Convertible?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lne937s

I would like for there to be an electric convertible. The low center of gravity from the centrally located batteries in a shorter-wheelbase sporty car would make it handle amazingly well. Without the engine- no engine fumes, no engine noise, and no engine heat. It would make top-down cruising a lot of fun with no need for AC in most circumstances. I'm not talking about a $$$$ exotic, but something affordable. Maybe something like the Renault Wind:

http://www.renault.com/en/Vehicules/renault/Pages/wind.aspx

http://www.renault.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Communiqué%20de%20presse/en-EN/Pieces%20jointes/23169_DP-E33_GB_MD_F0FAA06F.pdf

The big problem there is going to be the reduction in efficiency. You would be adding a lot of drag to the vehicle. I just don't think batteries are good enough for that yet. Though I would like to be wrong.

dallasmay said:
The big problem there is going to be the reduction in efficiency. You would be adding a lot of drag to the vehicle. I just don't think batteries are good enough for that yet. Though I would like to be wrong.

compounded by weight increase also.....

hodad66 said:
dallasmay said:

And much weight for reinforcement as well.

EVDRIVER said:
hodad66 said:
dallasmay said:

Hodad's already got the weight increase covered - you don't need to double it. ;)

EVDRIVER said:
hodad66 said:
dallasmay said:

A sunroof would be nice.

Yodrak said:
Yes, a sunroof is what I want.

walterbays said:
A sunroof would be nice.

More weight, less rigidity which is an issue in an EV because the bottom is cut out, this makes a big difference on handling. Just look at all the Prius body mods and updates.

How much more weight - for the sun roof itself? A couple of pounds?

Regarding rigidity, a sun roof has a frame that is stronger than the sheet metal was. And as far as "the bottom is cut out", I've read that the battery pack increases the structural rigidity over what it would otherwise be because of the strength required of the battery assembly to support the weight of the batteries.

Could you please explain more about this, because on the surface it does not seem to make sense and I am not aware of the Prius issues you refer to. Thanks.

EVDRIVER said:
Yodrak said:
Yes, a sunroof is what I want.

walterbays said:
A sunroof would be nice.

More weight, less rigidity which is an issue in an EV because the bottom is cut out, this makes a big difference on handling. Just look at all the Prius body mods and updates.

Back