Charging my new leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petmil

So I'm a new leaf owner. This is a question about charging. I have read as much as I can and I understand that certain companies off charging stations so I can charge my leaf with a 240 service. Faster then the trickle charge.
What I want to do is wire a 220-240 amp dryer type plug into a wall in my garage. I think it's called a nema 14-50... So I get that installed. So what I need now is an adapter for my leaf J1775 so I can plug it into my new wall socket.

So I need one adapter with a 14-50 male end to plug into the wall socket and on the other end a 6-50 female end for my j1775 to plug into ...

Does anyone know a where I can get one or is it stocked in most good electrical outlets .. Finally is this a safe and good way to go then spending allot on a new charging station ...Thanks

get a proper 14-50 outlet installed in the garage.

then buy something like this:

HCS-40P-with-NEMA-14-501-300x400.jpg

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-14-50-plug/

There are many other options, but this is what I'd do (if I were starting over).

As long as the neutral is wired you can get 120V from one of the L lines to the neutral, The main problem is that the current is far greater than 15A but if the EVSE is fused it will work fine. A 14-50R is usually found in RV parks to supply big RV's with 240V and 120V so it supplies both. It is approved for 40A and 50A but not 30A.

The parts to make up an adapter are less than $25 from Amazon. More at Home Depot or Lowes. If I was to make up an adapter I would include a 15A fuse just to be safe.

Maybe I just don't use a 14-50 receptacle box. I see something like this. Then I would just plug my J1772 directly into that plug. why go to all the expense of a docking station..

Leviton 5378 50 Amp, 250 Volt, Surface Mounting Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Grounding, Black

google it. yes safety is a concern but isn't my charging plug setup J1772 all fused etc. Not the proper term I know ...

your LEAF came with a 120V 'trickle charge' J1772 EVSE. It is not designed to work on 240V.

You can modify it (by yourself, if you really know what you are doing, but I'd guess you don't otherwise you wouldn't have asked your question) or pay someone to do it. I used http://evseupgrade.com/.

But, honestly, I've never used the 240V functionality (yet, after 3 years). It really is just my 'backup'.

your trickle charger can't plug into a 6-50 - why are you mentioning that?

What really is your question? What are you trying to accomplish?

Petmil said:
Maybe I just don't use a 14-50 receptacle box. I see something like this. Then I would just plug my J1772 directly into that plug. why go to all the expense of a docking station..

Leviton 5378 50 Amp, 250 Volt, Surface Mounting Receptacle, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Grounding, Black

Go right ahead...if you want to blow up your Leaf and burn down your house.
Or...do what the guy who originally answered your question told you to do. :roll:

Plugging the L1 that came with the car into a 240 outlet, without modifying it like with EVSE Upgrade, will destroy it, and it won't be covered under warranty.

Unless you live in a 240 country like the UK or EU.

Petmil said:

DON'T DO IT!!! Seriously. You will destroy the factory EVSE. If the car is leased, you will need to obtain a replacement factory one before the car is returned, a new one of which could cost over $1,000!!! Don't think of sneaking a destroyed (by your negligence) EVSE past Nissan either; they are well aware of this practice and know what to look for.

If you want the faster charging of 240 volt, the least expensive non-DIY solution is to go with EVSE Upgrade, and have the factory one upgraded to dual voltage operation. It's $287, plus you may want to purchase their adapter so you can again plug it into a 120 volt outlet should the need arise. Check the Marketplace section, as occasionally someone whose lease is almost up will offer to trade their already-upgraded one for your stock one plus a small amount.

Otherwise, go with JuiceBox, or a factory-built EVSE like the Clipper Creek mentioned above.

I just read This... What do you think. This is what I'm getting at...

Welcome to EVSE Upgrade

Plug-in Electric Vehicles (EV's) all need a device called an EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) to connect them to electricity for charging. We normally call these "Charging Stations", "Charging Cords", or something similar. All EV's on the market are supplied with a compact portable charging cord from the factory designed for emergency or trickle charging which is called "Level 1". Unfortunately Level 1 charging is only using standard household outlets (110/120 volts) which simply cannot provide enough power to charge your EV in a reasonable time. (Please see this for some help understanding.)

Our upgrade service leverages the Level 1 cord you already have and improves its function by safely adding Level 2 capability which works on higher power outlets (208-240 volts). Once upgraded, you can then plug your cord into the high-power outlet and greatly increase your charging speed, and all for very low cost and hassle! There is now no need to have an expensive and cumbersome charge station permanently bolted to your wall that can cost you thousands of dollars and usually involve city inspections, electrical contractors, and long wait times to get it all done.

Once upgraded, all you need is a 208-240 volt outlet to experience incredible increase in charging speed! Many houses have existing outlets available, such as for clothes dryers, garage power tools, etc. If you don't have one, it's usually easy and inexpensive to have one added to your desired charge location, something any competent electrician can do for you. Your EVSE will still retain the Level 1 capability should you ever wish to charge on standard 120 volt outlets (optional plug adapter required). The upgraded unit also acts as a great backup to a permanently installed charge station, all while being fully portable!

That is exactly what I and others are recommending as a minimum solution. Note that if you have a Leaf with the 6.6 kW charger (which means any 2013+ Leaf except the Leaf S without the Quick Charge port) that the EVSE Upgrade won't charge your car at the maximum speed, but is still sufficient for overnight charging. Also if you need to bring the OEM unit with you often (because you need to charge at work, for example), having to constantly stow and un-stow the EVSE gets old very quickly.

As long as the neutral is wired you can get 120V from one of the L lines to the neutral, The main problem is that the current is far greater than 15A but if the EVSE is fused it will work fine.

NO. Unless you use a 12 amp 240 volt EVSE this is both illegal and dangerous. The "fuse" in a high amperage EVSE will not stop the small-gauge wires in the old 120 volt circuit from melting under a high load. The best-case scenario is the breaker or fuse trips every time you try to use it. The worst one is a fire.

I beg to differ, you can get 120V from either L wire to the neutral. This is how RV's get 120V. From both L lines you get 240V ignoring the neutral.

Thanks very much Mr dawg. I should of explained I'm anew leaf owner who is not familiar with all the lingo.

I thought my J1772 could be used as a trickle charge and a 240 charge. So for that to happen I need to convert it to except both type. Like I said new owner and will see how this all unfolds before I do anything in that regard..

Back