Charging to 80% - a setting?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMYK4Life

I am trying to make it so my 2013 Leaf SV starts L1 as soon as I plug it in (no matter what time of day or % charge) but will always stop at 80%.

Is this possible?

I dont get in at the same time everyday. Sometimes I plug in at 5pm. Sometimes 1am. Depends on work and social schedule.

Set the start timer and stop timer to the same time. i.e. 2pm. Set the timer to long battery life (80%). Then, it will always start charging as soon as EVSE is connected and stop at 80%, just like you need.

Randy

RePo said:
Set the start timer and stop timer to the same time. i.e. 2pm. Set the timer to long battery life (80%). Then, it will always start charging as soon as EVSE is connected and stop at 80%, just like you need.

Randy

Exactly. And on those times when you want it to charge to 100% simply push the button on the dash on the left of the steering wheel (for left-hand-side drive cars like in the US) to turn off the charging timer - the LEAF will beep a couple times confirming that you've done this. Best to do this shortly before you'll drive so that the battery doesn't sit at 100% charge for very long.

You folks gave him the correct answer for a 2011/2012, but if you always want 80% there is a simpler answer for a 2013. Don't bother with setting up timers at all; just set Long Life mode:
  • 2013 SV/SL: Zero Emission button -> Settings -> Long Life mode on.
  • 2013 S: Trip computer -> Settings -> Charge% -> 80%.

However, you can't override that with the immediate charge button or the Carwings app. To get 100% you would either have to switch out of long life mode or define a timer which is 100%.

Ray

planet4ever said:
You folks gave him the correct answer for a 2011/2012, but if you always want 80% there is a simpler answer for a 2013. Don't bother with setting up timers at all; just set Long Life mode:
  • 2013 SV/SL: Zero Emission button -> Settings -> Long Life mode on.
  • 2013 S: Trip computer -> Settings -> Charge% -> 80%.

However, you can't override that with the immediate charge button or the Carwings app. To get 100% you would either have to switch out of long life mode or define a timer which is 100%.

Ray

Thanks - wow, another neat feature on the 2013. Something to look forward to when my 2012 lease expires.

What are the advantages of Charging to 80% instead of 100% on 2013SV. Will be using upgraded L2 at home.
I am Leasing for 2 Yrs 24k Miles.

freshleaf said:
What are the advantages of Charging to 80% instead of 100% on 2013SV. Will be using upgraded L2 at home.
  • You save a bit on total charging time, because the charge rate tapers down as you approach 100%.
  • You probably get slightly higher mileage, because you can't use regen when you are at or near 100%.
  • Depending on your location, your car may be more valuable at the end of the lease. This could become important if the lease buyout turns out be lower than the car's value.
  • You have the satisfaction of knowing that you have done your part to conserve an important resource, to help the next guy who gets the car, or perhaps the one who gets the battery five years down the road for an off-grid home electric system.

Ray

planet4ever said:
freshleaf said:
  • You save a bit on total charging time, because the charge rate tapers down as you approach 100%.
  • You probably get slightly higher mileage, because you can't use regen when you are at or near 100%.
  • Depending on your location, your car may be more valuable at the end of the lease. This could become important if the lease buyout turns out be lower than the car's value.
  • You have the satisfaction of knowing that you have done your part to conserve an important resource, to help the next guy who gets the car, or perhaps the one who gets the battery five years down the road for an off-grid home electric system.

Ray

Sorry, but charging to 80% will not get them higher mileage. It makes no difference how much regen (except steep hills/mountains) you get, 100% (98% is all you need) will give you about 20 more miles depending on how the car is driven.

LEAFfan said:
planet4ever said:
freshleaf said:

Ray

Sorry, but charging to 80% will not get them higher mileage. It makes no difference how much regen (except steep hills/mountains) you get, 100% (98% is all you need) will give you about 20 more miles depending on how the car is driven.

You may not get higher range for the single trip but you can get higher range/power consumed. The end of the charge does waste more power just like 120V charging does and high SOC does greatly restrict regen when applicable so you actually could get those cumulative benefits by charging to 80%.

Back