Charging batteries at home.. HEAVY DRAIN!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there data on how many trips per day as well? Ideally you'd have the total mileage per day as well as trips/trip-distance per day so that you'd be able to better estimate how many chargers are remote locations would be useful.

All this is nice if you are designing an EV or putting together a sales plan, but if you are thinking about buying one, the only figures that matter are your own. I've been keeping track of the mileage on my car for the past eight months, and here is my mileage distribution. Two notes:

1) I didn't record either miles per day or miles per trip, per se. Instead I recorded miles per home charge opportunity; which I defined as at least eight hours. (By the way, this means I start at 1 mile, not 0.)

2) As may be obvious, my car is not used for commuting. That's because I'm retired.

01-05 36.8%
06-10 21.3%
11-15 05.9%
16-20 00.7%
21-30 12.5%
31-40 08.1%
41-50 03.7%
51-75 05.1%
76-99 02.2%
100 up 3.7%

Because I'm a conservative old cuss, this means that I expect to borrow my wife's Prius about 6% of the time. (Actually, most of those "51-75" numbers were in the 50's.)

Looks like for 3% (to maybe 10%) of the trips (depending upon the driving conditions), you would need "more" than the 100-mile LA4 range capability.

Yet, since over 50% of your trips are 10 miles or less, some "average" view of your data might say that you "are" an under-20-mile-per-day driver.

Like statistics that say the "average" driver goes less than 40 miles per day (what percentage of the days, every day?), this "driver" might not actually exist.

As the EV rollout starts, will be interesting to see more "real" numbers, like yours. Thanks.

garygid said:
Here, in southern CA, the "base" rate (currently, fir the first 336 kWh of usage) is about $0.13 per kWh (I call one kWh an "edie", after Thomas Edison), but the base allottment is easily used, even with "little" use.

Tier 2 (the next 101 kWh) is about $0.15 per edie, but this quantity is also easily used.

Tier 3 (the next 235 edies) is about $0.28 per edie, and air-conditining (or EV charging) will easily use this up.

Tier 4 (beyond the Tier 3 usage) is apparently $0.30 per kWh - easy to reach with any significant EV charging.

Thus, 24 edie at $0.30 is just over $7, for the "full tank".
So, I put in a 7kW PV solar system.

Here's a headscratcher. In Texas, the more electricity you use the LOWER the price per kWh.
Average Monthly Usage vs Price per kWh:
500 kWh = 10.4¢
1000 kWh = 9.60¢
2000 kWh = 9.20¢

worldcitizenUSA said:
Here's a headscratcher. In Texas, the more electricity you use the LOWER the price per kWh.
500 kWh = 10.4¢
1000 kWh = 9.60¢
2000 kWh = 9.20¢

Power of lobbying (by businesses/industries).

TOU can actually kill your bill depending on your usage unless you have solar to keep the usage down. Many utilities offer a fixed rate on a separate meter which may make sense for those that will be far over baseline. I would caution many people to calculate their rates based on the new rate after the addition of Leaf charging per month. If you are at baseline and paying say $.10 per KWH and charging the leaf in the summer it puts you at 300% of baseline based on your usage then you may be paying $.32 per KWH for that percentage over the upper tiers of baseline. Just looking at your present bill is not a good way to judge the cost. Look at your high months of KWH usage and add the estimated total kwh for Leaf charges in that month and look at the baseline increases and additional cost. The utility company should be able to estimate these costs.

Some TOU rates on peak can be as much as $.79 or more! Even those with solar that charge at peak times may benefit from a separate meter but those that net out at year end will not benefit form a new meter unless they drive quite a bit and charge on peak. I highly recommend a Ted 5000 energy detective for cost monitoring on the Leaf and for savings in general, I found 400 watts of parasitic loads in the first day of installing mine and it is an eye opener. For those on standard metering scales the Ted will show you the exact cost per hour for your usage and the separate cost for the Leaf. I have spent quite a bit of time with the 5000 unit on PGE TOU for those that may have questions.

worldcitizenUSA said:
500 kWh = 10.4¢
1000 kWh = 9.60¢
2000 kWh = 9.20¢

In deregulated areas, most of us pay a flat rate plus a monthly service fee. Unfortunately, deregulation has driven prices up and turned ordinary consumers into energy speculators (by forcing folks into buying long-term rate plans if they want a decent rate.) :evil:

I'm currently paying $0.134/kWh, and my contract is up in September. I may switch early and pay the $200 fee to escape my contract.

It's even worse than that, in Massachusetts, our energy generation is billed separatly from energy delivery & transport, so your local utility bills you for the delivery & transport, while you probably have a 3rd party who is supplying the power. all I know is, I now pay on average of .15 / KW overall, and each month it keeps going up, as the transport & delivery charges keep rising, even though I am contracted for generation @ .08108 / KW

so the delivery and transport costs almost as much as the generation here...

We can all thank "enron" for this situation :(

Back