COSTCO not planning EV chargers upgrade...unless we request

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up some orange chicken today and dropped a comment card on the way out. I figure its a long shot we get any in Austin but hey it was almost zero effort to request it.

surfingslovak said:
I'm sort of new to J1772, but unless I'm missing something this could be as simple as replacing the Avcon plugs with new J1772 plugs. Significantly easier, cheaper and faster than replacing entire charging stations. I used one of similarly upgraded units at Silver Spring Networks in Redwood City couple of weeks ago and everything was fine. One of the EV DIY forum members blogged up this procedure as well:

http://www.tzev.com/j1772_avcon_head_connector_conversion.html

That being said, I have just purchased an Avcon adapter and don't expect that the upgrades will be fast and furious. The Costco response is symptomatic I'd say.
You really think Costco's (or any other large corporation for that matter) leadership / management would bless the "simple! ... we'll just re-wire 'em!" mentality and turn a UL approved appliance into what would then be a non-UL device? Chances are, the red flags of potential liability would even make the suggestion of doing something like this stink to high heaven ... regardless of how bullet proof it may be.

garygid said:
My nearest Costco (Laguna Niguel, I believe) had all 3 EV spaces marked "for tire dept. use only" (or similar wording), with nothing parked there.

Nothing appeared functional.
The Irvine Costco is just 1 1/2 blocks from the MetroLink station ... it has nearly a dozen LPI and SPI chargers, as well as a "yazaki" plug !!

sae-yazaki-7-plug.jpg

These dinosaurs haven't been used for about 15 years . . . yet there they sit . . . wasting what could easily be a perfect place to charge . . . for a full day too . . . not like costco where you may end up staying at for an hour or so. Yet the Irvine train station's chargers (even if you DID have a RAV-4) have signs stating NO parking, unless you belong to Irvine University's private little EV group. What's up with that.

I couldn't agree more. aiming low is a mistake, IMHO, we should ask for j1772 L2 and even CHAdeMO L3 at a place like costco where they already sell fuel and can more easily wrap their heads around investing in the infrastructure for providing and even selling electricity. those who are willing to modify their 120 V stock EVSE's may seem high in number now, but once the mainstream catches on to EV's, the number of people willing to modify their equipment will probably be the minority. We should keep the request simple and to the standard for insurance/liability and practicality reasons. L1 plugs are a waste of time for all but one's work place and long term parking like airports, IMHO.
I've put in a request for L2 EVSE's at the Shoreline Coscto. Hope others do as well. Once the 6.6 W chargers are standard in LEAF's, L2 is going to go a long way to making a half hour to hour "shop and charge" a viable reality.

g

BudRaymond said:
I would like to reiterate what a previous post stated regarding outlets vs. j1772. We should not confuse the issue by requesting varying forms of charging infrastructure. Even though 110/220 outlets are cheaper, I do not believe the cost is going to be an obstacle with Costco. They will decide they do or do not want to participate on other factors, presumably member benefit, corporate image, and liability exposure.

Please do not fracture our message.

It would seem from the few contacts forum members have made with Costco personnel so far that a unified Costco Corporate position has not yet gelled. However, at least some people in the company are talking about it, and perhaps the whole juggernaut can be coaxed along with some persistent and positive encouragement. My first contact was a short conversation with an assistant manager and the guys in the tire shop. Here's how my second contact with papers in hand went . . .

I printed and dropped off a package of information and an application to get free replacement Clipper Creek EVSEs at the Lancaster CA Costco yesterday. I also attached a personal note with my phone # thanking him for his efforts and pointed him at the contacts listed on the forms for more detailed information. The store manager was not in, but the manager on duty took it and said he would make sure it got to him. Interestingly, he also volunteered that not only had they already been talking internally (I didn't clarify if that meant the Lancaster store only or at the corporate HQ level) about replacing the two aged SPI and AVCON units, but they had also been brainstorming where quick charge units might go as part of the gas station facility. At this site, there is a smaller parking lot between the gas station and car wash that looks like an obvious spot. The Lancaster Costco is located adjacent to the L St exit from the SR14 freeway.

I made the point several times that the change would be free, and he acknowledged the not-so-mild emphasis with a smile and response of "That's the kind of price we all appreciate!"

Nice work. As I've stated several times, I see no reason why they shouldn't at least do the free conversions. If this is what it takes to make it happen, so be it. Can you post links to the documents you mentioned about the free upgrades? I know the program exists, but I have no idea where to find the paperwork. I would like to approach my local store in a similar fashion.

Thanks!

GeekEV said:
Nice work. As I've stated several times, I see no reason why they shouldn't at least do the free conversions. If this is what it takes to make it happen, so be it. Can you post links to the documents you mentioned about the free upgrades? I know the program exists, but I have no idea where to find the paperwork. I would like to approach my local store in a similar fashion.

Thanks!

Actually, the "free conversions" needs some clarity-- Does it apply to ALL existing AVCON units of any make/model (other than ClipperCreek's ?) ?

And, what about the old "Paddle units"? Does they qualify for the free upgrade as well?

My local Costco has 2 of these units: One is the old Paddle and the other is an AVCON device. The AVCON model is ICS-200 Intelligent Charging System made by EVI. EVI is Electric Vehicle Infrastructure. The sticker says they are based in Auburn, California. Will this one qualify for the free upgrade??

Coincidently, ClipperCreek is also based in Auburn, CA. Are they the same company??

mxp said:
The AVCON model is ICS-200 Intelligent Charging System made by EVI. EVI is Electric Vehicle Infrastructure. The sticker says they are based in Auburn, California.

Coincidently, ClipperCreek is also based in Auburn, CA. Are they the same company??
Basically ... yes. (Unable to confirm your other questions.)

mxp said:
Actually, the "free conversions" needs some clarity-- Does it apply to ALL existing AVCON units of any make/model (other than ClipperCreek's ?) ?
I need more clarity in those questions too. I was hoping the documentation might help...

I just got onto the Costco website and sent them a message about upgrading their chargers.

It seems Best Buy has already committed to L2 chargers at 12 locations: http://www.plugincars.com/best-buy-install-electric-car-charging-stations-part-ev-project-90080.html

and more recently, IKEA jumped on board with a commitment to install chargers in 10 locations: http://electriccarsreport.com/2011/07/ikea-to-install-blink-charging-stations-in-select-us-locations/

It doesn't hurt to ask!

GeekEV said:

Thanks!

For those of you who have asked about the paperwork I took into our local Costco, just PM me with your email addresses and I'll send the files back as attachments. Perhaps one of you more tech-savvy types could then save it in a public file and then post the links here?

Note: An extra dose of patience on your parts may be in order while I respond -- we are currently between ISPs and I have to trek to Starbucks or similar free wifi locales to get online. ;) Tough duty!

FYI, the paperwork and associated funding to replace heritage units is for California locations. However, some of you in other states might use it as the basis for similar efforts.

UPDATE: Just spoke with the store manager, only to discovery the paperwork I dropped off never got to him. He offered that he is indeed interested in upgrading the existing units, and "free" is a price he could afford. He gave me his email address so the paper would not get lost again.

He also commented that in his year at this store and five years at the Burbank warehouse he had only seen one car using the charge stations. I'm not sure he is correct, but he believes the store is legally obligated to maintain the spaces and provide charging. Could be an agreement with the local city gov't which gave up a bit of the adjacent park to make room for the store or could be a state thing.

mxp said:

http://www.clippercreek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=162
...The partners originally joined forces back in 1993 to create EVI, a pioneer in EVSE charge stations... ClipperCreek was formed in 2006...

http://www.energy.ca.gov/business_meetings/2011_packets/2011-04-20/Item_10_Clipper_Creek.pdf
...ClipperCreek, as its predecessor company, EVI, installed at least half of the existing electric vehicle infrastructure in California...

Back