Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
Now, all they need to do is find space for a spare and AWD, and make sure there are CCS QCs where I need them.
Providing a spare, or space for one, increasingly seems to be a thing of the past in passenger cars. After the included roadside service expires, I guess there's always AAA Plus, or maybe the Honk smartphone app. Not having a spare ourselves, in any of our cars, we sort of take our chances when visiting remote areas. I carry a full-size bicycle tire pump on trips, though, since a large fraction of flat tires involve leaks as opposed to gashes or blowouts. Using some muscle power, it's often possible to keep enough air in a tire to reach a reasonable service station.

AWD would be nice, but I wouldn't count on GM to add this anytime soon. Maybe eventually, if they release an all-electric CUV.

CCS QCs will come, at least in California and judging by http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/alternative_fuel_corridors/maps/ The problem for High Sierra visitors is that there are no apparent plans to install QCs along US 395, so one would be forced to rely on quick chargers on the west side of the Sierra Nevada range, along CA 99, and maybe L2 on the east side. The presence of Superchargers along US 395 (and elsewhere) was a big selling point to us in deciding to buy a used Model S.

In general, I hope the Bolt does well and brings many more people to electric driving. I just wish GM would stop actively lobbying against Tesla's direct sales model; because of this, we personally are disinclined to consider any GM product.

abasile said:
GRA said:
Now, all they need to do is find space for a spare and AWD, and make sure there are CCS QCs where I need them.
Providing a spare, or space for one, increasingly seems to be a thing of the past in passenger cars. After the included roadside service expires, I guess there's always AAA Plus, or maybe the Honk smartphone app. Not having a spare ourselves, in any of our cars, we sort of take our chances when visiting remote areas. I carry a full-size bicycle tire pump on trips, though, since a large fraction of flat tires involve leaks as opposed to gashes or blowouts. Using some muscle power, it's often possible to keep enough air in a tire to reach a reasonable service station.
I always have a pump with me for the reason you state, but am unwilling to rely on it given that I may be many miles from a paved road with no cell service or landlines. Even if I can call someone, the wait would often be several hours, and in some cases, tow trucks/flatbeds simply won't come to me/can't get to me, or charge exorbitant amounts to do so (I have 200 mile towing via AAA Premier membership, but I'm not sure they would cover such far off-pavement excursions). Besides, I simply lack the patience to sit around twiddling my thumbs and have my trip delayed for several hours at a minimum. And Murphy's Law pretty much guarantees that if you need a tire replaced in some out-of-the-way town, they won't have your size in stock, requiring it to be shipped there and pushing the delay to a day or more.

So for me, a spare is an absolute requirement on trips (I also carry about a 2' long piece of 2" x 12" to provide a firmer jack base on soft ground), and a full-size one at that - I've never had nor have any desire to have to swap front to rear if I've got to use chains, as the chains need to be on the steering wheels. The person who casually wrote about doing that swap in the owner's manual has presumably never had to remove and replace one tire in cold, muddy, snowy conditions, let alone two.

Once of the reasons I opted for the Forester over the over options (including two other Subaru wagons) was that it came with a full-size spare in a well. In my previous Subaru wagon, the compact spare was carried under the hood on top of the engine, and when I took trips I'd remove that and carry a full-size spare (purchased separately) in the cargo area. While the latter's doable it's a pain, taking up space and needing tie-down points to keep it in place in a crash, which AFAICT the Bolt lacks.

abasile said:
AWD would be nice, but I wouldn't count on GM to add this anytime soon. Maybe eventually, if they release an all-electric CUV.
They've certainly dragged their feet to this point despite numerous requests for a Voltec-powered CUV, but with CUVs now constituting the largest share of the market pretty much world-wide, I expect they'll do it at some point, and if they don't there's Model Y.

abasile said:
CCS QCs will come, at least in California and judging by http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/alternative_fuel_corridors/maps/ The problem for High Sierra visitors is that there are no apparent plans to install QCs along US 395, so one would be forced to rely on quick chargers on the west side of the Sierra Nevada range, along CA 99, and maybe L2 on the east side. The presence of Superchargers along US 395 (and elsewhere) was a big selling point to us in deciding to buy a used Model S.
Yeah, CCS is doing pretty well along 99, but 395 and trans-Sierra roads other than 80/50 won't come along until the second or third tranche, and I simply won't buy a car that doesn't have the capabilities AND infrastructure I need.

OTOH, if the QCs don't appear, I've also sent my suggestions for needed locations along 395 and other roads serving Yosemite/Sequoia-Kings Canyon/Lassen/Death Valley/Joshua Tree etc. to the legislative liaison for CAFCP after meeting him at National Hydrogen and Fuel Cell day last month, and he forwarded them on to the appropriate parties, for whatever that's worth. As a practical matter, an FCEV meets my needs better than a BEV does, so it's just a question of waiting until one or both come good, although I'm not expecting it until 2020 or later.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Doesn't it come with run flat tires? Not good enough? Rare to get a flat nowadays.
Run flats tend to be susceptible to sidewall damage, which pretty much requires tire replacement. Had a couple of friends of mine get a flat in their BMW a few years back, and they spent most of that day and IIRR part of the next waiting for a replacement to arrive. IIRR, they were up around Lake Isabella on S.R. 178 at the time. There are numerous accounts of run-flats failing, and that's on pavement, not the dirt roads I'm often on. See http://www.edmunds.com/driving-tips/run-flat-tires-a-primer.html for a discussion of the pros and cons.

Another very positive review of the Bolt, this time from KBB via Forbes:
2017 Chevrolet Bolt: Two Experts Drive, And Like, The New EV
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kelleybluebook/2016/10/27/2017-chevrolet-bolt-two-experts-drive-and-like-the-new-ev/#5728fb37479a

The Bolt’s appeal doesn’t come from its status as an electric vehicle. The Bolt’s appeal comes from its status as an excellent car. The electric drivetrain, with a 238-mile range for less than $40,000, is just a cool bonus. — Karl Brauer, Executive Publisher, Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book

The article at IEVS also contains excerpts:
Kelley Blue Book Chevrolet Bolt Test Drive: “Surprisingly Roomy, Downright Quick And Without Compromise”
http://insideevs.com/kelley-blue-book-chevrolet-bolt-test-drive-surprisingly-roomy-downright-quick-and-without-compromise/

MTNRanger said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
MTNRanger said:
My article on Insideevs.com regarding the Bolt's interior space:

http://insideevs.com/a-closer-look-at-the-bolt-ev-detailed-gallery/

do you have a LEAF?

if so, compare them

No Leaf to compare, my signature has my info.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Doesn't it come with run flat tires? Not good enough? Rare to get a flat nowadays.

It comes with a new type of self-sealing tires made by Michelin.

what are you driving now? I am fairly familiar with the Volt although not so much the back seat. how does that add up?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Given GM's participation in lobbying for dumping emissions rules, I'll have to rule the Bolt out, and until Model 3 arrives, go with a new Leaf, Kia, or Hyundai.

My thoughts exactly. I had been pondering a Bolt, but if they're going to pull that nonsense, I won't consider them any longer. It would have been a tough sell for my wife anyhow, she hates GM products.

I remember when "Car Of The Year" meant "American or American partnership-built, mediocre design (or stolen design, in the case of the X-Car) and lousy build quality." I haven't followed MT for many years, though. I'm talking about the Eighties, and the X-Car (copied from the Accord, minus Japanese quality), K-Car, Renault-AMC Alliance, etc.

IMO, the Bolt has its problems (excessive cost, weight) but it still doesn't belong on MTs crap list...

Car of the Year listing

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV
2016 Chevrolet Camaro
2015 Volkswagen Golf line-up[15]
2014 Cadillac CTS
2013 Tesla Model S
2012 Volkswagen Passat
2011 Chevrolet Volt[16]
2010 Ford Fusion[17]
2009 Nissan GT-R
2008 Cadillac CTS
2007 Toyota Camry
2006 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler 300
2004 Toyota Prius
2003 Infiniti G35
2002 Ford Thunderbird
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
2000 Lincoln LS
1999 Chrysler 300M
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
1997 Chevrolet Malibu
1996 Dodge Caravan
1995 Chrysler Cirrus
1994 Ford Mustang
1993 Ford Probe GT
1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
1988 Pontiac Grand Prix
1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1986 Ford Taurus LX
1985 Volkswagen GTI (eligible due to it being built in VW's now-defunct Pennsylvania plant)
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1983 AMC / Renault Alliance
1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant
1980 Chevrolet Citation
1979 Buick Riviera S
1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon
1977 Chevrolet Caprice
1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare
1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2
1974 Ford Mustang II
1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1972 Citroën SM (an imported vehicle that was selected overall "Car of the Year")
1971 Chevrolet Vega
1970 Ford Torino
1969 Plymouth Road Runner
1968 Pontiac GTO
1967 Mercury Cougar
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado
1965 Pontiac Motor Division
1964 Ford Motor Company (not for the Mustang)
1963 American Motors (AMC) Rambler (all models: American, Classic, and Ambassador)
1962 Buick Special
1961 Pontiac Tempest
1960 Chevrolet Corvair
1959 Pontiac Motor Division
1958 Ford Thunderbird
1957 Chrysler Corporation (all makes: Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler, and Imperial)
1956 Ford Motor Company
1955 Chevrolet Motor Division
1954 No award
1953 No award
1952 Cadillac Motor Division
1951 Chrysler Corporation
1950 No award
1949 Cadillac Motor Division
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Trend_Car_of_the_Year

Also GCR's Best Car to Buy 2017: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106584_chevrolet-bolt-ev-green-car-reports-best-car-to-buy-2017

IMO, it and the Prius Prime should have been co-winners, as I suspect it will be both of them together that move PEVs into the mainstream.

Also, from ABG:
Your invitation to electric drive | 2017 Chevy Bolt EV First Drive
This could be the one.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/15/2017-chevy-bolt-ev-first-drive-review/

. . . There are a few other cool tricks up the Bolt's zero-emission sleeve. Perhaps the smartest item that will be overlooked is the ability for the charging system to know your elevation. Why is this valuable? Well, if you tell it where "home" is, and the nav system knows that you usually leave your driveway and turn downhill for a ways when you start your drive in the morning, the charger will not fill up the battery all the way to 100 percent at night. Because if it did, you'd be able to generate some energy from that downhill segment but not have anywhere to put it. By leaving a little space in the pack – and thus demanding less energy from the grid - the Bolt can make maximum use of whatever energy it can find. . . .

News on both Bolt and Gen 2 LEAF.

Sure would be nice to know the the definitions of limited, and soon..

General Motors Co.’s first long-range electric car won’t be made widely available for several months, with the auto maker planning to sell the Chevrolet Bolt in California and Oregon in coming weeks to meet its commitment to put it on sale in 2016.

GM has said its $30,000 Bolt will be on sale in the 2016 calendar year, a target that qualifies the car for certain product awards and allows the company to say its car hits the market well in advance of a rival product being developed by Tesla Motors Inc. GM spokeswoman Michelle Malcho said Thursday the car is expected to meet high interest, but will be offered in limited quantities in 2017...

Nissan Motor Co.’s Michael Bunce, speaking during an interview Wednesday, said the Japanese auto maker is revamping its Leaf electric car and will show off a new version soon. He said the vehicle will have battery-range upgrades and a revised design...
http://www.wsj.com/articles/gms-chevy-bolt-ev-not-widely-available-until-spring-1479413234

"will show off a new version soon" isn't likely to cut it. And if the Bolt isn't widely available before the Federal tax credit gets killed, then GM will have egg on its face as well.

Back