Crude Practical Range Test on 3 Year Old Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoaty

I had a doctors appointment this morning that was 35 miles away, decided it would be a good time for a crude, but practical range test. My previous range tests are recorded here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7928&p=228327&hilit=lbw#p228327" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Route: over 90% freeway with about 2,000 feet gain and loss (ended back at home)
Speed: 52 MPH when traffic allowed, had about 15 miles when speeds were 20-30 MPH due to traffic
Driver Attire: "No One Messes with the Weasel" T-shirt; mentioned for completeness, probably didn't affect the results ;)
Air temp: 69-77 degrees F. during trip (variable)
Battery temp: Started 73 degrees F., ended 77 degrees F.

Starting SOC at full charge after significant time for balancing in several charges over the last few days: 92.5%
Starting Gids (full charge, balanced): 225
Gids at half way point: 128
Gids arriving home (70 miles): 59

Gids used for drive to destination: 97 (more elevation gain than for the return trip)
Gids used for return trip: 69

Comments:

Test not directly comparable to previous tests for several reasons:

1) Different route with significantly less elevation gain than the previous test, which involved the 2,000 feet elevation gain twice during the test
2) Earlier tests done before P3227 update, calculation of Gids may have changed
3) More favorable conditions for test this time - a lot of 20-30 MPH traffic which would use less energy

Nevertheless, I am pleased that my Leaf can still do 70 miles without hitting LBW. Of course, this is largely due to my ultra-conservative driving style. A second reason may be keeping the SOC as low as reasonable during the life of my Leaf.

Thanks for the update. As another 2011 owner, I too have been following your battery use and efficiency driving protocols. I will post my 3-yr results in August with another run at a 100 miles. Maybe I will get the LeafSpy by then for more accurate reporting. Also, we now have a public Blink L2 in the area and near my previous route, so that will provide back up if necessary.

Back