DC Charging Standards

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpa2825

Am I correct in understanding that there are 3 different DC plugs? Leaf has CHAdeMo, SAE has one and isn't Tesla's proprietary?

Without references to VHS/Beta and the Tower of Babel, is there a possibility of an adapter or something similar to allow universal charging? If so, that would greatly consolidate and increase the infrastructure, wouldn't it?

(Sorry for the naive question. I am sure someone knowledgeable will quickly explain why this is not technically possible, but it has been bothering me.)

The basics of all three types are pretty much the same: Variable high-voltage and vehicle-to-charger communication.

The plugs are different and the communication systems are different, however we do know that there are companies already preparing to do DC Quick Chargers with both the SAE and CHAdeMO standards on the same box.

Last I checked, no cars had been manufactured with the SAE DCQC port, so until they start to be sold I wouldn't consider it a factor.

DarkStar said:
The basics of all three types are pretty much the same: Variable high-voltage and vehicle-to-charger communication.

The plugs are different and the communication systems are different, however we do know that there are companies already preparing to do DC Quick Chargers with both the SAE and CHAdeMO standards on the same box.

Last I checked, no cars had been manufactured with the SAE DCQC port, so until they start to be sold I wouldn't consider it a factor.
That will change soon. At the Bay Area Maker Faire, Chevy was showing off & giving test drives of the Spark which has an L3(?) version of the J1772 outlet.

Back