Clarification on Federal Tax incentive on charging equipment

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafinThePark

Did a quick search and it appears the 30% consumer tax credit expires at the end of the year. Is this correct? Does this mean that those of us still waiting to order should look at purchasing our EVSE this calender year even if we may not need them for months? Anyone know?

I bought, installed, and "put into service" my EVSE this year for that very reason, even though I'm not due to actually take delivery of an EV until next year

Any recommendations? The only system I have seen in person is the Clipper Creek...seemed like a good unit that I could install myself easily for $995. What else would be comparable to consider?

This is the Wiki page with links to manufacturers and threads about EVSEs: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battery,_Charging_System#Charging_System" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

And then there is the AMT question - http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeafinThePark said:
Any recommendations? The only system I have seen in person is the Clipper Creek...seemed like a good unit that I could install myself easily for $995. What else would be comparable to consider?

Convert your existing Nissan unit at evseupgrade for under $300 and your will still be ahead. You could likely even get the rebate if you have it before the end of the year. If not is is trill less than over $1000 less 30% and it is portable and only requires a 20A circuit.

EVDRIVER said:
Convert your existing Nissan unit at evseupgrade for under $300 and your will still be ahead. You could likely even get the rebate if you have it before the end of the year. If not is is trill less than over $1000 less 30% and it is portable and only requires a 20A circuit.

Since I don't have my Leaf yet (have yet to order) I unfortunately don't really have this option. I also may be in a position where I decide to wait for a MY2013 which possibly will have the 6.6kW charger...so I plan on getting a 25 or 30 AMP charging station.

LeafinThePark said:
I bought the Schneider unit from homedepot.com. I am very pleased as it works perfect.
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...NT_ID&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&langId=-1

Short summary/review can be found here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5842

I really believe these high EVSE prices aren't sustainable as products and volumes increase; in fact, many have raised their prices in the last few months which is just nuts. I recommend doing the Nissan EVSE 220v upgrade/mod and waiting until EVSE manufacturers come to their senses on pricing. For example, Leviton will eventually realize they can't charge more for a 16A charger than someone else charges for a 30A charger; the sample size of customers right now is just too small to flesh out details like this.

Another question (that probably has been answered definitively before) but seems appropriate to this post: if one spent (say $1000) upgrading one's service (100a to 200a service) in 2011 in (necessary) preparation for the free EV Project Blink EVSE, will the 30% 2011 Federal Tax incentive apply (for a Tax credit of $300 in this example)?

ALL directly related costs are deductible up to the limits.

New main panel, wire, conduit, labor, paint, drywall, permit, evse are all good. It does need to be working even if not used. I don't think you can upgrade the main panel this year and deduct but buy the evse and connect next year.

Stanton said:
I really believe these high EVSE prices aren't sustainable as products and volumes increase; in fact, many have raised their prices in the last few months which is just nuts. I recommend doing the Nissan EVSE 220v upgrade/mod and waiting until EVSE manufacturers come to their senses on pricing. For example, Leviton will eventually realize they can't charge more for a 16A charger than someone else charges for a 30A charger; the sample size of customers right now is just too small to flesh out details like this.

Maybe there is something I am not getting, but I do not think the EVSE upgrade is an option for those of us that have not had the opportunity to order our Leaf.

LeafinThePark said:
Maybe there is something I am not getting, but I do not think the EVSE upgrade is an option for those of us that have not had the opportunity to order our Leaf.
It isn't now, but for some it might be a matter of spending $1200-$1500 (or more) on a wall mount EVSE plus electric work then taking the tax break vs. paying straight up for the $300 upgrade later. Personally, I'd want the separate EVSE, 'cause I want the portable in my car, and I don't want to haul it in and out all the time, but others obviously feel differently.

LeafinThePark said:
You cannot upgrade the evse that you do not yet have.

However unless you have a big commute (50+ miles RT) each day the included 120v L1 should work fine until you decide what you need or want. I went 5 months on the OEM L1 waiting for better options. The only urgency is if you want the tax deduction this year. I would assume the upgrade would not qualify for a deduction. A separate evse needs to be purchased and installed.

LeafinThePark said:
It's an option, just not a very good one anymore. You can buy a complete upgraded unit for about 1000 from EVSEupgrade.com, or find the stock unit on the likes of parts.com for about 700 then have it upgraded. This used to make more sense (and is what I did in order to have one upgraded unit in my garage and one I carry with me), but unfortunately Nissan jacked up the price on the EVSE about 200 a few months ago.

That said, you could conceivably buy a complete upgraded unit for 1000, take the 30% credit, then sell the stock EVSE when you get your car next year. If you can manage to get 700 for it you'd effectively have a free EVSE! However, I think most like the idea of keeping a unit in the car, and you mentioned the possibility of waiting for a MY13, so the absolute best deal right now is one of the AV units that this guy sells on ebay, followed by the Schneider. I don't see any up on ebay now, but usually he puts a couple up every few days (unless his supply ran out, anyone know?)

LeafinThePark said:
It was for me. I purchased my EVSE upgrade from Phil before the recent price increase. The one that comes with the car, when I get it, I will just leave unaltered for now.

I agree that it doesn't make sense to buy an additional upgraded Nissan EVSE at the new higher price, given that there are so many other choices at the same or lower prices.

Back