Charging to 80% without using the Charging Timer?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafydragon

Hi all! First post here, just received my Leaf. :D

The manual seems to say that 80% charging ("long life" mode) is only available when using Charging Timer. True?
I guess this might suit most people who have very predictable commuting schedules, and have off-peak energy pricing.

I would like to ask if there's anything else I can do about it, if my use case is different.
I would prefer to always immediately charge to 80% whenever I get to my charging station.
What's the best way for me to achieve this?

THANKS!

Set timer to 80%, from 12 to 12... in other words, 24/7.

For home, I use the timer in the EVSE to charge off peak... not the car.

grommet said:

For home, I use the timer in the EVSE to charge off peak... not the car.

That's the way to make it automatic.

In my case I am waiting for Blink to get back to me with the installation date for a L2 EVSE, so I am still charging on the 120V L1 trickle charger. I set mine up to charge to 80% and stop at 9 am, with no start time set. That way I maximize the use of 10pm-8am off-peak rates, but it can start sooner if it needs to.

There's a timer cancel button on the bottom left corner of the dash, if you press that it will start charging as soon as power is available at the charge jack. If no charging power is available within 15 minutes, it reverts to timer mode. Pressing the button more than once toggles back and forth between timer and no timer. See page CH-24 and CH-25 in the manual.

MaxPower said:
grommet said:
That's the way to make it automatic.
Thanks!
Do you mean to set both the START and END as follows?
START: 12:00 noon
END: 12:00 noon
(Does it matter if it's noon or midnight?)

So this makes the timer behave like there is no timer? So that once I plug in supply, it starts immediately, and then stops whenever it reaches 80%? This is what I would like to have...

yes, you can wrap the time anyway you want, it could be 6am to 6am, whatever you want.

Also, just so you know at the marked time you have the charging "end" and the next day "start" (12 noon, 6am, etc.) your EVSE will actually kick on, the car will realized its charged and then turn the EVSE off. It can be annoying to have the EVSE kick on and some have argued it may wear the EVSE down or cause damage to the car (really unknown, I think its just because of the annoying sound).

I would pick a time when you would most likely NOT be plugged in (i.e. driving or parked at work, etc.). This way you minimize when the car switches over from day-to-day timers. For example, I do the 80% all the time and have mine set at 4:30 pm. I plug in at work, but at 4:30, I am always driving home from work, so the switch between days happens while I am driving and I don't have to get the EVSE kick at midnight or something.

Don't use a start timer only an end timer, this is an easy solution and adds many benefits, articulately for 100% charging.

EVDRIVER said:
Don't use a start timer only an end timer, this is an easy solution and adds many benefits, articulately for 100% charging.
If I understand you correctly, your advice is meant for users who have a regular scheduled time of picking up their car after charge.

EVDRIVER said:
The manual makes it sound like setting only the end time will result in the vehicle waiting before it begins charging, so that it will finish charging shortly before it reaches the end time. Is this correct?

If so, then this is not what leafydragon wants.

setting only an end time will cause the car to wait to start (if there is more than enough time to charge). This is how I have 80% every morning.

Back