Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes -- it's a $100 surcharge if the IL SOS sees that the powertrain is electric - regular ICE plates are $151 (no vanity or special series ones) - one thing that folks who transfer 'normal' non EV specific plates think is that they'll escape the EV fee surcharge but it will catch up when it gets renewed - sometimes we've even heard that if they renew regular plates before a plate transfer to an EV they may even send them another 'bill' for the EV aspect but just hearsay at this (but I wouldn't be surprised) -- other states are starting to add surcharges for EV's even though they still make up a small percentage of car registrations -- easy targets unfortunately. Here is what TX has done:

https://insideevs.com/news/668143/t...g Abbott signed,a year to renew registration.

Looks like the IL EV rebate program got some more funding!

As before it's $4,000 on new and used EV's - new applications open October 18 and the funding cycle is November 1 to January 31.

Nice incentive for IL residents thinking about a new or used EV - especially those with limited purchasing means (as before lower income applicants receive funding priority).

More details can be found on this link -

https://epa.illinois.gov/topics/ceja/electric-vehicle-rebates.html

Great article on the IL EV rebate program stats - based on how many I've seen on the road the 'take' rate must be a bit lower to use non-EL vanity, special and regular plates as IL is close to 80K registered EV's now (recently saw 798xx EL for instance). In any case highest number awarded (no surprise) went to Tesla's ... Nissan wasn't even mentioned. For those on a budget and getting a used EV the $4K could come in handy.

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/a...c vehicle rebate,long as funds are available.

redLEAF said:
Looks like the IL EV rebate program got some more funding!

As before it's $4,000 on new and used EV's - new applications open October 18 and the funding cycle is November 1 to January 31.

Nice incentive for IL residents thinking about a new or used EV - especially those with limited purchasing means (as before lower income applicants receive funding priority).

More details can be found on this link -

https://epa.illinois.gov/topics/ceja/electric-vehicle-rebates.html

Yesterday was the first day to mail in your IL EPA rebate form - for those who can participate be sure to get your application in - the interesting caveat here is the 90-day max time line from taking delivery of your new or used EV - - it translates to those who took delivery August 3rd or later this year and of course increasing daily from there. The state has about $12M in funds for this which may sound like a lot but translates to only 3,000 rebates. Based on general observations of how many new EL plates I'm seeing that will only last about 3 or 4 weeks max before funds run out.

The highest EL plate I've seen now is 825xx EL - which is about 3K more since last reported in September. What the IL SOS recently did on this style plate is a bit interesting as well - perhaps in anticipation of many more EV's being registered but they changed the number font to something a bit more narrow and smaller, so more numbers can be on it as well as changed the 'EL' so it's no longer raised but simply painted on as well as slightly smaller. The 100K EV mark will probably be here sooner than later as just in general seeing more and more EV's around which is a good thing. Downstate IL just got Tesla 'magicdock' Superchargers and with all the mfg's jumping on the NCAS bandwagon charging your EV on the road should continue to get better. It's still pretty much no contest comparing Tesla with just about any other fast charger system - key will be how painless the non-Tesla pay system works -- haven't had the need to try an SC for our BMW but my smart phone Tesla app makes it look pretty easy.

Anyone else out there with a multiple EV's use it yet?

In light of all the news on the winter challenges here in Chicagoland as well as other cold areas of the country heard an update of the number of registered EV's in IL -- IL SOS now reports over 91K ! - that's over 10K more in about 4 months. The EL plate sightings have gone up to over 87xxx EL but again remember you can now transfer regular, vanity, etc. so no longer just EL series being used.

Out of Sprc recently came through Skokie to report on the charing situation. The ride share lines at the evgo stations I have seen in the city too. I had not realized how much ride share was jamming the stalls.

Another update to EV counts in IL -- came across this site from the IL SOS on a running total of all EV's registered in the state -- besides the fact that it's now 93,821 as of 1/15 -- it was only 8,255 back in 12/2017 -- decent growth and of course pretty good for the Midwest -- I'm sure we'll cross the 100K mark soon despite the concerns over winter charging, etc. The now point-of-sale Fed Tax credit should stimulate more interest I'm sure

IL EV counts

Quick update on most recent IL EL plate sightings -- just saw 898xx EL on an Ultra Red Tesla Model X and well as 2 sightings of the refreshed Model 3 (still with temp tags) - one in Stealth Gray the other in Black - the 100K EL plate mark should still be coming soon but again seems more people are opting to simply transfer their existing 'standard' IL plate or Vanity/Special plates - a Route 66 plate was the most recent sighting on another Tesla.

Back