a Condominium

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbscapes

Hello!

I am looking to buy a Leaf.

I own a condo and I'm wondering if anyone has had the experience of approaching a condo board to ask if it's feesable of putting in a charging station.

Thank you.

Beth

Yes, I received approval from the HOA to install the AV EVSE in our parking garage on the wall next to my two parking spaces. Easy for me, however, may not be for everyone. There are only 7 units in our building, and I am on the board of directors (almost everyone is). Electric meters are in parking garage and only 45-50 feet from the place I want to install charging dock. Since my two spaces have a wall to the right, the meter won't interfere with anyone else parking.

Interestingly, when I had Electric Connection come out to give a quote they told me that 2/3 of the installs (or quotes?) they were doing were in condos/apartments rather than single family dwellings.

Bottom line: get at least one quote, then present specific information in a formal request to the HOA and don't proceed with anything until you get approval. I ordered the AV EVSE cash & carry right AFTER I got formal approval to install the charging dock.

I don't think the HOA can generally stop you... just set standards to do a professional job, not alter the usability of common area, or create a hazard maintenace issue etc.

I live in Santa Monica and had to forgo Level 2 charging because my electric panel was only 50 amps and the city code would not allow a 240 volt 40 amp circuit to run off of that. No worries, I just had my electrician install a 120V 20A circuit and run the conduit a good 100 feet to my parking spaces.

The HOA board was enthusiastic that I was breaking ground for them since many will buy EVs in the future.

After learning a lot about the needs of multi-family charging, I organized a symposium at the Santa Monica Library to inform people about the various issues they would encounter. You can see the video here: http://www.youtube.com/user/pluginamerica?feature=mhum#p/u/0/79ShT3YUVVA

Hawaii passed a law recently that precludes landlords or HOA from preventing someone from installing EVSE at their apartment or condo as long as the renter/condo owner was willing to pay the full cost of installation as well as the energy used. We are introducing similar legislation here in CA. I expect it will pass easily.

I live in a large condo in Los Angeles, and the HOA has been very enthusiastic in giving the go-ahead. Their only request is that I supply the board with a "help" file, so other owners know what to expect if they decide to buy an EV also. Fair enough! They've lent me a key to the electrical room about 13 times now. :) After getting about 4 different electricians' opinions (generally head-scratching followed by mumblings about the old building) I also ended up using Electric Connection and H.A.S Electric. The install should be next week, and these guys seem to know what they're doing. It's not super cheap, but really only because of the distance from my meter to my parking space.

jcodeglia said:
I live in a large condo in Los Angeles, and the HOA has been very enthusiastic in giving the go-ahead... It's not super cheap, but really only because of the distance from my meter to my parking space.
Was moving your space closer not an option?

davewill said:
jcodeglia said:
I live in a large condo in Los Angeles, and the HOA has been very enthusiastic in giving the go-ahead... It's not super cheap, but really only because of the distance from my meter to my parking space.

I know moving spaces may in an option in some condo complexes but in our's, for instance, our 2 tandem spaces are deeded to us with our unit. They are considered our property, not part of common area. On the good side for us, we are quite close to the meter room and face a side wall so are in good shape for future EVSE installation. Others in our underground structure are not so lucky. Their spaces are either out in the middle, not near a wall at all and/or very far from the meter room. It is virtually impossible to swap parking spots since they are actually part of the deed to the property.

davewill said:

It was an option for me to move spaces, I just didn't feel like doing it. Mainly because I love my space compared to the ones closer to my meter, but also because I'm lazy and didn't feel like adding any more hassle. I'm sure there would have been paperwork involved (Gasp!).

We had received approval from our COA for an install at our townhouse condo. The electric panel is in the third floor guest room, with the garage two floors directly beneath - go figure. The contractor will need to run conduit down, through the wall, which may require a couple of drywall cuts. No changes to common elements will be required, and thus an easy approval from our COA. The cost will be about $700 out-of-pocket (after what eTec pays).

Delivery of our Leaf is about a month away, so I am hoping to hear from the installer soon!

All done! Check out photos/video the installation at my condo garage here! I had Electric Connection do the work. They weren't cheap, but I wanted some pros with experience since I was dealing with a structure I don't own. They did a really tidy job and were great to work with.

Here are the final pictures from the install at our condo. It was a long journey but with a successful conclusion. Our PU was DWP and permit by LA City Building and Safety. :mrgreen: Thank you to Robert, Gary, Boomer, Mitch, and others in our SoCal group who listened to my stories of progress or lack thereof and offered lots of encouragement. You guys are the best. DWP took pictures to use as "case study"!
http://flic.kr/ps/213wwd

Kat

jcodeglia said:
All done! Check out photos/video the installation at my condo garage here! I had Electric Connection do the work. They weren't cheap, but I wanted some pros with experience since I was dealing with a structure I don't own. They did a really tidy job and were great to work with.

I really like this one, make a lot of sense to have a 120V outlet right below it. We did something similar in our set up. Nice to have a back up way to charge just in case the EVSE goes "on the blink" or we end up with a second EV, which is quite likely at some point. I have not had a single issue with mine but it appears that a sizable number does.

A couple of notes...Governor Brown recently signed SB 209, which deals with electric vehicle charging in common interest developments. It's not perfect, but a start...Link below...

http://www.aroundthecapitol.com/billtrack/text.html?bvid=20110SB20994CHP

Also, on Tuesday 8/23 from 9:30am to 11:00am, SDG & E will be hosting a multi-unit dwelling vehicle charging workshop. Here is a link for more information and to register.

https://seminars.sdge.com/iebms/coe/coe_p1_all.aspx?cc=coe&oc=05

People that have already navigated the installation waters are especially welcome to join us and tell their story so others can learn...

Randy

Beth,

See this post which i posted in another area of the forum: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've had a Leaf since 2011, first charging using a 110 outlet at an apartment complex, and later at a 240 outlet in an apartment complex when we did the EVSE upgrade.

We're now buying a townhome in Seattle, WA and need a new, permanent charging solution. We'll own the covered parking space but it's about 100 feet from the house, requiring a new line through neighbor yards to reach the space with a new outlet. An alternative is to tap into the main electric meter next to the driveway, but this will require a new box along with other equipment. I've had some bids back ranging from $2500-3000 and this seems high for what is needed. The charging equipment and plug could be mounted on a pole or support beam, but there are no flat walls available. I'm trying to find a creative/economical solution that won't involve installation of a full charging station, since we don't particularly need this. A standard 240 outlet would work, but is the power brick suitable for continuous outdoor use throughout the year (weather proof)? Are there any other good suggestions for a good way of getting power to our space with basic equipment?

dfwcre8tive said:
A standard 240 outlet would work, but is the power brick suitable for continuous outdoor use throughout the year (weather proof)?
The stock brick is good for outdoor use, but you want to keep it out of any standing water if at all possible. And if the 240V plug is exposed to the rain, you really want it to be protected by a GFCI breaker as well.

If you are 100ft away from the nearest power, your only option is to trench, and I would think at that point you might as well have some sort of pole installed to either hang your EVSE upgrade on or mount a regular EVSE.

We also live in Seattle and charge outdoors in front of the house in an exposed location.

When it rains, we cover our brick and its connection to the extension cord with an upside-down circular plastic snow sled (of the ones little kids use). Never had any problem (almost 1 year now).

Basically, you can use any plastic thing that's sloped right and still leaves room for ventilation (an upside down plastic box, etc.).

Good luck, Assaf

Back