Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I don't do long drives anymore. If I can't lease a Bolt in the Albany area for a good price, the car's off my list. I doubt the rebate applies to out of state leases anyway.

No problem. Cargill will deliver a two day test drive car to you.

No problem. Cargill will deliver a two day test drive car to you.

That's tempting. Is Cargill a national lease company, or a dealership?

<Goes off to search name>

Ah, they're a CT dealership. Alas, I lose $4k in discounts just by being from another state, and I suspect I also lose the $2k NY rebate. I doubt I can afford to lease a $44k car.

Leftie/DNA - the NYS incentive is a point-of-sale rebate. You must purchase from a dealership in NYS to qualify. You must also register the car in NY. On the plus side, being point-of-sale makes it automatic, and you don't get taxed on that extra $2k.

GetOffYourGas said:
Leftie/DNA - the NYS incentive is a point-of-sale rebate. You must purchase from a dealership in NYS to qualify. You must also register the car in NY. On the plus side, being point-of-sale makes it automatic, and you don't get taxed on that extra $2k.

Yeah, I remembered that after I posted.

I bought my Prius Prime plug-in from a NY dealer earlier this year and shipped it to myself in Colorado where I registered it and paid local taxes. I collected the discount Toyota was offering at the time in NY, and the Colorado tax credit, and the federal tax credit.

Ohh... and the dealership discounted the car about $1000 off msrp

It would be short-sighed and unfortunate if NYS requires a purchase at an in-state dealership to be eligible for the state tax credit.

Addendum:
I googled the NYS credit a little and found this
http://nyserda-site.force.com/CORE_CONAPP_CompanyInformation_Page?ApplicationId=a0kt0000000fOjLAAU
My reading is that the dealership has to register with NYSERDA and follow their rules but I don't see any requirement to be located in NYS.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Follow the links to the implementation manual and on page 5, dealer eligibility, it requires that they operate within NY state.

Good eye then!
I still cannot find it, but I'll take your word for it.

If you can post a sentence I can find it by search

GetOffYourGas said:
FWIW, as a NYS tax payer I agree with this policy.
Perhaps you are not considering the likely unintended (by the state anyway) side effect: a big hunk of the rebate goes to the dealership instead of the customer. If you doubt me, just look at the dealership prices in NYS compared to neighbors without similar credit.

There will always be unintended consequences. This one is not terrible. If the customer effectively gets $1500 off and the dealer pockets $500, compared to $1000 off in neighboring states, it's simply sharing the benefit. A savvy shopper will be aware of the credit and make sure (s)he gets its full benefits.

dgpcolorado said:
GetOffYourGas said:
FWIW, as a NYS tax payer I agree with this policy.
Why? Isn't the purpose of the rebate to get more EVs on the road? Just curious.

Simply put, it keeps the money local. In addition to getting more EVs on the road, it supports jobs within the state. That also makes the law more politically palatable, which probably made it easier to pass (and hence able to help get more EVs on the road).

Well, I went and did it...
I actually was deciding to not spend so much and started to sign up for the 2018 Leaf pre-order...
Got all registered and went to the configuration page..

Now, I have a 120 mile round trip commute, so the 150 was probably OK, but close.. (especially in winter, etc)..
So I go thru the Nissan config pages. I choose the base model.
I add QC (that's a requirement for me) and then I add the cold weather package to get the hybrid heater, which I consider a requirement with my range in the winter...
Man, those upgrades are expensive from Nissan..
Look at the final price.. and start to go.. Hey, wasn't that within $2000 of what the Chevy dealer was offering me for an LT with discounts?
True, the LT didn't have the heated seats and steering wheel, but with the extra range, I can run the heater more without worrying..

I go check.. Yep.. The add-ons from Nissan are pretty spendy. If I was OK with a base 2018 without QC and hybrid heater, I could save a bunch, but with those added.. Not so much of a difference anymore..

So I go back to our Chevy dealer to check..
Funny thing, they had a red Bolt LT on the lot with QC and heated seats/steering wheel, for not much more..
So a little discussion later, and we're signing papers and I'm driving home with that Bolt.

Now, I loved my 2012 Leaf. Went into it knowing its issues and have zero complaints. I will miss that car. ;-)

Just that I told my wife that when I could afford a car that can get me to work and back on a charge, I'd look at moving from my Leaf.
(I did have someone offer me their Model 3 slot, but that's still a ways out and I don't like sedans.. It's a great car, just not for me.)
I knew the Bolt would do what I needed, but wanted to wait for Nissan. Have to admit I was disappointed in the 150 for the 2018 Nissan Leaf.
Now, I actually think it might be the correct decision on their part; time will tell (I think they will need to drop the price a bit more tho..) Just not a slam dunk for me.. A 200 mile 2018 Leaf, I probably would have waited to drive and probably bought.. That's just me..

That said, the Bolt looks/drives great so far (from the dealer to here, so not much experience.. ;-).

desiv

desiv said:
I actually was deciding to not spend so much and started to sign up for the 2018 Leaf pre-order...
Got all registered and went to the configuration page..

Now, I have a 120 mile round trip commute, so the 150 was probably OK, but close.. (especially in winter, etc)..
So I go thru the Nissan config pages. I choose the base model.
I add QC (that's a requirement for me) and then I add the cold weather package to get the hybrid heater, which I consider a requirement with my range in the winter...
Man, those upgrades are expensive from Nissan..
Look at the final price.. and start to go.. Hey, wasn't that within $2000 of what the Chevy dealer was offering me for an LT with discounts?
True, the LT didn't have the heated seats and steering wheel, but with the extra range, I can run the heater more without worrying..

I go check.. Yep.. The add-ons from Nissan are pretty spendy. If I was OK with a base 2018 without QC and hybrid heater, I could save a bunch, but with those added.. Not so much of a difference anymore..

So I go back to our Chevy dealer to check..
Funny thing, they had a red Bolt LT on the lot with QC and heated seats/steering wheel, for not much more..
So a little discussion later, and we're signing papers and I'm driving home with that Bolt.

Now, I loved my 2012 Leaf. Went into it knowing its issues and have zero complaints. I will miss that car. ;-)

Just that I told my wife that when I could afford a car that can get me to work and back on a charge, I'd look at moving from my Leaf.
(I did have someone offer me their Model 3 slot, but that's still a ways out and I don't like sedans.. It's a great car, just not for me.)
I knew the Bolt would do what I needed, but wanted to wait for Nissan. Have to admit I was disappointed in the 150 for the 2018 Nissan Leaf.
Now, I actually think it might be the correct decision on their part; time will tell (I think they will need to drop the price a bit more tho..) Just not a slam dunk for me.. A 200 mile 2018 Leaf, I probably would have waited to drive and probably bought.. That's just me..

That said, the Bolt looks/drives great so far (from the dealer to here, so not much experience.. ;-).

desiv
Congrats man! Another huge plus is that you won't have near the battery degradation or even need to worry about it much.

desiv said:

desiv
Congrats, brother! Enjoy the range!

Back