"Confronting Collapse" by Michael Ruppert (book and movie)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread makes for interesting reading; but I have to chuckle at some of these posts.

It reminds me of the writer in New York (around 1905, I believe), who predicted that the city would suffer a devastating collapse within 10 years due to the proliferation of horses on the streets and the resulting mounds of horse ****. The manure would breed germs, and people would die by the thousands from all kinds of pestilence and disease. :lol:

derkraut said:
It reminds me of the writer in New York (around 1905, I believe), who predicted that the city would suffer a devastating collapse within 10 years due to the proliferation of horses on the streets and the resulting mounds of horse ****. The manure would breed germs, and people would die by the thousands from all kinds of pestilence and disease. :lol:

Ofcourse the most well known population related collapse prediction is by Thomas Malthus (1766–1834).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malthusian_catastrophe

An August 2007 science review in The New York Times raised the claim that the Industrial Revolution had enabled the modern world to break out of the Malthusian Trap,[1] while a front page Wall Street Journal article in March 2008 pointed out various limited resources which may soon limit human population growth because of a widespread belief in the importance of prosperity for every individual and the rising consumption trends of large developing nations such as China and India.[2]

BTW, in case you guys haven't read already, I'd strongly suggest reading Jared Diamond's book. You will see historical examples of great civilizations collapsing because they chose to ignore resource depletion and embraced an unsustainable growth pattern.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed (also titled Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Survive) is a 2005 book by Jared M. Diamond, professor of geography and physiology at University of California, Los Angeles. Diamond's book deals with "societal collapses involving an environmental component, and in some cases also contributions of climate change, hostile neighbors, and trade partners, plus questions of societal responses" (p. 15). In writing the book Diamond intended that its readers should learn from history (p. 23).

200px-Collapse_book.jpg

I have read the book- it's fascinating one! Ruppert, the author, was mainly concerned about the future sustainability of modern society, everyone should read the book themselves! Although, I was too busy these past few days and I haven't watched the film yet but I won't miss it definitely!

Back