ClipperCreek and 2023 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kclements

Just took delivery of my 2023 Leaf SV+

There seems to be an issue with the delay timing function of the charging and ClipperCreek chargers. I talked with ClipperCreek support today and there seems to be an issue with the Leaf getting confused during the handshaking and carrier tone used by the ClipperCreek charger.

As I understand it, ClipperCreek sends a signal to the car to check if everything is ok for charging - that the posts aren't corrupted(?), and then sets that "tone" to zero (I am getting the terminology wrong, if someone corrects me, I am happy to update). the Leaf sees this setting to zero as having just received a plug, so it activates the handshake protocol again. This causes a loop where the charger will signal, stop and wait for the timer, then signal, stop and wait for the charger. and so on.

The charger will charge the Leaf without issue, Just the delay timer function is causing issues. According to ClipperCreek the fix is in Nissan's hands - they have seen this with some Tesla's and Jeeps. Something about adjusting the timing that the car uses to handshake with the charger.

So, if you have a 2023 on order and use a ClipperCreek charger, be advised.

Is it all Clipper Creek models or certain ones?

I'm guessing they're talking about pilot signal (https://openev.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000052074-basics-of-sae-j1772).

This was an issue many years ago (I personally experienced it with a refurbished CC station, and they fixed it, free) but it was resolved. This is the first I've heard of it in at least 5 years.

cwerdna said:
Is it all Clipper Creek models or certain ones?

I'm guessing they're talking about pilot signal (https://openev.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000052074-basics-of-sae-j1772).

Yes, he was talking about the pilot signal. Thanks for the clarification.

I don't know about all units, but my guess is yes, if they all use the same pilot signal. Something about how the Leaf responds to that signal.

Kayle

LeftieBiker said:
This was an issue many years ago (I personally experienced it with a refurbished CC station, and they fixed it, free) but it was resolved. This is the first I've heard of it in at least 5 years.

Yeah, this unit has been trouble free since I purchased it in 2013. It appears it is something on Nissan's end with either a bug or a change in thier code. At least that's ClipperCreek's explanation.

Do you have charge timer(s) set in the new Leaf? If so, do you have it set up to use the charge timer(s) only at home (with home location programmed in navigation system). If yes to any of those questions, try completely disabling all charge timers. Then verify timers disabled and try charging with the Clipper Creek.

I found a glitch in the charge timer/navigation interface that caused charging to stop when doors were opened (with any EVSE) if charge timers were set for home on!y and car was being charged away from home (away from location programmed as home in navigation system). In my case, the fix was to make charge timers active regardless of location.

Original I had just the delay timer set - I had not yet set my home location in Nav. This is when I noticed the issue.

I all timers are turned off, it charges as normal, as soon as I plug in the charger. With both (or either) the delay and the Only charge at home set, I run into this issue.

I checked it at my dealer, who has both the ClipperCreek and the Nissan branded chargers. It works as expected (that is to say, no errors of on/off loops) with the Nissan branded, but the ClipperCreek unit does exactly what mine does with the power on and off loop.

I haven't yet tried to charge anywhere but home. I will give it a go next time I am away at a charger and see what happens. Right now, my settings are on for the delay timer and the Only Charge at home.

I just got my 2023 Leaf SV+ and I am experiencing this very issue with the ClipperCreek charger. The charger cannot be plugged in and idle, either when a timer is set or at the end of a charge cycle, as it keep cycling on/off.

I noticed that the last post was towards the end of 2022; has Nissan released a patch for this issue since then? I have checked the software version on my vehicle and it says it's up to date (v. 0354).

Has anybody found a different solution to this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Back