Curly wire in charging door

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ispud

We have had our leaf for about 6 weeks and like it a lot. My one concern so far is the heavy curly wire that gets in the way of the plug every time you plug it in. One would think that area would be left clear. Every time I go to plug it in I have to move this wire out of the way. Am I being to picky??

:)>>

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I suspect that no one has replied since we have no idea what that curly wire could be.

My recommendation is it take your car to a Nissan dealer and ask them if you can compare what is behind your charging door to what is behind the charging door of a LEAF on their lot. I suspect you will not find that wire on the car in the lot. Given that, I would then ask them to fix it.

Good luck!

The curly wire goes to the light on the door so you can see the charge port in the dark. Many on this forum asked for it and Nissan put it in. The location of the wire is kind of cheesy but it works. I would think you would have to do a lot of charges before you would ever wear through the wire. The wire on my car just clears the connector when you are putting in the EVSE plug. If yours is hanging in the way of the port, just push it aside or ask the dealer to try and adjust it out of the way (i.e. an additional wrap on the wire)

siai said:
The curly wire goes to the light on the door so you can see the charge port in the dark.
They put the charge port light on the door?? The picture that Ingineer took of the charge port light showed it next to the charge ports, not on the door with a wire dangling down! I wonder if that was a Japanese model 2013 LEAF and they are different than the US models. Or perhaps this is a difference between the S trim level and the other trim levels?

Does anyone have a picture of this charge port light mounted on the charge door? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

9536087549_22d8ab4746_o.jpg

This wire is the connector for the forward facing camera mounted in the charge port door. I agree that it is somewhat inconveniently placed, but I can't offer a better option myself. The light is below the text and indeed on the body of the car as thought with no wires intruding into the charge port.

joewaters said:
This wire is the connector for the forward facing camera mounted in the charge port door. I agree that it is somewhat inconveniently placed, but I can't offer a better option myself.
+1
This is part of the Around View Monitor included in the 13MY Premium Package. There should be no need to have to push the cord away when plugging in. It helps if, when plugging-in, the connector approaches the receptacle slightly from your left. The cord naturally moves to the side as you plug in gently nudging it to the side.

kovalb said:
There should be no need to have to push the cord away when plugging in.
It helps if, when plugging-in, the connector approaches the receptacle slightly from your left.
The cord naturally moves to the side as you plug in gently nudging it to the side.
I feel the urge to mention that, as in the picture, with the J1772 cover open and the charge port door fully open, the curly cord will not be in the way at all. The only times I noticed the cord is when I was trying to plug in with the charge port door at 'half mast'.

an alternative to lighting up the charge port:
put the headlights on auto and shut down the car. lock the front door and plug in, using the headlights for illumination.
the lights shut off 45 seconds after you lock the front door.

thankyouOB said:
an alternative to lighting up the charge port:
put the headlights on auto and shut down the car. lock the front door and plug in, using the headlights for illumination.
the lights shut off 45 seconds after you lock the front door.

+1
That's what I do.
If you park against anything (garage, wall, etc.) the reflection is almost too much.
Seeing the plug is not a problem

kovalb said:
joewaters said:
This wire is the connector for the forward facing camera mounted in the charge port door. I agree that it is somewhat inconveniently placed, but I can't offer a better option myself.
+1
This is part of the Around View Monitor included in the 13MY Premium Package. There should be no need to have to push the cord away when plugging in. It helps if, when plugging-in, the connector approaches the receptacle slightly from your left. The cord naturally moves to the side as you plug in gently nudging it to the side.
Yep. I'm pretty sure the coiled wire is for the camera, as you mention.

I've not found it really getting in the way myself.

joewaters said:
This wire is the connector for the forward facing camera mounted in the charge port door.
Thanks. That makes a lot more sense than putting a light on that door. So it sounds like this issue only affects a small percentage of 2013 LEAFs.

Back