Charging car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petmil

So there are no stupid questions.

So my leaf has a 24kw motor ... So from a dead start it uses 24 kw. to charge the battery and if I have 30% left then it should be 30% less ..

So I hear all about bars here. are those the bars on the left side of the instrument panel... I notice a #1 there all the time.

That's it for now thanks

Actually, your car has a 24KWH battery pack. The motor is rated, if I remember correctly, at 80KW. Note that "KWH" refers to total energy stored, while "KW" refers to power used. The bars on the left side of the dash show battery temperature, in a vague kind of way. You want to have no more than 5 temp bars showing normally, six at most if it's hot outside. The large bars on the right side of the dash show, very imprecisely, how much charge you have. The tiny little white bars right next to the big "fuel" bars are the ones that show, again imprecisely, battery capacity.

LeftieBiker said:
Actually, your car has a 24KWH battery pack. The motor is rated, if I remember correctly, at 80KW. Note that "KWH" refers to total energy stored, while "KW" refers to power used.
Yep.

kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

If one somehow consumes 80 kW for 1 hour, then that's 80 kWh consumed, which is way beyond the capacity of the Leaf's 24 kWh battery (~21 to 22 kWh usable). If it's 10 kW for 1 hour, it's 10 kWh consumed. 1 kW for 1 hour? 1 kWh.

(BTW, 1 hp = ~0.746 kW and 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7 kWh.)

Back