Climate Control Solution - Gain Control of your Heater!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed an odd effect after I put my upgraded unit in. On a hot day in Auto A/C mode, the fresh air will kick in even if it is hotter outside than in the car. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen. Don't remember if it did that before the eupgrade.

rawhog said:
I noticed an odd effect after I put my upgraded unit in. On a hot day in Auto A/C mode, the fresh air will kick in even if it is hotter outside than in the car. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen. Don't remember if it did that before the eupgrade.
If the unit is in Auto, all modifications are 100% disabled. So any effect you see is it's own built-in wierdness.

The only thing the upgrade does is inhibit the resistance heater when engaged (A/C off, Rear Def off, and Remote off).

-Phil

TonyWilliams said:
It looks like Nissan put you out of business on this product for 2013.
And most likely EVSE Upgrades too. I think the new EVSE design looks like it is not a Panasonic, but a Yazaki Infra design, similar to what is used on the Ford Focus Electric. If this is true, the unit is glued shut, and thus not upgradeable.

Still, there's a LOT of Leaf's out there right now that need fixing, and I bet there will be a whole slew of new issues for the 2013's. All need LEAFSCAN™!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
TonyWilliams said:
And most likely EVSE Upgrades too. I think the new EVSE design looks like it is not a Panasonic, but a Yazaki Infra design, similar to what is used on the Ford Focus Electric. If this is true, the unit is glued shut, and thus not upgradeable.

Still, there's a LOT of Leaf's out there right now that need fixing, and I bet there will be a whole slew of new issues for the 2013's. All need LEAFSCAN™!

-Phil

J-1772 is still the same right? still take the old panasonic and upgrade it and sell it to 2013 lessees. granted will be more expensive but still cheaper than installing a charging station in the home for a large percentage of people. allow

better question; say if someone leasing a 2011/2012 has the EVSE upgrade and they lease a 2013+...can they give back the newer trickle cord and keep their EVSE upgrade for the 2013 or is the charging protocols changed to prevent that?

if Nissan allows that. use the exchanged 2013 cord as partial payment for the upgrade them sell them to people who are returning their leases

guessing the questions is too soon to know for sure but seems to me the car does not know one plug from the other correct?

DaveinOlyWA said:
J-1772 is still the same right? still take the old panasonic and upgrade it and sell it to 2013 lessees. granted will be more expensive but still cheaper than installing a charging station in the home for a large percentage of people.
It's looking like they are discontinuing the original Panasonic "big brick" EVSE. There simply will be no more to purchase.

DaveinOlyWA said:
seems to me the car does not know one plug from the other correct?
Largely correct. The whole impetus for a standard in the first place is interoperability. However, not everyone complied with the standard fully, or were very "interpretive". On J1772, The car can sense the voltage and pilot. On CHAdeMO, there are ID codes, but not on J1772.

-Phil

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ingineer said:
TonyWilliams said:

-Phil

J-1772 is still the same right? still take the old panasonic and upgrade it and sell it to 2013 lessees. granted will be more expensive but still cheaper than installing a charging station in the home for a large percentage of people. allow

better question; say if someone leasing a 2011/2012 has the EVSE upgrade and they lease a 2013+...can they give back the newer trickle cord and keep their EVSE upgrade for the 2013 or is the charging protocols changed to prevent that?

if Nissan allows that. use the exchanged 2013 cord as partial payment for the upgrade them sell them to people who are returning their leases

guessing the questions is too soon to know for sure but seems to me the car does not know one plug from the other correct?
You are assuming that Nissan keeps selling the old Panasonic EVSE. I expect that they will discontinue it and only sell the new wimpy one.

DoxyLover said:
You are assuming that Nissan keeps selling the old Panasonic EVSE. I expect that they will discontinue it and only sell the new wimpy one.
+1

I think it's nearly certain that we will see the smaller and less capable portable EVSE in the US as well.

ya I guess as long as the "mini" brick works to provide 120 volt charging, Nissan wil not have to continue the build on the older ones.

gee Phil, wondering how many unmodified 120 big bricks are out there that someone might want to sell for a decent price? take them; mod them and then sell those?

surfingslovak said:
DoxyLover said:
+1

I think it's nearly certain that we will see the smaller and less capable portable EVSE in the US as well.
Holy guacamole! I've got a collectable - two, actually. :eek:

^^With 15,000 or so LEAFs in the USA, that's a lot of old Panasonic EVSEs floating around. Perhaps a secondary market will develop for those who want a robust 240V/16A portable EVSE at a reasonable price. Phil's cottage industry could continue for some time to come.

Even if I bought a new model LEAF my current upgraded EVSE would remain as my home unit until it dies. Not that I have any plans (or funds) to buy a new EV, given only 7000 miles on my current LEAF.
ebill3 said:
surfingslovak said:
DoxyLover said:
+1

Holy guacamole! I've got a collectable - two, actually. :eek:
So do I, one upgraded one not.

UPDATE DECEMBER 1st: Yes, we have units in-stock, but there is high demand right now due to the colder weather and the large number of new Leafs being sold. Contact us to order your unit and to find out if there is any wait time.

-Phil

Just got and installed my climate control upgrade from EVSE. It is everything promised! Installation was very straightforward; I followed the excellent and thorough video, and it works. Took me a little over 10 minutes from pulling the center panel to clicking it back in place. Would have taken much less if the quick disconnect connectors were easier to see and manipulate with my leading-edge Baby Boomer eyes and fingers. Great kit, quick turnaround from Berkeley to Ohio, and did I mention, it just works.

aminorjourney said:
Have you shipped any of these abroad, Phil? Would the UK leafs have the same parts?
They are the same parts, but on Right hand drive, all the buttons are reversed, and we don't have any to perform a swap. If you wanted to purchase a spare (you could get every Leaf owner that wanted this to pitch in) then send it to me, I'll perform the upgrade, send it back, then you can do another one, until everyone is done.

-Phil

Back