Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DanCar said:
DanCar said:
edatoakrun said:
Is the Bolt revolutionary, in that Chevy is trying to get buyers to pay almost $50,000 for an econobox?
Clean air for my lungs are worth the $30K, plus the myriad of other advantages of an electric car:
Acceleration, no vibration, time saving not visiting a gas station, quiet, low maintenance, car pool lane access, and low fuel costs.
Bolt 0-60 time of 6.5 seconds is faster than 90% of the cars on the road. Twice as fast as some econoboxes. Faster than Honda accord sport. And probably faster then a lot of other "sport" cars.

don't know if there is a more useless statistic....

C&D likes the Bolt. I think it is the 1st EV apart from Tesla that got a positive C&D review.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-test-review

Valdemar said:
C&D likes the Bolt. I think it is the 1st EV apart from Tesla that got a positive C&D review.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-test-review
I wish they'd mentioned the temperature on this drive...

...in our most recent rendezvous with the Bolt, we performed a real-world range test that mimics a long highway road trip.
With the cruise control set to 75 mph and the climate system set to 72 degrees, we drove the battery to exhaustion in 190 miles...

BTW, if they can go 190 miles @ a constant 75, they should be able to add 20 miles or more of range for each 5 mph below that in the same conditions. Tesla credits the S60 with 199 miles of range @ 72 deg. (no HVAC), and 219 @ 65 ditto, and the Bolt's a lot draggier than the Model S, so it should be capable of at least 210 and 230 respectively at those speeds. Seems like it will be an easy 2-2.5 hour cruise car, with reserves and allowances, and 3 hours in favorable conditions.

GRA said:
BTW, if they can go 190 miles @ a constant 75, they should be able to add 20 miles or more of range for each 5 mph below that in the same conditions...
I think you will get more accurate estimates using the Bolt's EPA range and the ranges reported from AVTA tests at constant speeds for other BEVs.

Coincidentally, your 20 miles or more of range for each 5 mph method matches my ~250-mile-at-60 mph estimate, but only if the Bolt is driven in at very warm temperatures, as might also have been the case for the C&D 190 miles @ a constant 75 (and perhaps actually driven a few mph slower than that, given the usual USA speedometer settings) report.

From my (long) post on p 82:

edatoakrun said:
...Using that same method (using Tesla S AVTA efficiency results) you could estimate the Bolt might get:

~250 miles at 60 mph constant level route at 33 C ambient.

~329 miles at 45 mph constant on a level route at 31C ambient.

Remember, the long ranges on these tests are a result of testing at fairly high temperatures.

In fact, since the aero disadvantage of the Bolt is proportionately larger at higher speeds, and ithat probably outweighs the lower weight and (probable) drivetrain efficiencies advantages the Bolt has over the Tesla (disproportionally greater at lower speed) so you might expect the Bolt to beat those results by a few miles at lower speeds, and it likely would come a few miles short of ~200 miles at 70 mph, under the same test conditions.

Bolt range will continue to drop off precipitously at speeds above 70, just as it does for any BEV.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18907&start=810

MT confirms (fairly conclusively, IMO) that a ~new Bolt pack has ~60kWh available capacity in this comparison article.
THE CHEVROLET BOLT AND TESLA MODEL S 60: RANGE, CHARGING — AND TRAVEL

...sitting with the heater blasting to develop a good appetite. After about 20 minutes—poof—the Bolt went silent. On its screen, a message desperately pleaded: “Out of Energy. Charge Vehicle Now!” Got your SOS. I plugged in.

The next morning, the Bolt had absorbed 68 kW-hrs of energy, the Tesla, 64.7. Is the Bolt’s charging that much less efficient? The battery is evidently bigger than claimed, with its stated 60-kW-hr size being merely its usable capacity ...
http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-tesla-model-s-60-range-charging-travel/

Two other articles:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-vs-2016-tesla-model-s-60/
http://www.motortrend.com/news/what-tesla-owners-think-about-chevrolet-bolt/

Everyone is enthused with the Bolt since it offers over 200 mile range. But this is a sub-compact car smaller than the Honda Fit.
It is just too small for me. I do not want a huge car like the Tesla S but I also do not want a tiny car. I am happy with a compact car but really no larger or smaller.

GlennD said:
Everyone is enthused with the Bolt since it offers over 200 mile range. But this is a sub-compact car smaller than the Honda Fit.
It is just too small for me. I do not want a huge car like the Tesla S but I also do not want a tiny car. I am happy with a compact car but really no larger or smaller.

Do you measure car from outside or from inside?
Leaf is a smaller size outside but above average inside.

GlennD said:

The Bolt is 4" longer, 3" wider, and 3" taller than a Honda Fit. It also has more interior passenger volume than a Model S.

Go check one out, it's not a tiny little thing.

GlennD said:

Um, the Bolt EV is ~2.5" WIDER and TALLER, and about 4" LONGER than the Honda Fit, on the outside. And the Bolt EV is bigger on the inside volume than the Tesla Model S.

So, you get your wish!

GlennD said:

I voiced the same concern but it would seem like everyone has the impression that there is not a significant difference in passenger space or utility. I can live with a 4 passenger car. In 6 years, I have only had 5 in the car twice which was my niece and two of her friends. Well she has graduated from college and works as a Nurse at the University of WA making twice the money I am so guessing the days of her and her friends needing a ride are just not gonna pop up that much any more :)

But real interested in what owner impressions will be when they finally hit the streets. As for me? Can't wait that long...

Maybe in three years when my current lease runs out the Bolt may be finally in wide circulation. I also put down my 1K for a Tesla 3 but I am not holding my breath. It might happen or Tesla may crash and burn.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GlennD said:

I voiced the same concern but it would seem like everyone has the impression that there is not a significant difference in passenger space or utility. I can live with a 4 passenger car. In 6 years, I have only had 5 in the car twice which was my niece and two of her friends. Well she has graduated from college and works as a Nurse at the University of WA making twice the money I am so guessing the days of her and her friends needing a ride are just not gonna pop up that much any more :)

But real interested in what owner impressions will be when they finally hit the streets. As for me? Can't wait that long...

The Bolt EV is LARGER than the Honda Fit. And its interior volume is greater than a Tesla Model S.

The Bolt EV is about 2.5" wider and taller, and about 4" longer than the Honda Fit.

Please stop repeating incorrect information.

Great article. Also featuring some of our very own forum members!
Looking forward to driving a Bolt soon but I doubt I'll switch out my Model 3 reservation. as a result. We'll see.
Still, glad to see another car manufacturer staying within 1-5 years of Tesla.
Great accel, check. 200+ mile range, check. OTA updates, check.

Supercharger network?
Dealer network that wants to sell an EV?
Looks like a car that should cost $40k not $15k?
Level 2-5 autonomy?
AWD?

MTNRanger said:
My article on Insideevs.com regarding the Bolt's interior space:

http://insideevs.com/a-closer-look-at-the-bolt-ev-detailed-gallery/
Nice article and photos, thanks. I'm glad to see that they have a false floor to bring the cargo floor and folded seat backs nearly flush. The remaining angle is no worse than in my Forester, and would be acceptable for sleeping. Having tried the space in the Soul EV, which is an inch shorter than the Bolt, I expect that there'll be more than enough length with the seats slid forward to handle my 6' self laying stretched out with my head on the center armrest. The only possible downside is that there appears to be no center headrest for the rear seat, which I normally remove, reverse and re-insert to provide back support in my car - otherwise your shoulders are unsupported. It's handleable by stuffing gear under you in that area, but it's a lot quicker and easier to just use the headrest.

I like the HVAC controls as well - I'm very glad GM learned from the Volt 1 that actual physical controls operable by feel are best for this task, not touch screens that require looking away from the road. I'm more and more impressed with the Bolt, and look forward to checking one out in person. Now, all they need to do is find space for a spare and AWD, and make sure there are CCS QCs where I need them. A hitch rack for bikes would be nice too, but I could live without it.

Back