Charging stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novoken

Hello leafers

I will be picking up my leaf @ 9am today!! Cant wait

So I was able to get my job to install 2 level 2 charging stations and I might also need one for my townhouse.

Any stations that you guys have used that are around 600-900?

I see the Bosch, GE, Siemens, leviton and so on.

Novoken said:
So I was able to get my job to install 2 level 2 charging stations and I might also need one for my townhouse. Any stations that you guys have used that are around 600-900? I see the Bosch, GE, Siemens, leviton and so on.
Always plus installation, of course. Have you considered the EVSE Upgrade? For a bit more than $300 you get a dual voltage EVSE that is used by (literally) thousands of us and is more flexible than any you listed. It's not quite as fast as most of the others, but it will easily charge your car from empty to full while you sleep.

Ray

For a condo situation I would definitely look at the evseupgrade.com . I have a Schneider EVSE that I've been quite pleased with for the last year and would buy again. I'm looking to do the upgrade later this year so I can charge more quickly at RV parks en route to other destinations.

hmm let me look into this. So you just connect you regular level 1 that comes to the car and this one to your home outlet and get a faster charge?

update:

so Ive read on it and looks to be exactly what im looking for home. But Ill have to send my in..... thats a bummer. Other than paying $800 deposit is there a way around that?

Novoken said:
hmm let me look into this. So you just connect you regular level 1 that comes to the car and this one to your home outlet and get a faster charge?

update:

so Ive read on it and looks to be exactly what im looking for home. But Ill have to send my in..... thats a bummer. Other than paying $800 deposit is there a way around that?

Possibly, if you're within travel distance of Berkeley, CA.

Nubo said:
Novoken said:

update:

:cry: North Carolina toooo far lol

Maybe someone locally has one I can have for a short time period...... Any one from RTP/Car NC area in the forum?

Novoken said:
Nubo said:
Novoken said:

update:

:cry: North Carolina toooo far lol

Maybe someone locally has one I can have for a short time period...... Any one from RTP/Car NC area in the forum?

That's a good idea. Lots of folks like me have L2 and don't really use their L1 EVSE. You might want to start a thread in the appropriate section in the Regional forums, to ask. Also, it helps to put your location into your profile. Best wishes.

yep got the thread started. Just picked it up did like 6 miles and went from 100% to 96% is that correct?

Novoken said:
yep got the thread started. Just picked it up did like 6 miles and went from 100% to 96% is that correct?

That sounds right depending on your speed.

As far as the EVSE goes, afaik no one has done this but you might ask the dealer if they have a demo leaf that isn't using it's evse and borrow theirs while you upgrade yours.

Novoken said:
Just to be sure you haven't misunderstood, you get no faster charge if you connect to an ordinary 120v home outlet. You have to install a 240v outlet, or use one you already have (such as an unused dryer, hot water heater, or cooking range outlet). Well, there is another possibility. You could find two 120v outlets on opposite voltage legs and connect them using a "Quick 220" or equivalent.

Ray

ah yes read that also lol Im trying to find someone to come to check it out to install a 240v outlet. Anything else needs to be installed?

Has anyone used this charger?

EVI Plug-in EV Charger
http://www.amazon.com/EVI-Plug--Charger-Portable-Cord/dp/B00D6OGRX6/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1374756031&sr=1-2#productDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

planet4ever said:
... Well, there is another possibility. You could find two 120v outlets on opposite voltage legs and connect them using a "Quick 220" or equivalent.
Note: This would result in a 15 or 20a 240 circuit, and would not be enough to charge at more than the 3.3kW rate.

Novoken said:
http://www.amazon.com/EVI-Plug--Charger-Portable-Cord/dp/B00D6OGRX6/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1374756031&sr=1-2#productDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check this thread: Inexpensive portable Level-2 EVSE

Apparently there is some question as to whether it is really 240v or only 120v. And even a question as to whether these might be stolen. (This EVI is a new previously unknown company, not the EVI that spawned Clipper Creek.)

Ray

planet4ever said:
Novoken said:
Check this thread: Inexpensive portable Level-2 EVSE

Apparently there is some question as to whether it is really 240v or only 120v. And even a question as to whether these might be stolen. (This EVI is a new previously unknown company, not the EVI that spawned Clipper Creek.)

Ray
Better read the thread more carefully. The reference to "stolen" was about a different Clipper Creek unit that someone scored on eBay for cheap money....

The amazon unit is interesting.... I mean, it does not have the track record of Ingineer's EVSEUpgrade, but its a whole new unit and not just an upgrade to the Nissan "emergency" 120v EVSE. Probably worth considering if you are leasing....

Back