Deciding between two 2013 Leafs: lower miles or more bars? (Need answer fast!)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
commasense said:
jjeff said:
I thought all Leafs had a backup camera :? I mean my bargain basement '13 S does and the only option I believe it had was the faster charger and QC port..... my '12 also has a nice backup camera, I had thought that maybe just some of the '11's lacked a camera.....
Yeah, I thought so, too, which is why I didn't think to check on it before I drove it away. I didn't realize that without the Premium package that included Bose stereo (which I wouldn't pay a penny extra for) and AroundView (which I don't like as much as the ordinary backup camera), you got no camera at all. Annoying, but it might be a fun project to install my own camera, since the TCU will accept it.
Very odd, what model did you get? Again my '13 S model which is very basic, came with a camera and I don't have the Bose stereo, just the basic Nissan single disc CD radio with XM. I know mine had the upgraded charger and QC port but I thought that was the only option....maybe I'm remembering wrong, oh and mine just has the standard camera, not the all around model. Note while my '12 SL also just has the standard camera(and no Bose) it's camera is slightly better and shows more where your going to end up, oh it also has a much larger screen which is nice.

Backup cameras weren't required by the government until 2015 (?) so the camera was an option until either 2014 or 2015. I imagine that quite a few SV (and SL!!!) buyers and lessees were dismayed to make that discovery.

LeftieBiker said:
Backup cameras weren't required by the government until 2015 (?) so the camera was an option until either 2014 or 2015. I imagine that quite a few SV (and SL!!!) buyers and lessees were dismayed to make that discovery.
I doubt many buyers were "dismayed". It was an option, most people buying new cars test drive them first and know what options are on the car they buy. Besides that, it isn't a government mandate for all vehicles until May 2018. This year 10% require it, next year 40%, May 2018 100%.

Firetruck41 said:
LeftieBiker said:
I doubt many buyers were "dismayed". It was an option, most people buying new cars test drive them first and know what options are on the car they buy. Besides that, it isn't a government mandate for all vehicles until May 2018. This year 10% require it, next year 40%, May 2018 100%.

I can guarantee that there are people out there driving an SL who thought (or were told) it would have a backup camera, only to discover after the sale that it doesn't. There were also quite a few SVs sold without them.

Firetruck41 said:
commasense said:
Apparently, since I don't have one. But then why did jjeff's S have one?
"2013 SV did not have a camera as standard."

It was an option. Mine doesn't have one either.
I just looked at the invoice for my '13S and a "RearView Monitor" was included with my "Charger Package" which included the "6.6kw in-vehicle charger" and "quick charge port". So there you have it, apparently if you have a "S" model and it has a QC package it includes the single lens backup camera. On a side note, if you got the SV apparently the "charger Package" didn't give you a backup camera, instead you got "LED Headlights, Quick Charger port, Fog Lights and Automatic on/off headlights" to get a camera on the '13 SV you had to order the "premium package" which gave you "all around view monitor and Bose 7-speaker sound".
So it sounds like with a SV your only option is the "all around view monitor" in the Premium package and you can't just get the simple one camera backup camera like on my '13 S with the relatively cheap charger package.
Actually this may have been one of the reasons I went with the "S" over the more expensive SV, I remember there was a reason I actually wanted the S over SV, not just the lower cost. It sounds like this is one of those cases where less gives you more :D
Note by '14 "rear view monitor" was standard across all models. What I don't know is if it's the "all around" rearview monitor or just the one camera model......from paperwork I have they just say "rear view monitor" standard in all models, so I'd have to assume that meant "all around".....

Just found a '14 Leaf brochure and it confirms all models now have a backup camera standard but if you purchased the SV or SL model and the premium package you get the upgraded "all around camera"(as well as Bose audio). This was the same as '13 with the exception of in '13 neither the S or SV came standard with any camera and I don't believe a SV came with any camera other than the "all around camera" again only available by purchasing the premium package. I know you have a '13 but just wanted to pass this on for anyone else wondering about the '14 models :) Kind of a confusing situation with cameras and the '13 model year :?

I think that in '13 you could get an SV without premium Package but with an optional backup camera. I think that the first Leaf I test-drove was one of those. I also believe, IIRC, that '13 was the only year in which you could get both the Premium and Quick Charge packages together. Maybe '14 as well. but not '15...

LeftieBiker said:
I think that in '13 you could get an SV without premium Package but with an optional backup camera. I think that the first Leaf I test-drove was one of those. I also believe, IIRC, that '13 was the only year in which you could get both the Premium and Quick Charge packages together. Maybe '14 as well. but not '15...
If thats the case then it contradicts my brochures......of course brochures could be wrong too :D
For sure '13 was a confusing year for backup cameras :?

Back