charging the 12 battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegreen

Will the Lithium batteries continue to charge the 12 volt battery if you draw current from the cigarette lighter? Wondering if you could power a radio for an extended period of time in an emergency?

With the car off, it charges the 12 volt battery every 5 days. With it on, it charges and powers it continuously.

littlegreen said:
Will the Lithium batteries continue to charge the 12 volt battery if you draw current from the cigarette lighter? Wondering if you could power a radio for an extended period of time in an emergency?

Mogur, how long do you think the aux battery will last vs. an ICE here in AZ? I know an ICE's battery is limited to no more than 3 years here (if you're lucky) and that it has to crank the starter. So without the cranking stress, I'm wondering how long one of these will last. Also, with an alternator, an ICE battery is good if it is in the 14.1-14.4 range while driving and 12.3-12.6 sitting. Has anyone tested our aux battery for voltage while being used and while just sitting?
I just checked it with a volt meter and it is 12.5V sitting in the garage off. Maybe that gauge some people are working on will be able to read it while driving.

It should last a long time in AZ since the heat soaking under the hood will be much less in the Leaf.. my guess 5-7 years unless it gets discharged for some reason.

Cars in AZ that keep their batteries away from the engine compartment get long lasting batteries.. a Prius is an example I think, 12V battery is in the trunk.

Back