Dead Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmoe1164

I purchased my Leaf 9 days ago. Yesterday I discovered it would not accept a charge, either from my trickle charger at 110 or my level 2 charger at 240V. Took it to the dealer this AM. I live in Hawaii on the Island of Oahu. Dealer said they had to download some data from the car and transmit it to some entity on the Mainland. They're keepkng the car until at least next Monday. Already I'm thinking good things about the Lemon Law.

Gary

Sorry to hear you are having a bad start with the Leaf. Fortunately, reports of this kind on the forum are very rare, and once the problem is fixed you should be good to go. I wouldn't worry about the Lemon law. Nissan will be all over this.

Gizmoe1164 said:
I purchased my Leaf 9 days ago. Yesterday I discovered it would not accept a charge, either from my trickle charger at 110 or my level 2 charger at 240V. Took it to the dealer this AM. I live in Hawaii on the Island of Oahu. Dealer said they had to download some data from the car and transmit it to some entity on the Mainland. They're keepkng the car until at least next Monday. Already I'm thinking good things about the Lemon Law.

Gary

What was the charge state of the battery when it didn't accept a charge?

Congrats and welcome, some "problems" are very simple but unfortunately dealers do not have much experience yet. I am very positive you will be very happy with your Leaf

Presumably, in the 8 days prior to the "fail-to-charge", your car
charged normally, right?

Did anything different or unusual happen between the time it last
charged properly, and the time it did not charge?

For example, did you try the Heater, or some other feature
for the first time?

Most likely is a poor connection some where in the charging wiring.
The most common problem is the J1772 Plug not getting sufficiently
well "seated" into the car's charging socket.

A couple of cars had the Control Pilot diode "open".

Did you or the dealer try all Timers OFF?

Nissan has been GREAT about handling these (few) quirky problems.
Each one helps them improve their manufacturing and testing,
I presume.

Overall, there have been few problems, and MANY totally
problem-free LEAFs (like mine).

Those reported here with some initial problem have been fixed
and now have very happy owners, driving (almost) daily.

Let us know what is discovered.
Sorry for your inconvenience.

Joke: Isn't Hawaii so small, like Rhode Island, that one can walk
from one side to the other in a couple of hours? :lol:

KLQL8N said:
If the 12 volt battery is dead, the LEAF 24V battery will not charge!!

24V ? Do you mean 300+V "traction pack" main battery?

Hey Gary I'm in Hawaii soon to be leaf owner buying from tony Nissan in Waipahu this this get fixed what's goin on?

We have the car back from the dealership now. King Windward Nissan in Kaneohe. They gave us a gas guzzeling loaner while the Leaf was in for repair. I've been in contact with GE Resolve. GE sent a replacement Wattstation with a FEDEX return label to send back the Wattstation I purchased at Lowes. I've agreed to not use it until the GE and NISSAN engineers get their act together, so it's the Nissan supplied L1 charger for now. Interesting note here is that GE Resolve must have gotten their collective wires crossed, because they actually FEDEX'd me two Wattstations a day apart....anybody want to buy a Wattstation? We live in Kailua and recently took a half circle island tour in the Leaf. Drove up the windward side of the island thru the North Shore area, H2 to H1 then back to Kailua on the H3. Stopped at Tony Nissan along the way for an hour's charge on their L2 while the wife and I shopped at the nearby Costco. We ran the AC the whole way cuz we recently got the windows tinted and were advised not to lower the windows for at least 3 days. Got home with 16 miles left on the batteries. Not bad I'd say, and probably really did not need that extra hour's charge at Tony Nissan. Carwings drives us nuts. I really don't care about how many trees I've saved. Is there a way to shut that feature OFF?

Gary

The dealer repaired my dead LEAF and provided a loaner for the 10 days or so it took to ship in a new on board charging unit. I've been in contact with NISSAN USA Customer Service and have been informed that should I choose to reconnect my LEAF to my GE WattStation, and the OBC fails again, it will continue to be covered under warranty, however, before I do that I'm for sure going to get that in writing.

FYI.. There's a bug doing with power line instability that it will cause the Leaf to stop charging.

Article here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/27/nissan-pins-leaf-wattstation-charging-woes-on-a-software-bug/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, we have at least one other thread all about that:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9543" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back