Condo with Alley Parking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmonster5

We will in a small condo building in Washington and I recently brought up to the association that we are interested in a LEAF and will need an EVSE. Others at the meeting also expressed interest in electric vehicles and asked that I get an estimate for charging two vehicles at a time.

We need help with the charging situation. I met with the electrician who can run electric from the main panel in the building to the parking spots but I am not sure about the following:

1. We would like a LEAF but the other parties have not decided on which car they will get, are the charging needs the same for all vehicles?

2. Our car is parked behind the building in an unsecured alley, is there a way to secure the EVSE?

3. Anything else I should be thinking about for our situation?

Thanks

Most recent (meaning anything that's currently on the market) freeway-capable electric cars sold in North America use the J1772 charging standard for L1 (120 volt) and L2 (240 volt). So it does not matter what brand of EV you get. The only exception are Teslas but there is an adapter available for them.

Where the difference is when you get to Quick Charging (sometimes called L3), but as these units are tens of thousands of dollars, your condo HOA is unlikely to purchase such a thing.

The 2013+ Leaf has a charging handle lock. For added security you can do something like run the cord through the padlock and secure it to the hook of the charging door.

One thing you may want to consider is if this is an area accessible to non-residents, how will you keep someone else from using your EVSE? Will this be a keyfob-style system like many public charging stations? Or will it be a simple home-style EVSE that is kept behind a locked cabinet?

I just got an email from an EV supplies dealer, saying they have a commercial station on sale for $1300 or so. That might have the features you need. Let me find it...

1. Like others said, everything uses the same AC charging (what you will be installing). Tesla's come from the "lot" with the adapter, so that's no problem. However, if someone is going to be buying a Tesla, you'll want to have it as high-amp as possible, all the way up to 80, if you can swing it. Otherwise, 30 amp is all you need, per car, for just about everything else.

2. If you're afraid of people parking there cars and "stealing" juice, eh... doesn't seem too likely to me. Maybe in 10 years when the streets are littered with them, but I don't see it happening now. I've had my EVSE open to the street for about 6 months now and I've never come home to someone parked in my driveway charging. haha. If you're worried about it being stolen, or something, if it's a commercial one, it'll be wired in pretty well. I've heard of people cutting off the cables for the copper, but that's probably not too likely. You'll probably get your car stripped and put on blocks before that happens.

3. Consider how multi-charging works. Are you going to install two EVSEs on two dedicated circuits? Just one unit with two plugs? Will that one switch between cars somehow, or split power to both?

Thanks everyone for clarifying point #1 and for being so helpful, all of this charging stuff is really new to me.

1) Regarding the "stealing" I am not concerned about folks "stealing" juice as we have dedicated parking spots that go right up to the building and park in front of it. That said, if someone really needs a charge they can "have at it." My big concern is the value of the EVSE and someone taking it and stealing the unit as it is just mounted to the wall. Lots of things get stolen in our neighborhood.

2) I do like the option that Leftiebiker suggested however I am not positive that the neighbors will follow-thru and get their car so I don't want to over-invest but I do want to keep the option open. The ideal situation would be to have one residential unit for me that could be secured in the alley and then add one for them IF they decide to get the car. That could be two separate units one we buy now and one we add later or a residential unit (not too expensive) with two plugs. Recommendations?

There are many types of outdoor wall mountable EVSEs out there:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=wall%20mount%20evse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If somebody wants to steal it I bet you no matter which one you get they will steal it.

I mounted my EVSE in my garage and the only thing that is outside is the cord and J1772 handle. Can you do something like that?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?147882-Bought-a-New-Car!&p=1916248&viewfull=1#post1916248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sal

Sometimes the simpliest solution may be the best. If money is an issue, a simple 240v external outlet may be the only thing needed. Much cheaper for the association. If it could be set up with 50amp plug you could then just purchase a Jesla or other "Portable" EVSE that you can use when home or on the road. That way you do not have an expensive EVSE mounted on the wall inviting others to use it. Also if you are not able to have your own meter for this outlet you could either estimate your usage or get your own meter for a few dollars.

There is no need to purchase an expensive EVSE that tracks cost or requires some type of rfid chip to work.

Clipper Creek makes two or three affordable L-2 outdoor chargers (the LCS series, lower amps) that are also small. Get one and build a 'lockbox' around it. The neighbors can always follow suit.

Graffi said:
Sometimes the simpliest solution may be the best. If money is an issue, a simple 240v external outlet may be the only thing needed. Much cheaper for the association. If it could be set up with 50amp plug you could then just purchase a Jesla or other "Portable" EVSE that you can use when home or on the road. That way you do not have an expensive EVSE mounted on the wall inviting others to use it. Also if you are not able to have your own meter for this outlet you could either estimate your usage or get your own meter for a few dollars.

There is no need to purchase an expensive EVSE that tracks cost or requires some type of rfid chip to work.

this is the best answer

the condo can provide the access to the power at a minimal cost and the car owner is responsible for getting the juice from the outlet to the car.

apvbguy said:
this is the best answer

the condo can provide the access to the power at a minimal cost and the car owner is responsible for getting the juice from the outlet to the car.

I 2nd this. I purchased a modified EVSE and I just install outlets (240 volt) everywhere I commonly go. Also the other nice thing about this is that you are carrying your EVSE, which means dryer and range outlets can be used (with an adapter). This comes in very handy when I go to visit friends who rent. I just unplug their dryer, plug in my adapter/EVSE and I'm all set.

The only small pain from this setup is having to take a minute everywhere you go to pull out the EVSE, plug it in, then plugging in the car. HOWEVER it would cost me a small fortune to install equipment at all these locations. Installing plugs is cheap and easy for me.

Edit:
97a6741e-92ee-46f0-9c01-8a63ff9c79ec_400.jpg

These are what I install in the places I commonly go.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pass-Seymour-Turnlok-20-Amp-Single-Locking-Outlet-Black-L620RCCV3/100168166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All the materials (outlet/box/conduit/wire/breaker) costs around 50 dollars. If you have to hire an electrician it'll be more however still MUCH cheaper than installing a permanent unit.

Oh! I do like the idea of the portable charger that sounds easy! It looks like it also has a place for a padlock so that sounds like a really good solution for me. How much should I expect to pay for a portable charger like Jesla? I Googled and saw $999 is that about right? Any specific recommendations of the best portable chargers?

From my LIMITED knowledge, I think the Jesla will be your best bet for "future profing" in case your next EV can take a faster charge. Otherwise I think the cheapest would be the Open EVSE, and you can even buy some already assembled.

Back