charging timers question?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljwobker

I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to set the timers up so they behave like this:

between 7am and midnight, if the car is plugged in, charge to 100%.
between midnight and 7am, if the car is plugged in, charge only to 80%.

The idea is that if/when I get home from the day with nearly a full charge, I don't want the car to sit fully charged all night when it's not needed...

I looked through the timers setup screen but I couldn't figure it out, to be completely honest...

If you want 100% charge then set no start time and only an end time, the car wil calculate backward. . Sitting for a few hours is not going to make any difference. You can't have multiple timers.

If the timers allowed overlaps, and Timer 1 had priority,
perhaps this would work:

Timer 1: Start 12:01 AM, End 7:00 AM, charge to 80%
Timer 2: Start 7:00 PM, End 7:00 AM, charge to 100%

But, these Timers don't allow overlaps, not even
two Timers active in any single day, I believe.

You only get one timer per day. You are not the first to want such a plan.

I set mine with 80% morning end timer and use the override button for opportunity charging.

Possible to be interrupted and not restart when using the override button.
Although it has never happened to me.

EVDRIVER said:
If you want 100% charge then set no start time and only an end time, the car wil calculate backward. . Sitting for a few hours is not going to make any difference. You can't have multiple timers.

Sitting at 100% charge for call it 6 hours a day (assume it finishes charging at 3am and sits until 9am or so) is not going to make any difference? I was under the impression that this is exactly what should be avoided for battery life reasons...

ljwobker said:
EVDRIVER said:

Sitting at 100% charge for call it 6 hours a day (assume it finishes charging at 3am and sits until 9am or so) is not going to make any difference? I was under the impression that this is exactly what should be avoided for battery life reasons...

Just move your "end only" timer closer to the time you leave and no worries. For example, I have an 80% end-only timer set every day for 6am; I leave by 8am. If you want 100% (say weekend, etc.), just do an over-ride, or use the app to resume charging (to 100%).

ljwobker said:
I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to set the timers up so they behave like this:

between 7am and midnight, if the car is plugged in, charge to 100%.
between midnight and 7am, if the car is plugged in, charge only to 80%.

The idea is that if/when I get home from the day with nearly a full charge, I don't want the car to sit fully charged all night when it's not needed...

Your timing doesn't seem to be ideal. Are you charging at work? Are you using L2 or L1 or a combination? How do you arrive home with nearly a full charge? Are you trying to always have max capacity during the day but not at night?

I think you need to view this in terms of total energy needed per day. If you can get by with 80% at any given time, just do 80%!

But... if you really want this you probably need to do some creative timing depending on the energy you use. For example I charge to 100% at night and 80% during the day--the opposite of you. To accomplish this I have the timer set for 100% everyday between midnight and 4pm.
So at night the car is on L2 charger and will get to 100% by about 5am--then I leave at 7am.
At work on the L1 charger it will only get to 80% by 4pm.

Option 1: You could use a similar approach as above. Let's say you get home at 6pm typically with 30% charge and it takes 3 hours to get to 80%. Set the timer for 100% everyday between 7am and 9pm.
When you get home it will charge to about 80% by 9pm and stop. During the day it will charge as much as possible up to 100%.

Option 2: Set the timer for 80% ending at 7am (no start time). This will cover the night. During the day use the manual charge button to force 100% charging.

ljwobker said:
EVDRIVER said:

Set the end timer for 9a and it will be ready about 8a and sit for just an hour or two.

The logic goes something like this... I want the flexibility of having a full charge most of the time... I take a ton of short trips that sometimes become longer trips in the middle of the day... but once I get home after about 11pm or so, I'm in for the night and don't want to have the car charge to 100% by 1am and then sit at 100% until 9am if it doesn't need to...

ljwobker said:
The logic goes something like this... I want the flexibility of having a full charge most of the time... I take a ton of short trips that sometimes become longer trips in the middle of the day... but once I get home after about 11pm or so, I'm in for the night and don't want to have the car charge to 100% by 1am and then sit at 100% until 9am if it doesn't need to...
That is not an available option. You will need to set the morning charge end timer for the overnight to work. Then use the override button during the day.

Back