Control Module Industries EVSE LLC Residential Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

This company is planning lots of different designs. This is the residential model.

Control%20Module%20Industries%20EVSE%20LLC_EVSE.png

We have posted some new brochures and a presentation from the company here:
http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories/controlmod-evsellc-evse

One interesting thing is that they're promising pretty high power levels (74 amps @ 240VAC)

The Power Share feature also appears to be unique.

Our Power Share unit addresses a major issue, especially at residential installations. Many homes and multi-dwelling units will not have enough power to accommodate a Level 2 Charger at 40A. This means a new owner of an EV will have to spend time and money to rewire their home to upgrade their electrical service. Our Power Share unit eliminates these costs by using an existing 208-240VAC electrical appliance (electric stove, water heater, dryer). While the vehicle is charging an EV owner might turn on their dryer. Power Share senses this call for power, stops charging the vehicle and surrenders power to the dryer. When the dryer stops, Power Share senses the power drop and resumes charging the vehicle."

No clue on UL listing or price yet.

Interesting - to get the power share feature to work I imagine that they'd have to install the EVSE in the middle of the appliance feed so that the EVSE can monitor current while it's charging.

drees said:
Interesting - to get the power share feature to work I imagine that they'd have to install the EVSE in the middle of the appliance feed so that the EVSE can monitor current while it's charging.
Or put current transformers ahead of the main breaker to keep the EVSE from drawing current which would overload the panel when other heavy current draws are present.

The energy management is just an off the shelf relay. Nothing new.

Example of 20a 120v : http://www.parallaxpower.com/ALS 20/ALS 20.pdf

I would like to see some actual sharing to get multiple cars charged from a single circuit. So one could get all 32a, two could get a full 16a, or three could get 10a apiece. It will not be long until that lone connection at your favorite stop never seems available. Even at home two vehicles could share a 40a circuit and each get 16a. Should be an easy circuit design to change the max amps signal to the EV. Assuming it could be changed on the fly or it could stop for a moment then offer the lower rating.

I don't see how this is "just a relay". They all have relays.

If this would let someone double-up on the electric oven breakers, that could save a sub-panel expansion.

I like the idea, even if I don't need it myself.

Back