Consumer Reports Leaf Blog

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhmPah

Check out: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/11/driving-the-nissan-leaf-hurray-for-traffic-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Why would anyone **not** plug in their Leaf when they got home at night? Then she complains about the charge running out too quickly the next day. I posted the following comment, lets see if she approves it:

I own a Nissan Leaf. Like any new technology you have to think a bit differently about how you use it. It sounds as if you are still thinking about a Leaf as if it were a conventional car; refueling it at infrequent intervals. You should have charged up the Leaf every night. There are a number of points in your article that are not typical for a Leaf driver:

- We charge the car up every night. I have a schedule set up using the car's timer to charge the car to 80% or 100% based on the anticipated driving for the next day. Unless I had done little or no driving the day before, I automatically put the car on a charger at night.

- Nearly all Leaf owners have a charging station at home. This would have shortened your recharge time significantly. It would have been fully charged (or nearly so) after 5 hours on a dedicated charging station.

- Your wallet may have felt lighter after all of those tolls, but how much did you save in gas? I estimate that I would need to get 200 mpg to pay the same amount for gas in a conventional car that I do in my Leaf.

- The Leaf has a handy timer for the heater and air conditioning as well. When it gets cooler I set the timer (or use the web) to turn on the heater in the car. Then I get into a preheated car and I don't even turn the heater on for the remainder of my 15 mile commute.

To live with a leaf, it helps to think differently. Yes, there are range issues, but it really does not take much planning to minimize those.

Dave

The common thread among nearly every "review" I've read is the same -- people who evaluate ICE's for a living, going through the adjustment pangs that are inevitable for someone without EV experience. As OhmPah notes below, the paradigm of refueling changes (Keep The Damn Car Full when parking overnight at home), etc. If you don't want to deal with a charging timer, or the "hassle" of plugging the car in each night, then an EV might be a lousy choice.

Every review/blog seems to highlight what you might call "Rookie Moves", like failing to top up the battery (aka "opportunity charging"), inappropriate dependency on L1 charging, or over-reaching on range. I would never attempt a 90-mile round-trip without strong assurance of charging at the destination, and/or backup options (Nissan dealers) along the route, because in LA, I don't have the patience to go 55 on the freeways to maximize range. But reviewers often try range-testing routes with little understanding of the relationship between climate/speed/terrain and range -- then express Suprise! when they exceed the Leaf's capabilities.

The 'sanest' reviews are those from writers who: 1) spent more than a weekend with the car; and 2) had access to L2 charging. None of the reviews I've read that are based on L1 charging experience have been remotely relevant to my everyday use of the Leaf.

5700 miles in 7 months; never been below "6 miles" on the GOM.

EricH said:
5700 miles in 7 months; never been below "6 miles" on the GOM.

I've had mine for 8 months and have 6,000 miles on it. I have never seen less than 19 miles on the GOM, which means I probably had closer to 30 if I really wanted to push it.

I also agree it was stupid not to charge the car. I plug mine in every single time I pull it into the garage, even if it is just 15 minutes. After all, even 15 minutes on the L2 charger gives several additional miles range.

Granted, with my short daily commute, I could likely drive to work and home every day for an entire week, maybe 2, without ever re-charging. But that doesn't leave much extra range for unexpected trips. So it just makes sense to start out each morning with a full charge.

Lets think about this for a moment. If people had gas pumps in their garage, wouldn't most people still fill up much more regularly than they would if they had to stop at a gas station?

I left a comment that was a little on the condescending side, but still reiterated OhmPah's comments.

Many on the MNL are still learning about the effects of cold weather, but I did add some remarks about her complaints of freezing during her commute. To put it less diplomatically: If its cold outside and you don't plug in your LEAF overnight you're asking for trouble and if you live in New York & you didn't get the Cold Weather Package you should've forked out the $770 or keep your mouth shut about being cold while you drive.

With my typical round-trip work commute of about 20 miles (including 1 errand per day), I charge to 80% every other week day. Friday & Saturday nights I always charge it to 80%. I only charge it to 100% when I know I have something going on that next day, which is seldom.

I do this (charge every other day) for 2 reasons that may or may not be sound;
-I don't need the miles
-I'd like to think that less times charging up the batteries will somehow increase their longevity

I still haven't received my first electric bill for a full month's worth of Leaf charging. I'm curious to se what it is (I switched to TOU when I got the Leaf).

EricBayArea said:
I still haven't received my first electric bill for a full month's worth of Leaf charging. I'm curious to se what it is (I switched to TOU when I got the Leaf).

Just got my first and it came out to only $26.00. I love it, I was paying $150 in gas wth my ICE.

Two Leafs. 1000 miles per month per LEAF. $80 electric cost for both. For a combined 7000 miles of driving, we have gotten down to no bars 3 times, but realized quickly that there are still about 10 miles left after the last bar disappears. No turtle mode yet!

The worst part about inelegant (and I'm being kind there) reports like these is it gives a-holes like this guy more FUD:

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/11/10/nissan-leaf-fails-real-life-test-miserably" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting commentaries by reviewers. Obviously they began their test drive expecting the worst and their wishes were fulfilled. Remember, there are some people out there who are just naturally displeased with everything -- including their own lives -- and do their best to bring out the worst of any situation. Part of this attitude is the "entitlement philosophy" whereby the person fervently believes that someone else is getting more than they are and that they deserve more of what the "other person" receives. Of course, any discussion of the entitlement philosophy rapidly turns political, so I will refrain for more discourse on that. People such as the ones who wrote the reviews are most likely biased in favor of the ICE and simply cannot get their heads around the idea of an alternate to the daily commute or trip to the supermarket. I am not saying anything here that we didn't know before; we will see these kinds of reports in the future also, to be sure. I'll save my $300 per month in gasoline and spend it on booze and they can continue to look for another handout someplace else.

mwalsh said:
The worst part about inelegant (and I'm being kind there) reports like these is it gives a-holes like this guy more FUD:

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/11/10/nissan-leaf-fails-real-life-test-miserably" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is just a minor hit piece from the NLPC. It's a spittle-driven organization funded by a guy who's never worked a day in his life, Richard Scaife. He's been playing with grand-dad Mellon's banking and oil money for decades. I'm kind of disappointed the author didn't call Ghosn an Islamo-fascist since that's a strong meme of this group.

This is the part that bugged me:

"This electric experiment definitely forces you to think about your driving and always leave at least a 20-mile cushion."

This is exactly the wrong thinking. You don't need 20 mile or any cushion because your destination recharges the vehicle. She cannot seem to change her mindset from gasoline where you need a cushion to go find fuel the next day. The truth is she can arrive with zero range and in a few hours have 100 miles back and a car preheated.

The point about freezing in the car was lame. At least she was not standing out in the freezing rain to refill her gasoline car :roll: And of course she could have fully charged, preheated the Leaf and TURN THE HEATER ON. :shock:

I would make comment on the article but it gets annoying to sign up to every publication to set the story straight.
What the hey, I broke down and posted it.

mwalsh said:

NIPC isn't a typical conservative think tank. It's the propaganda unit of Richard Mellon Scaife and Big Oil. http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=National_Legal_and_Policy_Center. Their "objective reports" attack EV's, solar power, and wind power.

Again and again the press takes cars home with no L2 charger available , and very little product knowledge.

then they make bone head moves like not plugging in when they have L1 access. :roll:

They should all point out in their comments the difference a home L2 would make and that no one is advised to get a leaf with some L2 at home.

walterbays said:
mwalsh said:

NIPC isn't a typical conservative think tank. It's the propaganda unit of Richard Mellon Scaife and Big Oil. http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=National_Legal_and_Policy_Center. Their "objective reports" attack EV's, solar power, and wind power.

It's obvious that guy has a well worn agenda, but critically, he didn't spew anything that wasn't accurate; just not flattering, and of course, not the full story.

It does make a high pitched whine. Others have mentioned that noise. Naturally, you wouldn't be able to hear that sound in an ICE. It would be nice if Nissan make those gears slightly less straight cut (this is an efficiency issue.... to quiet the gear set might be 0.128374923847% less efficient).

The recharging station issues are real. The rear passenger comments might be accurate for EVERY smallish car ever made, EV or ICE. At 6'2", I don't fit well in the back seat.

And finally, the government is financing Nissan in this venture. That's a fact. Of course, the government also subsidizes oil in many ways.

"There is also no market need for an EV with an annoying high-pitched whine, recharging stations mostly out of the car’s reach, and minimal passenger room, but that hasn’t stopped Nissan from making it, nor has it stopped the government from forcing taxpayers to finance its mass production."

the ever-classy rush limbaugh did a complete hit-run- job on EV's today, jumping off on this story about a garage fire at the house of a Volt with a Siemens EVSE.
he called us owners arrogant and smug, and said it gave him great pleasure to report the below.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15986760/duke-energy-puts-electric-charging-station-program-on-hold-after-house-fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On Tuesday, Duke Energy announced that it's asking its customers participating in an electric cars pilot program to stop using their home's electric charging station while the blaze is being investigated.

Yes, I listen to Rush to know what the enemy is doing. Usually have to change the station after 2 minutes. Today, I hung in there -- all the while driving my Leaf -- to hear his full screed, which included plentiful reading from the Consumer Reports blog.

In keeping with his coverage and apologias for spermin' Herman Cain, he called the woman reporter a reporterette.

thankyouOB said:
the ever-classy rush limbaugh did a complete hit-run- job on EV's today, jumping off on this story about a garage fire at the house of a Volt with a Siemens EVSE.
he called us owners arrogant and smug, and said it gave him great pleasure to report the below.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15986760/duke-energy-puts-electric-charging-station-program-on-hold-after-house-fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On Tuesday, Duke Energy announced that it's asking its customers participating in an electric cars pilot program to stop using their home's electric charging station while the blaze is being investigated.

Yes, I listen to Rush to know what the enemy is doing. Usually have to change the station after 2 minutes. Today, I hung in there -- all the while driving my Leaf -- to hear his full screed, which included plentiful reading from the Consumer Reports blog.

In keeping with his coverage and apologias for spermin' Herman Cain, he called the woman reporter a reporterette.

Yeah, I caught part of that a few minutes ago .. Limbaugh is an ignorant asshole. No other way to describe him and his ilk. :evil:

I posted a reply to the CR blog. Here's what I wrote:
@ctmeche

What major lifestyle changes? I, like 66% of American households, own more than one car. All I have to do is choose my Prius for any trips beyond the range of my Leaf. So all this talk about its range is just nonsense for 2+ car households. Add to that fact that the average daily commute is 32 miles. A leaf is perfect for that and a trip to the mall or whatever without any problems.

I had to learn to plug in my car when I get home. I don't think that qualifies as a lifestyle change.

I also have to keep reminding myself not to take my car in for oil changes, tune ups, transmission fluid checks, and belt & hose replacements. It's pretty rough. ;)

I agree with Dave that the report was disingenuous. Having a person take a Leaf home for the weekend without being properly equipped (no 240V charger) or trained (no knowledge of charging it every night or heating it via the timer) is just asking for a bad experience.

Give someone an RV for a weekend with no training. They'll complain that the engine's A/C didn't adequately cool it, because they didn't know about the separate A/C run by the generator -- that they didn't know about. They'll complain that the toilet fills up after a day or so because they didn't know about dumping the tank, etc, etc, etc.

Give them a Bose headset to review and don't tell them it's battery operated. They'll complain they get no sound at all.

Give them any sufficiently advanced piece of technology that is different enough from what they know -- and don't give them ANY training on how it works -- and you'll get a review like this one.

I am a long time fan and subscriber of CR. This is the first thing I read from their ranks that disappoints me.

The article really reflects how Consumer Reports should stay out of the automobile industry. ZERO effort was made to have the car perform as designed. My perception is most people expect Consumer reports writers to make some minimal effort to know the product. Next time she tests a vacuum I hope she remembers to plug it in before claiming it has poor cleaning ability ;)

Back