Charging in the rain

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzwibel

Tomorrow I will be taking a relatively long trip to a friends house and I planned on charging while I was there via a regual outdoors outlet. It is suppoed to rain tomorrow. How safe is it to charge in the rain?

safe as when dry, with regard to the electricity.
there are safety devices, similar to GFIs, in the evse.
the bzzzt doesnt engage until the tool is fully inserted and the click happens.
that is my understanding.

just dont slip and fall.

perfectly safe. The plugs and connections were tested extensively in the rain and with standing water. The only issue that could come up is the outdoor plug is bad and short circuits from the rain, but that would be the socket's fault not the car. Outdoor plugs are supposed to rated to not have those problems anyways (think of christmas lights plugged in with rain/snow/sleet!)

Have charged in my driveway while washing the car. No effort to keep the hatch door closed or out of the spray. No problem.

mzwibel said:
Tomorrow I will be taking a relatively long trip to a friends house and I planned on charging while I was there via a regual outdoors outlet. It is suppoed to rain tomorrow. How safe is it to charge in the rain?
Keep the "brick" part of the EVSE out of puddles, otherwise, no stress.

The trickle charger EVSE that came on my 2012 specifically says:

"Don't expose the EVSE to wind and rain. Be sure to keep it where dirt and dust cannot enter the unit."

This does not gel with what everybody else says, and general common sense. Why do the instructions still say this? Must the "brick" be kept out of the rain, with the end of the cable ok to get wet, or are both fine?

IIRC, our innovative EE Phil (Ingineer)(evseupgrade.com) has stated that the brick is very well sealed. Rain is OK, immersion in water is not. It it were me, I would still try to give it some protection - perhaps drape a plastic bag over it.

I charge in the rain a lot using a Leviton 16A EVSE. The EVSE is mounted inside and the charging cable runs out through an RV electrical hatch through the garage wall.

I've charged a couple times in the rain with my modified Nissan/Panasonic EVSE. I cut off the molded L6-20P that was put on during modification and replaced it with a Leviton Wetguard L6-20P. The L6-20P to L6-20R extensions are also made with Leviton Wetguard devices; I have no problems exposing any of this to the rain; it is designed to handle it.

The reason Nissan, Panasonic, as well as us at EVSE Upgrade recommend not to charge in the rain is simple liability. The Panasonic unit is well designed, but we have still seen instances of water intrusion even in non-upgraded stock units. Immersion in deep water, or having water around cord, plug and/or housing seals when the temperature drops can result in water ingress. We take exceptional steps to seal every upgrade and have had very few problems with them in the field, but still, I recommend you take as many precautions as possible.

We've seen a number of stock units suck in water through the OEM Leviton plug end, which is why we went with a high-quality molded design rather than screw-on.

If you are going to permanently leave your EVSE outside, we recommend an extra housing to protect it and the AC power connection.

-Phil

I sit my EVSA brick on top of its own coiled cord underneath the car. That keeps it from being rained on and raises it above the runoff water (the cord couldn't care less about being wet). Never had any problems. As usual, if using the portable units remember to plug in at the outlet before plugging it the car; and unplug from the car before unplugging from the outlet. Otherwise it can arc and in the wet that might be a little too exciting.

Back